Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

I think the fans are feeling the frustration the FO is feeling. Things can change quickly though. Hopefully there not damaged relationship cause by this screwed up free agent process. Doubt there will be cause they are professionals but cant help to think these leaks/tweets are doing some sort of damage.

3 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

How exactly are fans pressuring Jerry? By being angry on twitter? We're angry on twitter 24/7. In fact, everybody is miserable on twitter. That's what it's for. If there were thousands of people screaming outside the park, that might get Jerry's attention. But yelling online and a dozen people calling their ticket agent threatening to cancel their package for next year unless we sign Machado isn't doing a thing.

5 minutes ago, Princess Dye said:

when this is all over i am going to be too exhausted to order my season tickets. will need an extended rest and perhaps warm bath

PD ain't the only one.

3 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

The "Sox are pissing off fans by negotiating" takes are laughable.

It doesn't matter if they get him. But if they don't, the perception is automatically going to snap to they were to cheap for the hundredth time. That's something of a problem. Maybe not a huge problem, but certainly a problem.

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

If they don’t land him, it perpetuates the idea that the Sox are a cheap franchise not willing to do what’s necessary to win. It goes against all this “change” they have been preaching. 

Just now, Harry Chappas said:

It's not that they are negotiating it's that it appears to now be a way of laying the groundwork for failing to sign Machado because they refuse to go more than 7 years.   

That would be such a horrible way to lay the groundwork.

Just now, Harry Chappas said:

It's not that they are negotiating it's that it appears to now be a way of laying the groundwork for failing to sign Machado because they refuse to go more than 7 years.   

This. They're running the risk if he signs elsewhere of a fanbase calling for everyone's jobs and not going to a game. 

Here's my personal take on what's happened:  The Sox have had the best offer at something like 7/210 for a few weeks now.  They were ready to go to 8/250 this weekend to get the deal done and felt confident that Manny would accept, which is why there was a lot of internal "source" confidence about early this week.  Instead, Lozano took the new offer and immediately shopped it through Passan.  The Sox front office, already frustrated, took it personally and I are now telling everyone in the media they know that their offer is only 7 years.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

When you have an owner who is well known for being cheap and valuing image and loyalty over winning, that's what happens. Its years of frustration boiling over, not this one negotiation 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Sockin said:

This. They're running the risk if he signs elsewhere of a fanbase calling for everyone's jobs and not going to a game. 

I thought this was sarcasm, at first. Yet I sense you feel this should be an actual consideration of the front office.

Just now, mqr said:

That would be such a horrible way to lay the groundwork.

That is the only take I can get from leaking this to 4 different reporters after there was little to no activity on this for weeks.  Now all of a sudden we get the 4 leaks from the White Sox all stating the same thing,  The feeling I am getting is this is the logjam.  Not the AAV but the years. 

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

PD ain't the only one.

Yeah, we'll all be furious if we come out of this offseason with a Carlos Boozer. That is going to bring canceled ST packages, lots of no shows who already bought tix, loud booing at all games, and basically the top response to every team tweet for the next year being rage. But we're not there yet. If the Sox sign Machado, we're all going to get a second wind here.

5 minutes ago, Princess Dye said:

I agree, but I also think it would be less public a negotiation if we were a different type of fanbase. 

I don't think so. The Sox can't keep things under wraps on a deal this big. News was going to get out, and all teams play the press in response to rumors. This is the first time we've ever been in on a fish this big or a deal like this, so it seems unprecedented.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres