Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Just now, Mbs1969 said:

Nightingale is Reinsdorf’s go to guy.    In negotiations you want to create urgency and worry that your market maybe evaporating.   That tweet accomplished it.  Yes Reinsdorf is a good negotiator.   

Great post.

1 minute ago, The Sir said:

Sorry man, that doesn't make sense. The Sox aren't going to base their actions on tweets. If the Phillies beat us with an offer, Lozano is going to point that out to the Sox to elicit a bigger offer. This will go back and forth until one side quits.

Lozano is going to do his best to imply to the Sox that their offer is not the best offer or that they need to raise it to get Manny (whether true or not), and Hahn and Jerry must do their best to determine whether they should raise their offer or not.  Lozano isn't going to just tell the Sox that the Phillies have quit on Machado; it's going to be up to the Sox to make that determination.

so, I'm very positive that we will sign machado and think it's going to be franchise altering.

But allow me to be negative for a second...

I don't understand why sox are so frugal in fighting the margins of the Machado deal but at the same time so willing to pay for replacement level production elsewhere.

Our payroll is somehow 80 million for a frankly garbage roster. The As are at 67 million, and you look at it and you see the lack of 7.5 for colomes, 9 for novas, 8.5 for herreras, etc etc and it stands out. Those may be normal market value for those players, but I would bet we barely scrape by in those players paying for their own production. I really hope when our young players arrive we can stop overpaying for depth and using leftover cash to buy impactful pieces only.

Anyway again, I'm very excited. I think Hahn is still pretty bad at FA though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mbs1969 said:

Nightingale is Reinsdorf’s go to guy.    In negotiations you want to create urgency and worry that your market maybe evaporating.   That tweet accomplished it.  Yes Reinsdorf is a good negotiator.   

The problem with that is the agent also speaks to the Phillies, so based on their discussions he will know if their interest is really drying up. 

Totally forgot Ottavino is out there until last seeing it here just now. Would be real nice to grab Machado soon so there is clarity and the team can go out and sign a couple of these guys still out there. Definite value. Adding Ottavino to that bullpen after landing Machado would be sweet. Gio or Wade Miley and a righty to platoon with Palka and Alonso would work nicely too.

19 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Anyone can have "visions" of what they want. I want to be a billionaire and have a supermodel girlfriend. Doesn't mean it's going to happen.

Jeff Bezos should at least have been able to pull this off with his $160 billion, but no, he goes for a married ex news reporter from a local SoCal station who’s only 5 years younger.

Now he’ll be worth only $80 billion and still no supmodel g/f.

That’s ONE thing to admire about the Kushner brothers, I guess.

We are the type of org that should take a gamble on Pollock. Pollock, Robert, and Eloy could be an outstanding outfield. Jay, Pollock, and Eloy would be good if healthy from an offensive standpoint. Just add another starter on a short deal and try to win 81+ games to gain some momentum.

Next Year a rotation of Rodon,  FA, Lopez, Cease, Kopech should be good enough to compete for the division. A lineup featuring Moncada, Pollock, Eloy, Machado, Madrigcal, Yonder, Abreu, Timmy, Robert, and Catcher should be food enough as well. 

• Love 2

1 minute ago, Palehosefan said:

Sox still have 3-4 roster spots for 

I've been dreaming of if Harper could replicate his 10 WAR season and Trout just puts up 8 and 9 WAR seasons like it's nothing. Of course that means he's worth $72-$81 mil/yr...

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres