Sox could still bring back Avi

southsider2k5

3 hours ago, bmags said:

I’d take Avi over all three of those. 

Here, here ! Avi hit .330 in 2017. He hit a career high 19 HR's last year in the fewest number of AB's in his last 4 years. What's so bad about seeing if he can put it all together in another year ? He sprays the ball all over the field . They can't massively  shift on him . His Steamer projections aren't bad at all.

His career splits against LH pitchers is .304 , .358 , .457, .816 . He has hit more HR's against RH pitchers but that's to be expected since he has faced them 3X as often. Righties are the ones that most often make him look foolish. Theoretically he just needs to be smarter up there against them, but again he has never consistently done that

Everything with Avi comes down to swinging at strikes and being a more disciplined hitter. Odds are he cannot do that. But if he does he can return to being an All Star player.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

43 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

How bad is Eloy in RF defensively? I'd rather move on from Avi and roll the dice with Eloy in RF and Palka in LF. I know I know, not exactly the best idea from a defensive standpoint but uts the best I can come up with for now.

Avi isn’t exactly great in OF either. I think Avi and Eloy are probably comparable defensively. 

1 hour ago, BlackSox13 said:

How bad is Eloy in RF defensively? I'd rather move on from Avi and roll the dice with Eloy in RF and Palka in LF. I know I know, not exactly the best idea from a defensive standpoint but uts the best I can come up with for now.

42 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Avi isn’t exactly great in OF either. I think Avi and Eloy are probably comparable defensively. 

I believe Eloy's arm is questionable/mediocre. Avi has a cannon. Probably why Eloy doesn't profile for RF anymore.

I don't see the fit with Avisail Garcia regardless of what happens. There just aren't enough roster spots if Renteria insists on 13 pitchers. Even with Machado at 3B, that probably puts Palka in RF. Engel is in CF. They only have 3 bench spots and one of them is catcher. The other two spots need to be taken by guys that can cover CF and SS. If Yolmer, Palka, and McCann is the bench then their starting RF needs to be able to cover CF as well. 

4 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don't see the fit with Avisail Garcia regardless of what happens. There just aren't enough roster spots if Renteria insists on 13 pitchers. Even with Machado at 3B, that probably puts Palka in RF. Engel is in CF. They only have 3 bench spots and one of them is catcher. The other two spots need to be taken by guys that can cover CF and SS. If Yolmer, Palka, and McCann is the bench then their starting RF needs to be able to cover CF as well. 

Well obviously the problem with that is Rick Renteria insisting on 13 pitchers. Shame there's no one higher ranking than him in the organization who can overrule him?

17 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

While I really hope we don’t go with 13 pitchers, adding Avi would be a challenge even with a four man bench.  Right now assuming Palka is in RF, we have three locks for the bench in Sanchez, Leury, & McCann.  Then you have a somewhat intriguing guy in Rondon who is out of options.  I’d rather explore his ability to play the OF than sign Avi to be honest.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

While I really hope we don’t go with 13 pitchers, adding Avi would be a challenge even with a four man bench.  Right now assuming Palka is in RF, we have three locks for the bench in Sanchez, Leury, & McCann.  Then you have a somewhat intriguing guy in Rondon who is out of options.  I’d rather explore his ability to play the OF than sign Avi to be honest.

This also assumes we sign Machado.

56 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Well obviously the problem with that is Rick Renteria insisting on 13 pitchers. Shame there's no one higher ranking than him in the organization who can overrule him?

When he became manager i do not believe any coaches were changed except for bench coach and that was Renteria's job before he was promoted, most managers normally have an opportunity to make changes but not him, it appears to me that the genius hahn makes all of these baseball decisions, and to me he is not a baseball man, I am a White SOX fan big time and I am very frustrated with this organization in every respect, but they are profitable, and that appears is all they care about.

4 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

They've gone 13 pitchers for about 4 years so is that a Renteria problem?

The roster situation is ruining the game. We might as well starting teaching pitchers to play CF. Davidson has a point. 

5 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I believe Eloy's arm is questionable/mediocre. Avi has a cannon. Probably why Eloy doesn't profile for RF anymore.

Could explain the Sox moving Eloy to LF. In that case I'd go with Palka in RF... as much as it pains me to say that. Love his power but not his defense although he did improve as the season progressed.