Sox Sign Jon Jay; 1 year/$4 mil, Charlie Tilson DFA'd

soxfan49

3 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

To me, this isn't a good argument FOR Jon Jay.

Just because Jon Jay is a shinier turd than the shit that we have doesn't make this a move that 'the team needs'.

A better GM could have played the market and found a different option/ been more creative. Don't fool yourselves, this is purely for Machado.

You keep saying this but have provided zero ideas so far.  Jon Jay cost us $4M total.  If all goes well, Basabe should be ready by opening day 2020.  A cheap, one-year stopgap is exactly what we needed.  There’s no guarantee Jay works out, but he’s likely an upgrade over the turds we planned on running out there next year and doesn’t jeapordize the long-term viability of the rebuild.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I'll believe the Sox are trading Abreu when it happens. It doesn't seem that ever goes anywhere. I

I wouldn't argue that, but I don't think Abreu would be opposed to taking a one year escapade in Houston. If he wants to come back, I think the Sox would bring him back. 

15 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Thanks for refuting your own point, as the only player with a higher OBP the past 4 years for us is Abreu. Thus, this is indeed exactly what the team needs, to quote you.

Having a better OBP than the players on a 62 win team is the standard for a good OBP?  LOL .  Oh and you forgot one: Narvaez @ .366 OBP, a player this board  couldn't wait to get rid of (probably because he wasn't a blue-chip prospect, despite being under 30 and improving).
This is so ridiculous - Jay is not a good player, won't help the Sox win, and will block younger players.  Why?   

Edited by GreenSox

Just now, GreenSox said:

Having a better OBP than the players on a 62 win team is the standard for a good OBP?  LOL .  Oh and you forgot one: Narvaez @ .366 OBP, a player this board  couldn't wait to get rid of (probably because he wasn't a blue-chip prospect, despite being under 30 and improving).
This is so ridiculous - Jay is not a good players, won't help the Sox win, and will block younger players.  Why?

Because he’s butt buddies with Machado.  What do you not get about this??

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If it doesn't matter, it is really fucking stupid. 

The Alonso deal would be stupid.

This Jay deal is good regardless of what Machado does. Much needed OBP in the lineup and also plays the biggest position of need. All for next to nothing and hes not blocking anyone. 

We're not playing for a draft pick anymore. We dont need to compete but it's time to win some ball games and give these young guys (and fans) some confidence.

2 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

This is so ridiculous - Jay is not a good players, won't help the Sox win, and will block younger players.  Why?

Who is Jay blocking?

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Sorry Parkman, but the Sox aren’t trading Abreu if they add Machado.

Probably not, but I wouldn't count it out. After last season, I just want them to give Palka ABs and I don't see where he's going to get any after Eloy gets called up. Unless Eloy is playing RF and they're leaving it open for a couple weeks. I barely trust Palka in LF as it is. You can't completely waste a lefty power bat like Palka. They have to see if he can get on base at a decent clip. 

2 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Couple questions for you guys:

1. If they sign Machado, where will Moncada most likely hit in the lineup? 

2. If they sign Machado, what will the bench look like?

Regarding the bench, it really depends on the size (3 or 4 guys) and if we upgrade RF.  Assuming Palka in RF, I think we’re looking at Yolmer, McCann plus one or two of Leury, Engel, & Rondon.

3 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

The Alonso deal would be stupid.

This Jay deal is good regardless of what Machado does. Much needed OBP in the lineup and also plays the biggest position of need. All for next to nothing and hes not blocking anyone. 

We're not playing for a draft pick anymore. We dont need to compete but it's time to win some ball games and give these young guys (and fans) some confidence.

I agree about Jay being ok but Alonso being stupid. 

Also, I know Pomeranz sucked last year but they need to get on it and sign him. If he can pass a physical he'll be good. He was really bad(like Giolito bad) and injured last year. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Using your 4 year window Jay ranks 14th among CFs with at least 1000 PAs during that time frame. He is a competent player with solid on base skills. We're just going to keep talking back and forth without solving anything obviously, but this move has literally no downside. He is not preventing a signing of Harper, Pollock, etc. or blocking any real prospect from getting playing time. You are just being mad about this to be mad about this.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Regarding the bench, it really depends on the size (3 or 4 guys) and if we upgrade RF.  Assuming Palka in RF, I think we’re looking at Yolmer, McCann plus one or two of Leury, Engel, & Rondon.

Yeah, I'm thinking it'll be Yolmer, Engel, and McCann although I'd actually prefer if it were Rondon, Leury, and McCann instead. Thanks.

13 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

? IUHaving a better OBP than the players on a 62 win team is the standard for a good OBP?  LOL .  Oh and you forgot one: Narvaez @ .366 OBP, a player this board  couldn't wait to get rid of (probably because he wasn't a blue-chip prospect, despite being under 30 and improving).
This is so ridiculous - Jay is not a good player, won't help the Sox win, and will block younger players.  Why?   

Who is Jay blocking in 2019? 

Basabe isn't ready

Robert hasn't had a full season in the minors yet

Gonzalez will be in AA. 

He's not blocking anyone. 

Palka is already marginalized with Alonso's presence, if you're worried about him. 

Adam Engel fucking sucks. Jay is better than Engel by a mile. 

Jay might not be that good, but he's still a massive upgrade over Engel, who is complete trash. 

Are you saying you'd pick Engel over Jay in 2019? If so, pass whatever you're smoking. It must be some really good shit. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, BlackSox13 said:

I'll take a left handed bat that can play all three outfield positions. For 4M it's a no-brainer.

I'd love him as a 4th OF if we were contending. Since we're not, it isn't a big deal. He's not very good, but he's much better than Engel. 

56 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Would you rather have Jones or Palka? Because that's ultimately who will lose the AB's with a Jones signing. Personally, I like the left-handed Palka-Power he provides the lineup. He's not a special player - very one dimensional, but batting lower in the lineup and he could end up the Sox version of Adam Duvall for a few years until a better prospect graduates and pushes him aside. And Duvall have a very productive few years before bottoming out this season.

Palka is a strict DH IMO. He is an absolute disaster anywhere on the field. If they want to find ABs for him, they have to move either Abreu or Alonso. He could get ABs in LF until Eloy gets the call, but he'll cost them a game or two in the first couple weeks of the season. Palka makes Schwarber look competent in the OF. There is no way in hell that Palka should ever see RF. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

If everything went to plan, I think this may be my April 15 lineup. 

1. Moncada, 2B (S)
  2. Jay, CF (LH)
  3. Abreu, DH (RH)
  4. Machado, 3B (RH)
  5. Palka, RF (LH)
  6. Eloy, LF (RH)
  7. Alonso, 1B (LH)
  8. Wellington, C (RH) 
  9. Anderson, SS (RH)

It’s not great, but could have some fun spots and has decent balance. 

I can't take any lineup that has Palka in RF seriously. I just can't, 

• Tony unpinned this topic