Sox Sign Jon Jay; 1 year/$4 mil, Charlie Tilson DFA'd

soxfan49

33 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Tilson vs Jay in 2019 would have been close to a coin flip IMHO.

The difference is Charlie would have been 3.5mm cheaper, has options remaining, 5 years of control and at least a glimmer of upside.  

C'mon Manny!

Tilson wasn't even good enough to get recalled in September of last year on a 100 loss team.  That is pretty much what you need to know about Charlie Tilson.

In other news, the 40 man is getting a bit crowded.  Starting to get to the point that cutting guys may get a bit painful.  Order of next guys to go, IMO:

Manny Banuelos, Ryan Cordell, Dylan Covey, Kodi Medeiros, Thyago Vieria, Jose Rondon, Carson Fulmer, Jordan Stephens, Nicky Delmonico, Adam Engel.  

The first few could go without much pain, but you start to lose guys that are interesting and you'd like to hold onto. Everyone on this list but Medeiros and Stephens have MLB experience.

The roster crunch next season is going to be real.  Hope Rick thinks about some creative trades over the next 12 months to trim some of this and get back value that doesn't need to be protected for awhile.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

In other news, the 40 man is getting a bit crowded.  Starting to get to the point that cutting guys may get a bit painful.  Order of next guys to go, IMO:

Manny Banuelos, Ryan Cordell, Dylan Covey, Kodi Medeiros, Thyago Vieria, Jose Rondon, Carson Fulmer, Jordan Stephens, Nicky Delmonico, Adam Engel.  

The first few could go without much pain, but you start to lose guys that are interesting and you'd like to hold onto. Everyone on this list but Medeiros and Stephens have MLB experience.

The roster crunch next season is going to be real.  Hope Rick thinks about some creative trades over the next 12 months to trim some of this and get back value that doesn't need to be protected for awhile.  

These situations will likely play themselves out over the course of a season.  Guys will bomb, succeed, and make this obvious.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

These situations will likely play themselves out over the course of a season.  Guys will bomb, succeed, and make this obvious.

For sure, but just looking at right now, you can see how there will be a crunch with a large number of guys that will need to be protected next offseason.  Most guys currently on the 40 man are keepers, or at least interesting enough to think they'd have some value around the league.  

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Sox really whiffed on their targets they acquired from duke/swarzak. I hope they re evaluate that type of return.

At this point, if they're flipping guys in July, they need to flip for single A upside lottery tickets or recently signed interesting international guys.  There isn't space for more AAAA or close to majors but blocked fringy guys.  There isn't room.  

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

Sox really whiffed on their targets they acquired from duke/swarzak. I hope they re evaluate that type of return.

It will be interesting to see if both Tilson and Cordell bounce back after getting to be healthy for a fairly long period of time for the first time with the White Sox.

14 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

You’re right that things are getting crowded, but I don’t see Banuelos being the next guy to go.  They literally just traded a minor leaguer with some potential (admittedly not a ton) to get him.  I also think Covey is pretty safe given he’d be our 5th starter right now.  Similar logic applies to Stephens as well. I don’t see Medeiros going anywhere either.  The rest of your list makes a lot of sense to me and Cordell just might be the next guy on the chopping block.  The only other guy I’d add is possibly Leury (who can easily be traded for something inconsequential) if they decide to go with a three man bench and would like to keep Rondon, who is out of options.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It will be interesting to see if both Tilson and Cordell bounce back after getting to be healthy for a fairly long period of time for the first time with the White Sox.

Clock is ticking man, I don’t know they’ll have a chance.

26 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

There isn't one name on that list that you couldn't unequivocally say the White Sox are probably better off not paying them. 

18 minutes ago, bmags said:

Hard to say with the injuries they experienced.  Cordell missed so much time over the past two seasons that it’s possible he returns to form this year with better health, strength, rhythm, etc.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

There isn't one name on that list that you couldn't unequivocally say the White Sox are probably better off not paying them. 

I think Rondon could be a valuable utility guy. Vieria could be an interesting BP piece. These are not unequivocal. 

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Hard to say with the injuries they experienced.  Cordell missed so much time over the past two seasons that it’s possible he returns to form this year with better health, strength, rhythm, etc.

I think the injuries showed off the risk in acquiring 24/25 year olds.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That is my hope.  I know what the odds are, but both missed so much time, who knows.

22 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

At this point, if they're flipping guys in July, they need to flip for single A upside lottery tickets or recently signed interesting international guys.  There isn't space for more AAAA or close to majors but blocked fringy guys.  There isn't room.  

I think a lot of posters (@iamshack specifically) said that should have been game all along. I was open to it as sox had shown some ability to target these types of players in the past, but they were injured but also...they just didn't have very high ceilings and I think taking less certainty in a tradeoff for higher payoff (players that still may grow into their bodies and raise ceilings) made more sense for rebuilding sox than targeting these players to see what they did with an MLB spot. They really could have just used waivers for that exclusively.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

To be fair, they could have just as easily as gotten an 18 year old who never made it out of A ball.

I would have been happier with the process in that, personally. I was open to these trades at time despite preference being younger wild cards. But seeing how necessary it was for them to get playing time right away to decide whether they would stick (AAA would not define that anymore), I'd hope that any flips sox still may do targets younger players.

They may not make sox, but they'd have a longer window of being trade chips even if they don't pan out. The value of these guys died 6 months after they were acquired.

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Losing them for nothing might just be a positive. Not much to see there. 

11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Ya, I disagree.  

Just now, bmags said:

I think a lot of posters (@iamshack specifically) said that should have been game all along. I was open to it as sox had shown some ability to target these types of players in the past, but they were injured but also...they just didn't have very high ceilings and I think taking less certainty in a tradeoff for higher payoff (players that still may grow into their bodies and raise ceilings) made more sense for rebuilding sox than targeting these players to see what they did with an MLB spot. They really could have just used waivers for that exclusively.

I agree with this for the most part, but Cordell is somewhat a five tool guy with some actual upside IMO.  With CF wide open last year, I think he was worth rolling the dice on, just unfortunate he never had a real opportunity.  I was never a big fan of Tilson though, as he seemed like a 4th OF all the way.

Just now, ptatc said:

A 24/25 is not an increased injury risk. That's prime health. The body and brain are just finishing their development. 

That's not what I'm saying, I'm saying the lost time due to injuries is worse for a 24/25/26 year old prospect who needed to prove themselves at mlb level almost immediately. They lost 6 months and were effectively replaced.