Sox Sign Kelvin Herrera; 2 years/$18 mil, 3rd yr club option; Clarkin DFA

Heads22

• Heads22 changed the title to Sox Sign Kelvin Herrera; 2 years/$18 mil, 3rd yr club option; Clarkin DFA
26 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Wasn't his the foot surgery?

He had both issues.

The Nationals already have one closer on the disabled list, and they received an injury scare from another during the ninth inning of Tuesday's 3-1 loss to the Braves, when Kelvin Herrera exited the game with tightness in his right shoulder.

Herrera, who gave up the game-winning two-run triple to Ender Inciarte, will undergo an MRI on Wednesday morning.

"[Herrera] didn't quite have the life that he had the last outing," catcher Matt Wieters said. "So, he called me up there and just said he wasn't feeling right. So, no reason to push it, and make sure we get it right before we get him back out there."

Pitching in the ninth inning of a tied game, Herrera yielded a pair of singles to Freddie Freeman and Nick Markakis to put himself into a jam to start the inning. Kurt Suzuki connected with a line drive, but third baseman Anthony Rendon snagged it for the first out. Then, Inciarte snuck his triple down the right-field line.

Manager Dave Martinez saw Herrera shake his right arm after the triple, prompting him to emerge from the dugout with head athletic trainer Paul Lessard. After a brief conversation, Herrera came out of the game.

"I couldn't finish my pitches," Herrera said through an interpreter, and he added it's the first time he has ever experienced this issue. "I felt like I was aiming them instead of throwing them."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/nationals-journal/wp/2018/08/08/nationals-send-kelvin-herrera-to-disabled-list-with-shoulder-impingement-recall-koda-glover/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.0dc33dddfc4b

Glover is in Washington because the Nationals placed interim closer Kelvin Herrera on the 10-day disabled list Wednesday, about 18 hours after he walked off the Nationals Park mound in the ninth inning with what he and his manager called shoulder tightness. Herrera underwent an MRI exam Wednesday morning, and the team placed him on the disabled list with a rotator cuff impingement.

“He’s got medication,” Nationals Manager Dave Martinez said. “He’s going to take three to four days and then he’ll start strengthening again. So hopefully this ain’t a real major thing and he’ll be starting to throw again maybe by the end of next week. That’s what we’re shooting for.”

1 minute ago, Whitesox27 said:

I trolled him on Twitter a couple years ago when he was on the Royals. He responded and then we've tweeted each other a couple times back and forth since then. It's pretty cool when players interact with fans.

That's pretty funny and cool he's interacted with you.

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

I trolled him on Twitter a couple years ago when he was on the Royals. He responded and then we've tweeted each other a couple times back and forth since then. It's pretty cool when players interact with fans.

Would be really cool if you got a chance to meet him before a game. Sounds like you both would have a laugh.

• Like 1