Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

It’s one or the other.   Manny is who they want.  We all would like both but they would be hamstrung with future payroll.  And yes remember, Abreu off next year and Sale is a FA.     Sale total speculation.   Never heard that.  All we know is Jerry loves his former players.   So they need to get a “whale” and then some short term players until 2021 when rebuild players are all here.  Hope I’m not rambling.  It’s late.  Have faith in Rick.   The guy is good.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

I trust mbs.. I don't know why but I do. Why would he lie? He's a long time soxtalk guy. He wouldn't do that to us.. maybe someone is lying to him but he seems to know a lot about what the front office is up to (is it Kenny)

What did he say? 

Ive been out most of the day. I feel like I missed something. 

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The White Sox were actually 8th in MLB for quality starts with 74.  Probably the only positive stat we were Top 15 in.

The Brewers were 26th with 51.

The scary part is James Shields had 19.  Lopez had 19, Giolito 15, Rodon 11 and Covey 6.   Fulmer had 2, Santiago 1 and there must have been a "team" QS that's not individually credited.

The difference is the Brewers had at least 7 starters they could count on to hold the game close and get it to the bullpen.  We had, at best, 3 reliables, at any given point in the season.    Pretty much every week, there were 40% of the starts that were borderline disasters.

Is that possible?  Isn't a QS, by definition, the starter going 6 innings with 3 or less ER?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Let's just pretend the Sox get both of them. Would you stagger their opt-outs so that way the roster won't be completely stripped in 1 year, or do you line up their opt outs together so if they BOTH take their opt out, you suddenly have $70M or so to instantly spend on whoever the top young FA is that off-season? You basically promise yourself the ability to sign the best FA that offseason.

Stagger without a doubt if it’s possible.

6 minutes ago, Mbs1969 said:

It’s one or the other.   Manny is who they want.  We all would like both but they would be hamstrung with future payroll.  And yes remember, Abreu off next year and Sale is a FA.     Sale total speculation.   Never heard that.  All we know is Jerry loves his former players.   So they need to get a “whale” and then some short term players until 2021 when rebuild players are all here.  Hope I’m not rambling.  It’s late.  Have faith in Rick.   The guy is good.  

The problem is we've never brought back a former player on a HUGE contract...just those "career twilight" or "retire as a White Sox" one year types.

With all the bad blood with KW, it's almost impossible to imagine happening, unless JR orders Hahn to try to cut a deal with Sale.  Of course, the big problem is it seems insane to offer a six year deal at this point in his career (at $30-35 million per year) because the risk of an injury just seems to be off the charts...and he's barely made it to the end of so many previous seasons.

9 minutes ago, Mbs1969 said:

This was always the case though

3 minutes ago, aeichhor said:

Past tense?  Obviously, he's not breaking a story of the signing, but the passive/past voice is a bit jarring here.   It's almost too overconfident, or too detached, I'm not sure which.   In all likelihood, he's describing the process that got us to think point in the middle of January in the driver's seat for one of the two whales.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mbs1969 said:

Makes sense. If this team was knocking on contention's door, the need to add both would be greater. Get 1 proven superstar, and continue to let the rebuild run it's course. Keep some $$$ available for next offseason and chase a SP if it's needed.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I will be honest, if they don’t get Manny now, it will be the most heartbroken I’ve been relating to the Sox probably since Jenks blew a crucial game vs the Indians in the last month of 2005.

They are in way too deep now (giggity). I don't think they'll trip at the finish line. 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres