Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

4 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

Watched Hot Stove this morning.  Feel like they went out of their way to NOT mention Manny or Harper.  

I wonder if MLB realized that this has the potential to turn into an embarrassing disaster, if it hasn't already

Just now, Orlando said:

Well, let’s start a conversarion then. Do you think the Sox are only willing to go 7 because no one else is forcing their hand or because they are trying to get Manny on a discount? 

Probably a bit of both. I feel they will definitely go higher if they need to though so maybe more of the first part.

Edited by soxfan2014

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

Well, let’s start a conversarion then. Do you think the Sox are only willing to go 7 because no one else is forcing their hand or because they are trying to get Manny on a discount? 

It had better be the former. 

Just now, Orlando said:

Former.

I totally buy that over weekend some verbal figures of 8/250 started to go out but nothing formal, and manny's side shopped info immediately to try and get people to match and go higher, and so sox said "we never agreed to that" and tried to re-anchor. And when it's all said and done he'll sign for 8 / 260-270 as people have said.

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

Probably both, if the reports are true.  I still think the Sox are willing to go more than 7 years, and we certainly don't know what the true actual offer is.  However, if the 7-year deal is true, it's probably first the Sox trying to get him cheaper and second the fact that no one is forcing their hand.

1 minute ago, centerfieldsixers said:

correct. They dont want to bid against themselves. I believe they did offer Manny the 8/250 and got pissed it got out there. THey used there reporters to shoot down that notion. i believe 8 /250 is legit

This is where I'm at too.  

1 minute ago, Whitesox27 said:

If this is going to happen for us, I agree that it would have to be sometime this week as they would certainly want him to be at SoxFest. 

It could happen next week as well if that's the case. Agree to a deal next Tuesday/Wednesday, have him in for a physical and Soxfest by that Friday.

2 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

If this is going to happen for us, I agree that it would have to be sometime this week as they would certainly want him to be at SoxFest. 

They're not going to pull his offer because of a fan festival though.  Of course they'd love for him to be at Soxfest but it doesn't have to happen by then.

Just now, Rowand44 said:

They're not going to pull his offer because of a fan festival though.  Of course they'd love for him to be at Soxfest but it doesn't have to happen by then.

Does kind of illustrate how awkward this whole thing will be with Yonder if Manny doesn’t come here.  

16 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I feel like it is a negotiation tactic.  I don't see a real scenario coming into this winter where they thought it was a realistic offer, but as things have developed they are looking at this as an opportunity to land their whale, and still leave themselves a maximum amount of payroll flexibility in the future.

9 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

I mean, it doesn't have to happen by then, but it would be in their best interests to have him there.

I'm assuming Machado's camp is using SoxFest as leverage.  "Hey, I know you guys would want him signed by the end of the next week. Give us this amount right now, and we'll sign."

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres