Sox Sign Jon Jay; 1 year/$4 mil, Charlie Tilson DFA'd

soxfan49

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

Good lord - he hits no better than Delmonico et al, guys who need the ABs.
Old habits die hard.

You can’t actually be this dense, this is all about landing Machado.  And Delmonico had his opportunity and blew it.  Also, this likely takes away at-bats from Engel more than anyone.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

13 million they've spent to recruit him now. They better know what they're doing, as they could have just used that money to sweeten the front part of the deal. 

If I'm Manny, I'd rather take $250 million to get to play with my friends as opposed to taking $263 million. That being said, I have no idea how much the extra money would mean to Manny. 

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You can’t actually be this dense, this is all about landing Machado.  And Delmonico had his opportunity and blew it.  Also, this likely takes away at-bats from Engel more than anyone.

Eh... he got injured. Took half the season away from him.

I was gonna suggest they could always put Eloy in RF (which he's played most of his minor league career) and have either Delmonico or Palka in LF and the other DH but I completely forgot about the Alonso trade. Gonna be interesting to see what Hahn and company does.

4 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Good lord - he hits no better than Delmonico et al, guys who need the ABs.
Old habits die hard.

I'm going to have to ask you to turn in your baseball fan card and proceed to getting blackout drunk at the bleachers at Sheffield and waveland

• Love 2

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

13 million they've spent to recruit him now. They better know what they're doing, as they could have just used that money to sweeten the front part of the deal. 

Oh they’re sweetening it...just In their own unique way.

2 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Jon Jay makes sense for this roster and makes sense at that price. If he's Manny's boy that's icing on the cake. This is a far better acquisition than Yonder Alonso at the least.

100% agree.  There is a legit “baseball move” case for signing Jay.  Hahn probably had to pinch himself to avoid all-out laughter when he claimed the Alonso trade was made for “baseball reasons.”

$4 million for a .678 OPS?  He earned $3 million last year off of a .749 OPS.  More shrewd negotiation from Hahn.

Career .729 (and that is with his best year as his first), 36 homers in 9 seasons.

Don't let anyone ever say that they can't afford Machado when they throw away $4 million like this.

• Like 1

• Tony unpinned this topic