Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

22 minutes ago, TitoMB345 said:

no way! lol. it will crash!

Actually, I don't think that will happen...not right away.  A lot will tune out until the last couple of weeks of spring training.

It's just going to seep into conversations once the season starts.  For example, if someone starts speculating we can STILL successfully sign TWO whales next off-season, and everyone will roll their eyes or say we'll be lucky to get just one.

Then there will another thread about all the potential connections to said player, and who we can bring on board to influence the negotiations.  More eye rolling, and not the WSD trademark kind.

Maybe some comments about how the Reinsdorf's preserved their wealth, that's easy to get behind for fans.

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, SoxAce said:

I'm sure with the reports out, Phillies probably offered more money. Just depends if the Machado family would actually wanna live in Philadelphia. 

More money makes living pretty much anywhere bearable. He's taking the money. 

1 minute ago, mqr said:

I suppose the logic is that they wouldn’t bother fielding an offer if they weren’t beating the sox

This actually makes me happy. We knew they would eventually offer a contract. We also knew 7/200 is a joke. This just means the end is in sight. The Phillys offering a contract will make the Sox either put up or shut up. 

If the Phillies get BOTH Harper and Machado...that's going to be nearly impossible to explain to Sox fans.

It would make sense to both players, though, as long as they maximized their total contract dollars.  The Phillies would suddenly go from 3rd place to favorites for 1st.

Harper would still be THE man.  Not sure how happy Manny would be to play second fiddle.

It is a bit strange that they're not first making an offer to Harper...maybe they already have?  That was also supposed to happen this week, sometime.

Edited by caulfield12

4 minutes ago, Orlando said:

This actually makes me happy. We knew they would eventually offer a contract. We also knew 7/200 is a joke. This just means the end is in sight. The Phillys offering a contract will make the Sox either put up or shut up. 

This indeed.   They need to finally get an actual bidding way to figure out where this is going to end.   Sox putting out the only legit (lowball) offer is not how this was going to end.  Unfortunately, it's the only offer so far. 

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

If the Phillies get BOTH Harper and Machado...that's going to be nearly impossible to explain to Sox fans.

It would make sense to both players, though, as long as they maximized their total contract dollars.  The Phillies would suddenly go from 3rd place to favorites for 1st.

If Philly signs both, Soxfest will be a disaster for Hahn and co. That town hall meeting is going to be brutal.

3 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

I have never realized how big of pussies Sox fans can be.  Every neutral piece of information is met by people panicking and expecting the worst.

It's better to be realistic/pragmatic as a White Sox fan than to be hopelessly optimistic and have your heart torn out again and again.

If you were a Sox fan in the 1970's and 1980's, this feeling would be quite easy to identify with.

• Like 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres