Sox Sign Jon Jay; 1 year/$4 mil, Charlie Tilson DFA'd

soxfan49

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

But what matters is the yearly payroll. If I walked up to Theo and handed him $20 million right now, it would not increase his chances of landing Harper at all. They would still need to clear some space.

If JR had the extra $13 million in the bank next October, there's a pretty good chance he would OK a 2019 payroll a bit higher than if it was already spent. 

The reason the Sox have some money to play with is they have had very low payrolls the last couple of years. 

13 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I am really not nearly as dense as some try to make me. I know the checks aren't going to bounce. I am merely saying they have spent $13 million and are still a 95 loss team. If that $13 million reels in Machado, it's great.  It is money well spent. If not, it's $13 million that won't be in the checking account when you are actually adding players to win games. At some point, that $13 million makes a difference for every team. 

Your not dense. Just looking for any reason to fault the FO. This money is inconsequential during this time. If they were already near their spending limit, its different.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I don't think it needs to be pointed out and repeated that this move is dumb without Machado.  We all know 

I don’t think it’s really worth all the fretting.

Lets wait and see if it results in any other signings. 

Maybe we aren’t competing against the Yankees here...

Just now, TomPickle said:

Using your own logic here, what if these are $13 million for Alonso and Jay are $13 million unspent dollars from last year that is essentially free money that can be used for recruiting this year?

Say you have $20k in the bank you would consider spending money. You decide, you know what, I need a blow out vacation. I am going to spent $15k on it. 

The next year your car breaks down, you need a new one. Would your car budget be higher, lower or the same had you not spent the $15k on the vacation?

I cannot understand how anyone cannot get the logic that money spent now is money that will not be in the bank for later. It is the very reason the White Sox are even mentioned when Machado and Harper come up.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Say you have $20k in the bank you would consider spending money. You decide, you know what, I need a blow out vacation. I am going to spent $15k on it. 

The next year your car breaks down, you need a new one. Would your car budget be higher, lower or the same had you not spent the $15k on the vacation?

I cannot understand how anyone cannot get the logic that money spent now is money that will not be in the bank for later. It is the very reason the White Sox are even mentioned when Machado and Harper come up.

Why do you care about Jerry's wallet?  They have been saving money tanking the past few seasons, have a sweetheart stadium deal and just signed a new TV contract.  A few million for Jon Jay is not going to financially cripple the team or prevent them from doing anything they want to do in the future.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Your not dense. Just looking for any reason to fault the FO. This money is inconsequential during this time. If they were already near their spending limit, its different.

I am not faulting them at all if it works. In fact I gave them so much credit, I thought trading for Alonso made it a done deal. Maybe this does as well. But if I have to see Yolmer at 3B in 2019 with Jay in CF and Alonso at 1b/DH, and Manny playing for NYY or PHI, yeah, I am going to fault the front office. The money is never inconsequential. 

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If JR had the extra $13 million in the bank next October, there's a pretty good chance he would OK a 2019 payroll a bit higher than if it was already spent. 

The reason the Sox have some money to play with is they have had very low payrolls the last couple of years. 

If that's the case, then I see your point. I just think that the Sox have money to play with because they have such a small amount of money on the books right now. 

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I am not faulting them at all if it works. In fact I gave them so much credit, I thought trading for Alonso made it a done deal. Maybe this does as well. But if I have to see Yolmer at 3B in 2019 with Jay in CF and Alonso at 1b/DH, and Manny playing for NYY or PHI, yeah, I am going to fault the front office. The money is never inconsequential. 

You will fault them for doing everything  they can to try to convince him to sign with the Sox, even if it doesn't work? I still don't understand  why trying everything they can is a reason to find fault. 

Just now, ptatc said:

You will fault them for doing everything  they can to try to convince him to sign with the Sox, even if it doesn't work? I still don't understand  why trying everything they can is a reason to find fault. 

Because this isn't Little League, where it's not if you win or lose, but how you play the game. This is if you win or lose. If they lose and spend $13 million on top of that, it takes that failure up a notch. 

17 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That's not how payroll works and you know it. You used to always talk about the Sox having extra money when they needed it and Jerry not finding change in his couch. You know how payroll works. If the Sox wanted to have payroll around $150 mil a year, they aren't going to spend $250 mil in year 2 just because their payroll was $50 mil in year 1. They have a budget and shareholders and all that. They will spend in a given year what is appropriate for that year. Anything they didn't spend in the past is profit. If you want to argue they should have used to $13 mil to build a facility in Latin America, that's fine. But you are not being clever here.

Edited by Roughneck

1 minute ago, Roughneck said:

That's not how payroll works and you know it. You used to always talking about the Sox having extra money when they needed it and Jerry not finding change in his couch. You know how payroll works. If the Sox wanted to have payroll around $150 mil a year, they aren't going to spend $250 mil in year 2 just because their payroll was $50 mil in year 1. They have a budget and shareholders and all that. They will spend in a given year what is appropriate for that year. Anything they didn't spend in the past is profit. If you want to argue they should have used to $13 mil to build a facility in Latin America, that's fine. But you are not being clever here.

And they don't take that profit out. They allegedly put it back into the team.

Just now, ptatc said:

There’s no, “even if it doesn’t work.” It better work. 

Just now, Roughneck said:

If the Sox wanted to have payroll around $150 mil a year, they aren't going to spend $250 mil in year 2 just because their payroll was $50 mil in year 1. They have a budget and shareholders and all that. They will spend in a given year what is appropriate for that year. 

I don't believe that is true.  Accountants can do a million different things to move money from one year to the next.  If the shareholders are on board with a penny saved is a penny earned for future payroll then that just isn't a problem.  

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Because this isn't Little League, where it's not if you win or lose, but how you play the game. This is if you win or lose. If they lose and spend $13 million on top of that, it takes that failure up a notch. 

You seem to be a guy who judges a decision based on the results, as opposed to the information available at the time of the decision. 

When you are watching football and your team decides to go for it on 4th down, is it automatically a bad decision if they don't convert and a good decision if they do? 

Edited by SoxBlanco
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Jay is the perfect 9 hitter, you people are nuts.

Also, it seems like there isn't necessarily one part of his game that will make you want to vomit uncontrollably game after game, like Engel's offense, or Nicky/Palka's defense.  Nice contact/on-base guy, playing good defense at a critical defensive position, I'm good with that.  

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

So you don't agree that there are factors beyond the FO control such as manny wanting to play for his childhood team or wife preferring NY over Chicago. Again trying harder makes losing worse. That's a really good way to teach people to not try because to make losing easier.

I would rather give them credit for trying. Doesn't mean it was a success but at least it's different from the past where they weren't in the game.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

You seem to be a guy that judges a decision based on the results, as opposed to the information available at the time of the decision. 

When you are watching football and your team decides to go for it on 4th down, is it automatically a bad decision if they don't convert and a good decision if they do? 

If they aren't acquiring these guys knowing something we cannot know, it is ridiculous. If Manny's camp is saying you get so and so and I will sign, it is brilliant.  If Theo spent $13 million bringing in mediocre players to attract a HOFer, and the HOFer still blew him off, we would all be laughing our asses off. 

Edited by Dick Allen

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Who cares if they spend $13M this year that will be off the books? This year is a wash anyways especially if we don't sign Machado/Harper.

Alonso and Jay could and probably will be dealt at the deadline if they have a decent first half of the season. There is 0 harm in having Jon Jay and Yonder Alonso on this team. People will b**** to b****

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Why would you give Jay that many at-bats, compared to Jimenez, Palka or Anderson?

to balance the line up, even with Eloy's pedigree there is no way they're going to break him in in the top half and put that pressure on him, Anderson at 9th is fine. What would your lineup look like?

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Christ I actually agree with DA here.  The sox are using a weird process.  Now, maybe it's genius but an extraordinary claim like that requires an extraordinary result imo.  Reel in the whale.

If it works awesome, but honestly —is this is what we have to do to convince premier FAs to sign with us? Anyone else feel it’s just....kind of sad? 

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

You seem to be a guy that judges a decision based on the results, as opposed to the information available at the time of the decision. 

Context.  If it's 4th and 12 on your 48 and you go for it yea we can question the process.  Given that 29 other team s aren't going the friends and family plan I think this process is open to ridicule should it fail.

• Tony unpinned this topic