Sox Sign Jon Jay; 1 year/$4 mil, Charlie Tilson DFA'd

soxfan49

Jon Jay is 33 and not very good. I won't go on and on and get all greg-ged up about it, but folks I don't really wanna watch Jon Jay on my mlb.com subscription next season. I guess he could replace Engel and that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. But ... geez, Jon Jay?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tony said:

If everything went to plan, I think this may be my April 15 lineup. 

1. Moncada, 2B (S)
  2. Jay, CF (LH)
  3. Abreu, DH (RH)
  4. Machado, 3B (RH)
  5. Palka, RF (LH)
  6. Eloy, LF (RH)
  7. Alonso, 1B (LH)
  8. Wellington, C (RH) 
  9. Anderson, SS (RH)

It’s not great, but could have some fun spots and has decent balance. 

You'd have Harper as the 4th OF on the bench?

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

Jon Jay is 33 and not very good. I won't go on and on and get all greg-ged up about it, but folks I don't really wanna watch Jon Jay on my mlb.com subscription next season. I guess he could replace Engel and that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. But ... geez, Jon Jay?

Man, this is as greggy as a greg post gets. I missed you, Greg. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

People are saying Jay is better than Engel... last year Engel had 0.6 WAR, Jay had 0.8. "better".

Yeah... this is what we're going for...

Jay's age 34, this guy isn't going to do anything.

So your ranting and raving makes me think you wanted the Sox to challenge the Indians this year ? Think man think ! The starting pitching staff in no way resembles a staff that could even sniff the playoffs. So whats the most important thing the Sox can do for 2019 ? Sign MANNY MACHADO or/and Bryce Harper'

I'm good if every single move they make leads to that !. Just about every one they've acquired so far accept McCann has Machado written all over it .

We are married to Machado now just without the consummating the marriage yet.  ( Let that mental image sink in ) :P You know what they say .Happy wife, happy life.

2 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

He literally said "it's not great" in his post.

Oh I know, but Palka in RF is beyond ludicrous. (well you can put Palka in RF, but if you do so you add a run or two to your staff ERA over the course of the season) 

Edited by Jack Parkman

11 minutes ago, Tony said:

1. Moncada, 2B (S)
  2. Jay, CF (LH)
  3. Abreu, DH (RH)
  4. Machado, 3B (RH)
  5. Palka, RF (LH)
  6. Eloy, LF (RH)
  7. Alonso, 1B (LH)
  8. Wellington, C (RH) 
  9. Anderson, SS (RH)

Eloy should be batting 2, 3 or 4 unless he struggles.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So your ranting and raving makes me think you wanted the Sox to challenge the Indians this year ? Think man think ! The starting pitching staff in no way resembles a staff that could even sniff the playoffs. So whats the most important thing the Sox can do for 2019 ? Sign MANNY MACHADO or/and Bryce Harper'

I'm good if every single move they make leads to that !. Just about every one they've acquired so far accept McCann has Machado written all over it .

We are married to Machado now just without the consummating the marriage yet.  ( Let that mental image sink in ) :P You know what they say .Happy wife, happy life.

Your assumption is slightly wrong. I don't expect the White Sox to be able to compete. That's unrealistic. 

My stance in this thread was more: Jon Jay is another boring, meh player picked up by the W'Sox to 'Woo' Machado to our team. I'm not a fan of this strategy, I think it's pretty lame for a professional organization to add friends and family of a star player to get him to sign with them. 

With this being said, posters have made good points on Jay and I've learned a little about him. He likely figures to be our best OF'r, but as Greg put it well, it's still Jon Jay. The optimism in this thread is rather strange. Without Machado, would we still be happy about signing Jon Jay (a 34 year old)?

16 minutes ago, Tony said:

1. Moncada, 2B (S)
  2. Jay, CF (LH)
  3. Abreu, DH (RH)
  4. Machado, 3B (RH)
  5. Palka, RF (LH)
  6. Eloy, LF (RH)
  7. Alonso, 1B (LH)
  8. Wellington, C (RH) 
  9. Anderson, SS (RH)

If Jon Jay is batting second, you’re not serious about winning. 

2 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Your assumption is slightly wrong. I don't expect the White Sox to be able to compete. That's unrealistic. 

My stance in this thread was more: Jon Jay is another boring, meh player picked up by the W'Sox to 'Woo' Machado to our team. I'm not a fan of this strategy, I think it's pretty lame for a professional organization to add friends and family of a star player to get him to sign with them. 

With this being said, posters have made good points on Jay and I've learned a little about him. He likely figures to be our best OF'r, but as Greg put it well, it's still Jon Jay. The optimism in this thread is rather strange. Without Machado, would we still be happy about signing Jon Jay (a 34 year old)?

What if Machado requested this?

7 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

That's why it was a question when I assumed it. There is no harm in adding Jay for a year. No downside whatsoever.

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

Yeah, I don’t really think they are in 2019. 

Batting him second doesn’t even make sense from a development standpoint because you want to make sure that your best players are getting the most plate appearances. 

15 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

Between Machado and Sox during their meeting?

No idea, I'm just speculating that I can't imagine Hahn has acquired 2 somewhat redundant and not-obviously-better stopgap players that have strong connections to Manny without knowing, and thus discussing, these guys with Manny or his agent at some point.  

4 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

No idea, I'm just speculating that I can't imagine Hahn has acquired 2 somewhat redundant and not-obviously-better stopgap players that have strong connections to Manny without knowing, and thus discussing, these guys with Manny or his agent at some point.  

I'd hope so. Because if they did this without Manny knowing. It could either make him happy, or come as kind of creepy/weird.

What’s the additional payroll coming onto this year’s roster, $39 million now?

We must be paying about $10-12 million/1 fWAR.

Where are we now in terms of added versus subtracted WAR with all the players we pushed out the door to make room for Machado’s friends?   We kept Castillo (and McCann) over Narvaez/Smith, added Alonso over Davidson, Jay instead of Engel/Leury...Nova replacing Shields essentially, plus Colome and Herrera.

5 hours ago, DH in the NL said:

Between Machado and Sox during their meeting?

I doubt it was discussed but the Sox probably figure it might help. Again, its all going to be about the money but these moves make it look a little more enticing for him to be here for the *hopefully* only bad year Manny would be here.

Edited by soxfan2014

5 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Oh I know, but Palka in RF is beyond ludicrous. (well you can put Palka in RF, but if you do so you add a run or two to your staff ERA over the course of the season) 

Palka got a lot better. And it’s not going to add a run or two, that’s ridiculous.

18 minutes ago, Sarava said:

I'd hope so. Because if they did this without Manny knowing. It could either make him happy, or come as kind of creepy/weird.

This is my favorite subplot, the possibility the Sox are doing this without discussing with Manny at all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For all we know, the Sox and Machado are deep in negotiations and he's excited about having a team built around him, but he's asking for some friends/family to be a part of the team in 2019.  We, as fans, know that even with the addition of Machado this team needs more in 2019 to a bit more competitive.  Jon Jay, albeit not exciting at all, is an upgrade over Engel.  And it's $4M, that's not a big deal.

It sounds strange that the Sox would acquire these guys (Alonso, Jay) on short deals when they are somewhat redundant, but if it helps to get Machado signed who cares?

I can’t recall at least two players ever being added to an MLB roster to specifically entice a big-time free agent to sign.

That doesn’t even count Castillo, Colome, Nova and Herrera, and their connections to Machado.

One thing’s for sure, if we don’t manage to sign Machado, every Hahn trade from that point forward will be a punchline to a joke about putting the gang together to connect a new group of Sox acquisitions to a potential 2019-20 Free Agent target.

• Tony unpinned this topic