Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

What is the current status of AI/autonomous piloting?

I imagine very few people in the next decade would feel comfortable getting onto a plane without a pilot, but it's quite possible that this will be a realistic option in the future, as long as there's a back-up mechanism for someone on the ground to land a plane with some type of catastrophic technological/communication failure.

An Airbus pretty much flies itself so its almost there

This was tweeted 5 hours ago but unless I missed it, no one posted it:

RT @michaeljduarte: Source: Bryce Harper’s meeting with #Phillies Saturday went “very, very, very well,” I’m not sure if Philadelphia has pulled their offer to Machado, but they expect to make an offer to Harper.

An opt out after 3 would make a LOT more sense to the Phillies, especially if they fail to get Nola to extend into his 1st free agency year.

For the White Sox, 4 is much more critical.

That's ONE big advantage the Phillies have here, they really need him THIS year and NEXT, but they might not want to be tied into that contract if things don't go as well as planned or the Braves become a mini-dynasty.

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

What is the current status of AI/autonomous piloting?

I imagine very few people in the next decade would feel comfortable getting onto a plane without a pilot, but it's quite possible that this will be a realistic option in the future, as long as there's a back-up mechanism for someone on the ground to land a plane with some type of catastrophic technological/communication failure.

To be fair, my unprofessional impression is that most commercial air travel these days is handled by autopilot. The humans are there for takeoff, landing, radio comms, disasters, and small adjustments in between. Don't know how I'd feel about boarding a plane completely dependent on computers though. I'd say that's a looooong way off, but who knows- I'm still in a bit of awe when I go into Chili's and pay via a tablet stationed on my own table.

3 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

RT @michaeljduarte: Source: Bryce Harper’s meeting with #Phillies Saturday went “very, very, very well,” I’m not sure if Philadelphia has pulled their offer to Machado, but they expect to make an offer to Harper.

Pulling their offer to show they're 100% onboard the Harper/Boras train?   That sounds like perhaps not the wisest decision...

1 minute ago, The Sir said:

To be fair, my unprofessional impression is that most commercial air travel these days is handled by autopilot. The humans are there for takeoff, landing, radio comms, disasters, and small adjustments in between. Don't know how I'd feel about boarding a plane completely dependent on computers though. I'd say that's a looooong way off, but who knows- I'm still in a bit of awe when I go into Chili's and pay via a tablet stationed on my own table.

I read somewhere that on an Airbus a320 the pilot hand flies 14 total minutes. 7 to takeoff and 7 to land

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Nightengale said the Phillies were going to make a formal offer to Harper this week

Edited by Saufley

1 minute ago, Saufley said:

Nightengale said the Phillies were going to make an offer to Harper this week

No way they will lose any advantage they may have by taking a chance at pulling an offer off the table for the other whale

Edited by beckham15

12 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

Could you do something along the lines with the writing in his contract that if after the first 3 years he doesn’t opt out his contract it guarantees to put him in the top 3 payroll wise every year there after?

That’s kind of how Albert Belle’s contract worked.  Basically gave him the right to opt-out if not one of the three highest paid players.  I’d be game for something that for sure (after year 3) although I’d probably want it to be top 5 given Trout & Harper at minimum could surpass it in a couple of years.

Feels like a reservoir dogs end-scene type situation

all parties are pointing a gun at each other

But in part, The Phillies and Sox help each other so they can each get one player...and the two agents sort of help each other to try to drive up $$ for the other side (by letting it drag out). So as much as we hate it, dragging out the process helps both sides in the negotiation...players union & owners

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That’s kind of how Albert Belle’s contract worked.  Basically gave him the right to opt-out if not one of the three highest paid players.  I’d be game for something that for sure (after year 3) although I’d probably want it to be top 5 given Trout & Harper at minimum could surpass it in a couple of years.

How about an opt out after year 3 if we haven’t made the playoffs yet in 2019, 2020, or 2021?  If we do make the postseason at least once in those three years, it kicks in after year 4. 

Or do you never want to tie wins/losses/team results into the contract of a player if it means a negative outcome of the team means a positive for an individual player?

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m talking about pay raises automatically that would guarantee he stays in the top 3 if he decides to stay and not opt out is what I’m grtting at 

3 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

I’m talking about pay raises automatically that would guarantee he stays in the top 3 if he decides to stay and not opt out is what I’m grtting at 

Then what happens if three other players have the same deal?  

7 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

Oh gotcha.  That to me would be risky, because all it takes is one more crazy contract after Trout & Betts and we could be looking at some reallly ugly years at the end of the deal.  At least with the Belle framework, the club has some level of control.

11 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

How about an opt out after year 3 if we haven’t made the playoffs yet in 2019, 2020, or 2021?  If we do make the postseason at least once in those three years, it kicks in after year 4. 

Or do you never want to tie wins/losses/team results into the contract of a player if it means a negative outcome of the team means a positive for an individual player?

That would totally work for me, although  I agree it creates conflicts of interest.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres