Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I will be honest, if they don’t get Manny now, it will be the most heartbroken I’ve been relating to the Sox probably since Jenks blew a crucial game vs the Indians in the last month of 2005.

It would be even more heartbreaking than when the Sox blew that 7-1 lead in the 9th inning in Kansas City a few years back. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Makes sense. If this team was knocking on contention's door, the need to add both would be greater. Get 1 proven superstar, and continue to let the rebuild run it's course. Keep some $$$ available for next offseason and chase a SP if it's needed.

Oh a starting pitching whale will definitely be needed next season.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

I will be honest, if they don’t get Manny now, it will be the most heartbroken I’ve been relating to the Sox probably since Jenks blew a crucial game vs the Indians in the last month of 2005.

For me, it was a game they were way ahead of the Royals...I went to bed that night in Colombia and woke up in pure shock they'd somehow blown it.  Can't remember the final score, but it was really high scoring.  Then Buehrle lost the next day. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/KCA/KCA200509140.shtml

Seems like it must have been this one.

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Past tense?  Obviously, he's not breaking a story of the signing, but the passive/past voice is a bit jarring here.   It's almost too overconfident, or too detached, I'm not sure which.   In all likelihood, he's describing the process that got us to think point in the middle of January in the driver's seat for one of the two whales.

I wanna say when the Eaton trade went down Merk was the first one running with it that it was close to completion.

Can we start a GoFundMe campaign and divert the "veterans building a wall" money to the Phillies' bank account so they can sign Harper ASAP before the rest of baseball wakes up and comes to their senses?

This is theoretically the second occasion of "right time, right place" with Abreu and maybe even Luis Robert also qualifying.

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Can we start a GoFundMe campaign and divert the "veterans building a wall" money to the Phillies' bank account so they can sign Harper ASAP before the rest of baseball wakes up and comes to their senses?

This is theoretically the second occasion of "right time, right place" with Abreu and maybe even Luis Robert also qualifying.

What?  Why would you collect money give it to the Phillies?  Screw those guys.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Because if they don't get Harper, they're going to be under tremendous pressure to reverse course and beat the White Sox out for Machado...

I still say screw them.  Sign Manny before they can mess things up.  Or just give this hypothetical money to the Sox to sign Manny.  Whatever.  Giving pretend money to the Phillies is stupid.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres