Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

These guys are 26 years old, in their peak and among the best in the game, they will get opt-outs. Gives them long term security if they decline ( see Heyward/Ellsbury) or if they are playing well they can opt-out and seek another 10 year deal around age 30. They would be dumb not to insist on an opt-out.

8 minutes ago, Sockin said:

Regarding the opt outs, FWIW in Dave’s tweet earlier he did say he would be surprised if Manny wasn’t a “White Sox for life.”  

I found that curious too. I guess we never did entertain the idea about a contract without an opt out. Maybe the Sox don't want to give him that option.

7 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I found that curious too. I guess we never did entertain the idea about a contract without an opt out. Maybe the Sox don't want to give him that option.

It's too dangerous NOT to.

With the new broadcasting rights deal expiring after the 2024 season, the last thing they'd want is to be locked into a Heyward-like contract for another 5 years if the rebuild fails to lead to a consistent winner and their financial flexibility is dramatically decreased at that point.

The ideal situation would actually be for Harper or Machado to lead the charge into the post-season, play well enough to opt out but then for the homegrown prospects to also be excelling and to get long-term extensions (around 2021-2022) to replace that singular large contract on the payroll.

It also gives them more flexibility about a possible sale of the team in the future.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Kiebs13 said:

Per Jeff passan's latest story, they Sox have an 8 yr offer on the table. 

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25755553/manny-machado-8-year-offer-via-chicago-white-sox

This means a lot more to me than the Nightengale report. He seems to think we'd offer 10 years if necessary, too. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kiebs13 said:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25755553/manny-machado-8-year-offer-via-chicago-white-sox

All we can do it speculate that they're currently somewhere in the $240 to $280 range (probably closer to $240 as their initial offer).

Anything less than $30 million per year is simply not going to work, unless the Phillies were to sign Harper for an A-Rod contract in the next couple of weeks.   Even then, other teams would probably be attracted to jump back in on Machado if the Phillies were already eliminated as a suitor (which a $340-360 million contract would likely do).

7 minutes ago, Kiebs13 said:

This is awesome and makes me feel a lot more confident than the reports of not going over 7 years. 

Edited by Orlando

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres