Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

3 minutes ago, Frank_Thomas said:

Sorry if I missed it but I didn’t see this tweet from Bob-o. Did get a bleacher report update that Joe Maddon said the Cubs getting Harper “isn’t going to happen.” So that’s positive news.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2815935-bryce-harper-joining-cubs-not-going-to-happen-joe-maddon-says

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Sorry Chili can't agree. I haven't said anything to the billion other poster who talk of it being exhausting and tedious. I find it invigorating. I mean what could be more exciting than the Sox being in on a huge talent ? Not a prospect but an actual young MLB superstar. I love it. I wish it would happen every year.

As I previously said find it immensely entertaining.  Some of the posters, well............

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Sorry Chili can't agree. I haven't said anything to the billion other poster who talk of it being exhausting and tedious. I find it invigorating. I mean what could be more exciting than the Sox being in on a huge talent ? Not a prospect but an actual young MLB superstar. I love it. I wish it would happen every year.

Yes, it sure does feel different. Kind of nice for a change.

8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It is exhausting because the franchise has nearly always been run as a Mickey Mouse organization. If I knew that they were actually making serious offers, of course I'd feel excited. OTOH, there is the distinct possibility that they're claiming to be in the running but never really were because their offers were insulting or a joke. Not only do we have to wait on a decision, we have to decipher whether or not they're actually making serious offers. That is where the exhaustion lies. If we knew they were serious, it would be a lot of fun. Because there is the distinct possibility that they were stringing us all along and are going to pull the "Awe, shucks we tried" bit, even though they were never actually making serious offers, that is where it goes from pure fun to exhaustion, frustration and annoyance.  

Even if the Sox do end up landing him, I won't even be excited until Opening Day. I'll just be relieved that it is over. 

To put it this way: If we were fans of most other teams, we'd all be having fun. Because it is the White Sox, we're not. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

41 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Is anyone else worried that when the Machado to the Sox news is announced, instead of 100% elation and excitement, part of it will just be relief and thinking "Fucking finally, now we can move on to the next target"? I hope Hahn gets a sweet deal in the end, but I feel a bit disappointed that this long drawn out and tedious process is sapping some of the energy and excitement I have for the signing. A month ago I would have lost my mind and texted everyone I know. Now, I will just breathe a big sigh of relief that I can stop wasting my entire day refreshing Twitter and worrying about the Phillies or Yankees swooping in.

Anyone else?

Not me. I wasted way too much time following this, and the process has been frustrating. But if we actually sign Machado, it's party time. 

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It is exhausting because the franchise has nearly always been run as a Mickey Mouse organization. If I knew that they were actually making serious offers, of course I'd feel excited. OTOH, there is the distinct possibility that they're claiming to be in the running but never really were because their offers were insulting or a joke. Not only do we have to wait on a decision, we have to decipher whether or not they're actually making serious offers. That is where the exhaustion lies. If we knew they were serious, it would be a lot of fun. Because there is the distinct possibility that they were stringing us all along and are going to pull the "Awe, shucks we tried" bit, even though they were never actually making serious offers, that is where it goes from pure fun to frustration and annoyance.  

Jack you're looking too far into all the rumors. It's January 15th and the Sox are one of two teams left in the bidding for Machado. The Sox wouldn't be in it this late in the game if they and their offers weren't serious.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It is exhausting because the franchise has nearly always been run as a Mickey Mouse organization. If I knew that they were actually making serious offers, of course I'd feel excited. OTOH, there is the distinct possibility that they're claiming to be in the running but never really were because their offers were insulting or a joke. Not only do we have to wait on a decision, we have to decipher whether or not they're actually making serious offers. That is where the exhaustion lies. If we knew they were serious, it would be a lot of fun. Because there is the distinct possibility that they were stringing us all along and are going to pull the "Awe, shucks we tried" bit, even though they were never actually making serious offers, that is where it goes from pure fun to exhaustion, frustration and annoyance.  

To put it this way: If we were fans of most other teams, we'd all be having fun. Because it is the White Sox, we're not. 

There is no chance that the Sox were never really in the running because of insultingly low offers. Zero point zero percent chance. 

3 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

There is no chance that the Sox were never really in the running because of insultingly low offers. Zero point zero percent chance. 

I hope you're right but you never know with Uncle Jerry. 

The reported 7/210 is borderline insulting. It cannot be true. An offer of less than 30 AAV is definitely insulting. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

28 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Shack, you think the 8/$250M offer is bullshit then?

I do. I think it’s probably been discussed, but I think 7 is what’s been formally offered. 

This notion that the Sox can get Machado for less than $275m is nonsense. Harper will get $350m. Lozano taking $250m for a very similar player would cause damage to his career. 

I understand not wanting to pay more than you have to; I also understand alienating the player and bringing shorter term options into the fray.

The Sox can only afford to play with fire for so long. I trust Hahn. He’ll get it done. But 7-8/$240-250m ain’t happening.

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Mbs1969 said:

This place isn’t being logical.   An extra year of Eloy means a hell of a lot more than a couple months.  And as far as an offer here’s an example :  you can buy a house for 250 K but screw it  I want it now and will pay 400 k right now.  Deal?   Oh if you accept it I can’t furnish it.   Come on.  

As far as how long, they are staying at 7 only until they know 8 gets it done.   Keep the faith !  

Yeah but what if you waited, and it meant you could lose the house and be screwed because of it? 

1 minute ago, iamshack said:

I do. I think it’s probably been discussed, but I think 7 is what’s been formally offered. 

This notion that the Sox can get Machado for less than $275m is nonsense. Harper will get $350m. Lozano taking $250m for a very similar player would cause damage to his career. 

I understand not wanting to pay more than you have to; I also understand alienating the player and bringing shorter term options into the fray.

The Sox can only afford to play with fire for so long. I trust Hahn. He’ll get it done. But 7-8/$240-250m ain’t happening.

Thanks and I agree that at some point we got to stop messing around.  I’ll keep saying it, but I think 8/$280M or 9/$300M is what it’s going take to end this standoff.

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

I love my uncle, why does uncle have to be negative?  

Uncle Jerry is code for Reinsdorf=Scrooge McDuck. 

His nephews called him Uncle Scrooge. 

If you weren't in grade school in the late 80s or early 90s, you've probably never heard of DuckTales. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres