Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

8 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

Lol at the title. I think people panic cause they want the team to win to be mentioned be on the map so to speak. Its not always that big name free agent and Chicago White sox are mentioned in the same breath. So I can see fans getting upset and what not. I honestly have kept the bar low. For multiple reasons. Honestly I think Hahn is a smart guy. But his hands are tied. And after the hunter fiasco I think we are seen as a joke or used. I think many of us want that to end. Its hard to put in words. Another reason is the state of the team and mostly we were lead to believe the team would go all out. Now is it happening ? who knows but its annoying to see these tweets. Even if it is a few Chicago media people making shit up. Its so screwed up that instead of our media people cheer us up and help the cause they rip the team apart. Haven't seen anybody from the Yankees rip them apart, or Todd zolecki trash the phills. So yes it does make some panic. We only want the best for our Sox.

Literally no one remembers the Torii Hunter "fiasco"

3 minutes ago, timbo8 said:

is this true or is bob going to refute it

Bob Nightengale 

"Phillies' stupid money is going to be more than enough to overcome White Sox homefield advantage of Alonso, Jay and only 7 guaranteed years.  Phils currently offering 8, willing to to 9 or even 10 before moving on to Harper negotiations."

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I would think Yolmer is the one most worried right now. 

He should be thrilled. He's looking at becoming a full time bench player. His career will continue, he will have to work less, and he'll be better at it. Dude's not a starter.

2 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I would think Yolmer is the one most worried right now. 

He'll be alright he already got 3 years service time and invaluable MLB seasoning.  He's got 8 more years in front of him either as a bench bat in Chicago or somewhere else.  And the Sox trained him at multible positions.  It was a mutually beneficial relationship and I hope Yolmer is year for some good years.  I like the guy.

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He'll be alright he already got 3 years service time and invaluable MLB seasoning.  He's got 8 more years in front of him either as a bench bat in Chicago or somewhere else.  And the Sox trained him at multible positions.  It was a mutually beneficial relationship and I hope Yolmer is year for some good years.  I like the guy.

I like him as well he definitely was one of the highlights of this last year and could potentially be a spark plug for this team

Edited by beckham15

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

That's uh...not how athletes are wired.

He could do a heck of a lot more for the team by playing a lot less. Let him be a pinch runner and occasional rest-giver for Tim, Manny, and Yoan. Contending teams don't need a .678 OPS over 662 PAs.

The way this process is going, some network is going to come in and ,make a reality TV show out of it.  It has become a twitter soap opera.  Tomorrow we will hear Harper goes back to Nats and Machado goes back to Dodgers.  Then Machado and Machado will enter the NFL Draft.  

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

After the payday he just agreed to, I bet.  Isn't his on of the deals the team can walk away from for 15 or 20% of cost?

the sox granting him FA would have him in a celebratory mood I'd imagine (after a quick pep talk with his agent), as he'd be free of his arb years.  He's a 1.0-2.5 WAR player than can play 4 positions.  There's a spot for him on every roster in MLB.  If the Sox are dumb enough to cut him I hope he turns into Lindor Light.  He's actually an example of their scouting and development working.  If they had a few more Yolmers around post 2005 maybe they aren't here right now.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

Also, if you want a great example of why the Chicago media is worthless here it is. They know their livelihoods depend on these teams to feed them information and stories,  so when the team tells them to publish something,  they ask how many words they want it in. But they also know when it is time they will be rewarded with access and information 1st.

• Thanks 1

the sox granting him FA would have him in a celebratory mood I'd imagine (after a quick pep talk with his agent), as he'd be free of his arb years.  He's a 1.0-2.5 WAR player than can play 4 positions.  There's a spot for him on every roster in MLB.  If the Sox are dumb enough to cut him I hope he turns into Lindor Light.  He's actually an example of their scouting and development working.  If they had a few more Yolmers around post 2005 maybe they aren't here right now.

He wouldn't.  He also wouldn't top the $4.6 million he just agreed to on the open market. 

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He wouldn't.  He also wouldn't top the $4.6 million he just agreed to on the open market. 

I mean if that's the case they need to strike.  Yolmer is easily worth 4 years 20 million.  If things are that bad, where solid utility guys can't get paid in this revenue environment yikes.

and they will strike in 2021 and it will be a doozy.  we should buckle up imo.  revenue at record high not even including the mlbam windfall of 2.5 billion and payrolls down 18 million on average?  ha.

tellingly while overall ticket sales were down revenue was flat.  Tickets prices and concessions are rising in cost and even then: in game attendance hardly matters.  It's that TV money.

But!  Part of why I think some of us want this so badly is to have a reason to come out again to the games.  Like, the young prospects are fine but Machado is a superstar.  And we traded all of ours away.  In hopes to...one day have more of them.

Come on, get it done Sox.  Spend the money JR.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Don't think you have to worry about that. Lindor bottomed out at a .794 OPS when he was 22. Yolmer didn't put up a .700 OPS season until he was 25, and it looks so far like a fluke. He's useful, he seems like a good clubhouse guy, and I hope we keep him around, but let's not get carried away.

Maybe you think I'm harping on this, but it's interesting that so many have the pitchforks out for Hahn and company, but still have an attachment to players that just aren't very good. Let's keep perspective.

I mean if that's the case they need to strike.  Yolmer is easily worth 4 years 20 million.  If things are that bad, where solid utility guys can't get paid in this revenue environment yikes.

and they will strike in 2021 and it will be a doozy.  we should buckle up imo.  revenue at record high not even including the mlbam windfall of 2.5 billion and payrolls down 18 million on average?  ha.

tellingly while overall ticket sales were down revenue was flat.  Tickets are rising and in game attendance hardly matters.  

part of why I think some of us want this so badly is to have a reason to come out again to the games.  Like, the young prospects are fine but Machado is a superstar.  And we traded all of ours away.  In hopes to...one day have more of them.

Come on, get it done Sox.  Spend the money JR.

His bat isn't enough to get him a long term deal.

• Thanks 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres