Sox Sign Jon Jay; 1 year/$4 mil, Charlie Tilson DFA'd

soxfan49

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

This was referring to signing Adam Jones.

Palka is already marginalized with Alonso here. I don't trust him one bit in the OF. 

Either Alonso or Abreu has to go or Palka gets no ABs when Eloy gets called up. I don't even trust Palka in LF. Palka makes Schwarber look competent in LF. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Palka is already marginalized with Alonso here. I don't trust him one bit in the OF. 

Either Alonso or Abreu has to go or Palka gets no ABs when Eloy gets called up. I don't even trust Palka in LF. 

I think they’re gonna give Palka a shot in the OF to start 2019. May as well -DH will always be there. 

Edited by ChiSox59

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Either Alonso or Abreu has to go or Palka gets no ABs when Eloy gets called up. I don't even trust Palka in LF. 

I don't think the Sox trust him in the OF either. It will be interesting to see how they use him in the early going. 

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Projected lineup if we add Machado:

1. Moncada, 2B
  2. Machado, 3B
  3.  Abreu, DH
  4. Alonso, 1B
  5.  Jimenez, LF
  6. Palka, RF
  7. Castillo, C
  8. Jay, CF
  9. Anderson, SS

At least it would be semi-interesting.

If we're doing this, I'd go

Jay

Moncada

Machado

Jimenez

Abreu

Alonso

RF FA

Castillo

Anderson

Just now, GreenSox said:

Yes, this OBP machine is just what the team needs.  .306, .339, .374, .330 the last 4 years.  The fluke year with the Cubs probably explains the zeal for this guy.  

Thanks for refuting your own point, as the only player with a higher OBP the past 4 years for us is Abreu. Thus, this is indeed exactly what the team needs, to quote you.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Projected lineup if we add Machado:

1. Moncada, 2B
  2. Machado, 3B
  3. Abreu, DH
  4. Alonso, 1B
  5. Jimenez, LF
  6. Palka, RF
  7. Castillo, C
  8. Jay, CF
  9. Anderson, SS

At least it would be semi-interesting.

I’d have it in a slightly different order.

This should be capable of producing enough runs to recover the 5 Giolitto gives up in the first innings 😂

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I don't think the Sox trust him in the OF either. It will be interesting to see how they use him in the early going. 

I think either Alonso or Abreu is getting traded depending on what Machado does. 

Obviously, they won't sign Adam Jones or anyone who can take up RF until they either land Machado or Harper is off the board.  

Edited by Jack Parkman

8 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Yes, this OBP machine is just what the team needs.  .306, .339, .374, .330 the last 4 years.  The fluke year with the Cubs probably explains the zeal for this guy.  

Do you want to play the guy with the .279, .294, or .296 OBP  from last year over him instead?

No one is forcing you to be excited about Jon Jay. He is definitively "just a guy", but the current state of the White Sox outfield is atrocious. He is a competent big leaguer. He is cheap and signed on a short term deal and maybe gives you just the slightest boost to the possibility of signing Machado. He does not prevent another signing of an outfielder as he could just as easily be a 4th OF and that's honestly what he should be on a better team. Unfortunately, the White Sox are not yet that team and have an entire outfield comprised of 4th OFs at best.

Edited by TomPickle
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I imagine this was posted mockingly but yes I would love a .330 obp out of centerfield

Edited by Buehrle>Wood
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

Do you want to play the guy with the .279, .294, or .296 OBP  from last year over him instead?

To me, this isn't a good argument FOR Jon Jay.

Just because Jon Jay is a shinier turd than the shit that we have doesn't make this a move that 'the team needs'.

A better GM could have played the market and found a different option/ been more creative. Don't fool yourselves, this is purely for Machado.

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think either Alonso or Abreu is getting traded depending on what Machado does. 

Obviously, they won't sign Adam Jones or anyone who can take up RF until they either land Machado or Harper is off the board.  

I'll believe the Sox are trading Abreu when it happens. It doesn't seem that ever goes anywhere. I

Just now, iWiN4PreP said:

To me, this isn't a good argument FOR Jon Jay.

Just because Jon Jay is a shinier turd than the shit that we have doesn't make this a move that 'the team needs'.

A better GM could have played the market and found a different option/ been more creative. Don't fool yourselves, this is purely for Machado.

He’s literally the best inexpensive Cf option. There are many better bats that can’t play CF, or far more expensive guys like Pollock. 

3 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

Jon Jay is a 4th Outfielder option who can play a decent CF. Don’t get so negative even before Spring Training. Amazing how it seems every deal Hahn makes is hammered 

It’s not getting hammered. Almost everybody likes the move. It’s just that the negative posts stick out more. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I have a hard time believing the Sox acquired both Alonso and Jay without having any idea on if it matters to Machado whatsoever. Not sure how much it will matter if it comes down to similar offers, but it clearly matters.

If it doesn't matter, it is really fucking stupid. 

• Tony unpinned this topic