FS: Guest Post by Micker Adolfo - Ups and Downs, and what is next

NorthSideSox72

Our latest Prospect Perspectives article is written by outfield prospect Micker Adolfo. Micker had a very interesting, and at time for him quite frustrating, 2018 campaign before ending with Tommy John Surgery. In his guest article, Micker talks about how the injury cropped up, adapting to DH'ing, the almost-comeback to throwing, surgery and where he stands today. There are some details in here I am pretty sure were never made public that are pretty interesting around what happened in July.

Here is the article. Enjoy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I still have ridiculously high hopes for Micker.  Hard to believe he's still only 22 years old since he's been with the org it seems forever already.  Shame he didn't just have the surgery last spring instead of waiting but good to hear he's coming along.  Such and under the radar prospect the rest of baseball really isn't aware of.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

The fact it did after that long tells me it was going to happen no matter what.

which they usually do....no?  That's the frustrating part...should have just done the surgery.  Water under the bridge...just hope to see Micker back healthy soon.

20 minutes ago, Wanne said:

which they usually do....no?  That's the frustrating part...should have just done the surgery.  Water under the bridge...just hope to see Micker back healthy soon.

Timing-wise, it made more sense to do what they did, even if the chances of healing on its own were small. Think about it this way - for a position player, recovery time is like 9 months. If they shut him down in March, that would have been missing the entire season, then starting in April 2019. By letting him DH and then re-evaluating in July, even if he still had to have surgery, he'd have had three critical months of hitting development done, and STILL gotten back in April or May of the next year. They did the right thing.

1 minute ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Timing-wise, it made more sense to do what they did, even if the chances of healing on its own were small. Think about it this way - for a position player, recovery time is like 9 months. If they shut him down in March, that would have been missing the entire season, then starting in April 2019. By letting him DH and then re-evaluating in July, even if he still had to have surgery, he'd have had three critical months of hitting development done, and STILL gotten back in April or May of the next year. They did the right thing.

How much "hitting development" can you have if you worried/nursing an elbow injury?  Even tho it might not effect your swing...it's still in your head and may be a mental roadblock you're swing would have to overcome.  I'd rather have had him back full strength this spring.  I doubt those 3 months really did a whole lot for him.  That's just my 2¢...

5 minutes ago, Wanne said:

How much "hitting development" can you have if you worried/nursing an elbow injury?  Even tho it might not effect your swing...it's still in your head and may be a mental roadblock you're swing would have to overcome.  I'd rather have had him back full strength this spring.  I doubt those 3 months really did a whole lot for him.  That's just my 2¢...

3 months in High-A for a guy like Adolfo are a BIG DEAL. That's half a minor league season, and a guy who is very raw. Look at the numbers he put up - that was big time development and definitely worth it. And even with that he will STILL be healthy in spring, and with a team by May from what we have heard. If your choices are 3 months and 5 months of play in 2 seasons, versus 0 months and 6 months, you take the former without question.

2 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

3 months in High-A for a guy like Adolfo are a BIG DEAL. That's half a minor league season, and a guy who is very raw. Look at the numbers he put up - that was big time development and definitely worth it. And even with that he will STILL be healthy in spring, and with a team by May from what we have heard. If your choices are 3 months and 5 months of play in 2 seasons, versus 0 months and 6 months, you take the former without question.

I get your point then...and I hope he is FULLY recovered for ST.  That's my concern...