Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Just now, Tony said:

With contract details now coming out from the best reporter in the game (IMO) this decision should get done here rather quickly. 

I'm conflicted on that. I would tend to agree but his implication, both in the article itself and in his accompanying tweet, that we would go more than 8 years also tells me that there still may be a decent amount of work left to do. 

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Harper, Keuchel, Ottavino.

Thinking big!

I think Keuchel is right out at this point, and it's very unlikely they sign Harper if they sign Machado, but Ottavino would be a good target. After that, I dunno, Gio on a 1-year deal? They need SP really bad.

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

That’s a fair point. Because obviously they are still at an impass somewhere. It just seems like it’s getting real close, something has to break here. 

I’m wondering if this is a “don’t even think about it Yankees we will still outbid you” move.

3 minutes ago, DaGame2584 said:

If or when this FINALLY happens, what moves do the Sox make from here?

Depends on how close it is to a $300 million commitment.

If it's closer to $250 (unlikely), they could think about adding another player like Pollock, Marwin Gonzalez, etc.   Keuchel's going to be too expensive, unless his market shrinks, which is highly improbable after the big dominoes start to fall.

Of course, there's the possibility they go after Harper as well, but the Phillies are certainly going to throw at least $350 million at him, and we already have almost a full team of outfield prospects in the minors.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Why Wade Miley?  I’m not overly familiar with him, but man that strikeout rate last year was ugly AF.  Would probably rather have Pomeranz.

I just really like what I saw from him last year and I think he would be relatively cheap. His home run rate was microscopic. I much prefer him to Gio Gonzalez and that nasty walk rate. 

Pomeranz, I'm not as sure about since last season was so strange/bad, but I'd prefer him to Gonzalez for sure. 

Just now, daggins said:

Thinking big!

I think Keuchel is right out at this point, and it's very unlikely they sign Harper if they sign Machado, but Ottavino would be a good target. After that, I dunno, Gio on a 1-year deal? They need SP really bad.

I’m hoping they still go for Harper, but was mostly kidding about the other two.  But if they want to compete next year and are willing to spend $180M that’s probably what it’s going to take.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres