Sox Sign Jon Jay; 1 year/$4 mil, Charlie Tilson DFA'd

soxfan49

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Except none of the younger players you’re referring to that can play CF are any good. 

Exactly, no one worth a damn was getting blocked by Adam Engel. If Basabe or someone else breaks through and earns a call-up to the majors they won't be blocked by Jay either. Jay would just be a perfectly competent 4th OF at a reasonable price.

6 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

What's predictable is all of y'all thinking he's a good baseball player.  
.729 career OPS
.678 last year.

The 40 man is stacked with younger players who can produce that and actually could improve.
And spare me the "Flip" stuff...it's the very players who now won't play (the Cordells, etc.) that they get when they flip better players than Jay.

You keep ripping the career .729 OPS but do you realize that makes him a slightly above league average hitter?  Probaly not because you’re ignoring his career OBP of .352 which is very good.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

If I'm Manny, I'd rather take $250 million to get to play with my friends as opposed to taking $263 million. That being said, I have no idea how much the extra money would mean to Manny. 

All money equal, the Sox are still ahead with how crazy high the NY tax is.  

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You keep ripping the career .729 OPS but do you realize that makes him a slightly above league average hitter?  Probaly not because you’re ignoring his career OBP of .352 which is very good.

He’s literally exactly what this team needs more of. High OBP and low K rate. He’s obviously not a long term piece, but he fills a need and has great secondary benefits. 

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I really don’t want Jones. You’d have a really bad look demoting him and I don’t want players that can’t be pushed aside for prospects.

None of the OF other than Eloy will be ready in 2019. If it's a 1-year deal, it isn't a biggie anyway. 

His OBP is nice, I like that in a player (one of the reasons I'm very critical of Tim Anderson).

However this whole story being thrown around that he's all the sudden our best OF and we should be happy about it is a joke. This is a 34 year old who has produced next to nothing in his at bats. His OBP is nice and I think his defense is at least good.

Sure, technically he might be our best OF. However let's not throw a parade in this thread because he's 0.2 better in WAR over Engel.

I'll be rooting for him to succeed, tho.

Just now, iWiN4PreP said:

His OBP is nice, I like that in a player (one of the reasons I'm very critical of Tim Anderson).

However this whole story being thrown around that he's all the sudden our best OF and we should be happy about it is a joke. This is a 34 year old who has produced next to nothing in his at bats. His OBP is nice and I think his defense is at least good.

Sure, technically he might be our best OF. However let's not throw a parade in this thread because he's 0.2 better in WAR over Engel.

The other thing is that Jay will lead off and push Moncada into a run producing role which is good for his development. Moncada isn't a leadoff guy. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Welcome to the bright side. You’ve convinced yourself. 

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

None of the OF other than Eloy will be ready in 2019. If it's a 1-year deal, it isn't a biggie anyway. 

You really don’t know that and I’d rather let Palka play now to see if his bat plays enough to find time for.

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

He’s literally exactly what this team needs more of. High OBP and low K rate. He’s obviously not a long term piece, but he fills a need and has great secondary benefits. 

Fully agree.  And on top of that, our OF is a complete wasteland at the moment and he’s literally blocking no one.  This was a smart, cheap way to get Engel’s bat of the lineup against RHP.

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Would you rather have Jones or Palka? Because that's ultimately who will lose the AB's with a Jones signing. Personally, I like the left-handed Palka-Power he provides the lineup. He's not a special player - very one dimensional, but batting lower in the lineup and he could end up the Sox version of Adam Duvall for a few years until a better prospect graduates and pushes him aside. And Duvall have a very productive few years before bottoming out this season.

• Like 1

• Tony unpinned this topic