Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, raBBit said:

It's not that cut and dried. JR has been involved. This whole process has required far more advisory and strategy than I think anyone could have imagined.

Nothing is ever as cut and dry as someone speculating on a message board makes it.

But there are certain things that I believed to be true and one of those was that JR wasnt going to delegate the final negotiations of the largest contract either of his franchises have ever signed.

Everyone has to start somewhere, but as I said yesterday, Hahn has never been involved in a deal of this magnitude. You just dont let a guy first chair this type of deal on his first chance. 

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I promise he didn't just get involved.  He has been involved since day 1 on something like this.

I can imagine him being involved from day 1 on this big of a deal. What I hope is that they are all sitting around the speaker phone and JR is saying let's talk real numbers and get this done!

Just now, mqr said:

So is Jerry running the show because we're close, or is he running the show because it's gone of the rails?

Jerry is running the show because this is his job.  He is overseeing the single biggest investment in the history of his company, and the guy who signs the check.  There is literally no one in the entire organization more qualified and able to do this.

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

So is Jerry running the show because we're close, or is he running the show because it's gone of the rails?

No sauces, but if I was a betting man its close. JR used Hahn to hardball Machado's camp as long as he could. Now JR can come in "fresh", ups the offer and get it done.

Sometimes even in negotiations you need a bad cop/good cop. 

Edited by Soxbadger
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Jerry is running the show because this is his job.  He is overseeing the single biggest investment in the history of his company, and the guy who signs the check.  There is literally no one in the entire organization more qualified and able to do this.

If I had to guess, the only reason JR wasnt the lead from the start is because he knows he isnt going to be owner for another 20 years. At some point you need to give guys like Hahn experience. Once JR goes there is going to be a huge vacuum at the top. So Hahn got to 1st chair these negotiations for a while. So that if there is a next time, Hahn has experience. 

2 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

No sauces, but if I was a betting man its close. JR used Hahn to hardball Machado's camp as long as he could. Now JR can come in "fresh", ups the offer and get it done.

Sometimes even in negotiations you need a bad cop/good cop. 

I think this is really on the nose. JR meets at initial meeting, lets team bang it out, keeping close but never overcommitting, when market has cleared taking over.

It makes great sense that JR is in the lead. Much easier to hammer out specifics without having to call the boss with every little thing that wouldn't necessarily be an automatic yes. He did PK's last deal, if I recall, and also most of Frank's, including the 5 year mutual option contract that was somewhat unique. He's a smart guy 

Just now, Whitesox27 said:

Machado to the Sox and Harper to the Phillies seems like the most logical conclusion, but of course that won't happen as these things never go according to plan.

We have never had players of this quality and age hit free agency. Many contenders are maxed out. This may be the only off season that ends with the likeliest scenario.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mbs1969 said:

Mr. Reinsdorf is a self made billionaire and arguably the most powerful man in sports.   He didn’t get there by accident.  He is a shrewd but fair negotiator and admires the same.   This isn’t  bad development it just shows how big this is.  

Fair, like when he tried to negotiate deals with Horace Grant and Scottie Pippen outside the presence of their agents

He is shrewd.

3 minutes ago, toasty said:

It makes great sense that JR is in the lead. Much easier to hammer out specifics without having to call the boss with every little thing that wouldn't necessarily be an automatic yes. He did PK's last deal, if I recall, and also most of Frank's, including the 5 year mutual option contract that was somewhat unique. He's a smart guy 

didn't he also either create or re popularize deferred money contracts in baseball?

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres