Sox could still bring back Avi

southsider2k5

6 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If we land Machado, I’m ok with Avi on a cheap one-year, contract to mix in with Palka & Alonso.

I 100% agree with this post. Essentially he becomes the right handed back in a right field platoon if he hits poorly and if the 2017 magic comes back he massively lengthens our line up.

Worst case scenario is he costs a tiny amount of money. He’s not blocking Adolfo etc. For 2019.

My one thought on our current line up is a left handed centre fielder would significantly help the lefty-rightly balance if we get Machado. 

28 minutes ago, pcq said:

Wonder if Avi has even gotten an invite somewhere. Quite a fall. He prob would prefer a new org at this point. You have to stay healthy #1 and he is a bit clumsy. 

Hard to really blast him just yet when like 90 percent of the free agents haven't signed anywhere so far

14 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

If we sign Machado, we better be looking at better options than Avi to fill in the OF. What’s the point of signing Machado and not trying to make the playoffs year 1? I’d wait out the Markakis, Jones, Cargo market and see which 1 I can get on the cheapest 1 year deal

Are Cargo or Adam Jones upgrades to Avi or even Palka?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

If we sign Machado, we better be looking at better options than Avi to fill in the OF. What’s the point of signing Machado and not trying to make the playoffs year 1? I’d wait out the Markakis, Jones, Cargo market and see which 1 I can get on the cheapest 1 year deal

Are those guys actually better than Avi?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, southsideirish71 said:

However El Rockin would be thrilled with that move.

So would I.  Not exactly thrilled, but I would be in favor of it.  Avi was dinged up last year; if he is healthy, he should be good to go and be productive.  I don't get all the Avi-hate here.

15 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I’d take Avi over all three of those. 

1 hour ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

The point is he'd be keeping the seat warm until guys like Rutherford, Robert, Gonzalez, etc,. come and take the spot from him. I mean, you dont give up on the playoffs by any stretch, but this team needs a lot more than Manny Machado to make the playoffs. And as we can see, they haven't been making strides towards filling those holes just yet.

45 minutes ago, bmags said:

I’d take Avi over all three of those. 

To each their own...

I’m not even a little bit of a believer in his 2017 season. Not saying any are huge upgrades offensively, but I think all 3 will hit better then Avi. And then when factoring in corner OF D and base running and yeah I personally take all 3. Obviously there will be a fairly significant price difference...but not my $.

I guess my biggest issue is even if/after Manny I see us as 75-80 win team. I know there still has to be a long term approach, but it’s not like payroll will be stretched after Manny. Might as well try to sign some 1 year deals and see if we can get to the playoffs while bridging the gap to the prospects. 

8 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

To each their own...

I’m not even a little bit of a believer in his 2017 season. Not saying any are huge upgrades offensively, but I think all 3 will hit better then Avi. And then when factoring in corner OF D and base running and yeah I personally take all 3. Obviously there will be a fairly significant price difference...but not my $.

I'll give you Markakis, but the other 2, I'm not so sure.  CarGo has been quite bad outside of Colorado (.663 ops in 2018) and I'd say at worst Avi and Jones are even, except Avi is much younger and only a year removed from an allstar season.

I wouldn't really care if they chose to go with those guys, I'm just failing to see how they're upgrades that'll lead to greater success.

Edited by bschmaranz

34 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Avi platooning with Palka probably gives you some pretty good offensive production. 

Don't want him as an everyday player. He has been with the Sox for over 5 years and he is what he is.

Would not want the Sox to guarantee him more than 2-3 mil/yr

I would be completely fine with a platoon of Palka and Avi for a year. Hit Palka vs righties (gives him plenty of chances to prove that he is the real deal with the vast majority of starters being right handed) and Avi can hit against lefties, which is good because he mashes lefties and he can't sustain a full season anyway, so the limited workload he would see would probably be beneficial for him.