soxfan49

Sox Sign Jon Jay; 1 year/$4 mil, Charlie Tilson DFA'd

Yes, this OBP machine is just what the team needs.  .306, .339, .374, .330 the last 4 years.  The fluke year with the Cubs probably explains the zeal for this guy.  

Just now, GreenSox said:

Yes, this OBP machine is just what the team needs.  .306, .339, .374, .330 the last 4 years.  The fluke year with the Cubs probably explains the zeal for this guy.  

Thanks for refuting your own point, as the only player with a higher OBP the past 4 years for us is Abreu. Thus, this is indeed exactly what the team needs, to quote you.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Projected lineup if we add Machado:

1. Moncada, 2B
  2. Machado, 3B
  3. Abreu, DH
  4. Alonso, 1B
  5. Jimenez, LF
  6. Palka, RF
  7. Castillo, C
  8. Jay, CF
  9. Anderson, SS

At least it would be semi-interesting.

I’d have it in a slightly different order.

This should be capable of producing enough runs to recover the 5 Giolitto gives up in the first innings 😂

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I don't think the Sox trust him in the OF either. It will be interesting to see how they use him in the early going. 

I think either Alonso or Abreu is getting traded depending on what Machado does. 

Obviously, they won't sign Adam Jones or anyone who can take up RF until they either land Machado or Harper is off the board.  

Edited by Jack Parkman

8 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Do you want to play the guy with the .279, .294, or .296 OBP  from last year over him instead?

No one is forcing you to be excited about Jon Jay. He is definitively "just a guy", but the current state of the White Sox outfield is atrocious. He is a competent big leaguer. He is cheap and signed on a short term deal and maybe gives you just the slightest boost to the possibility of signing Machado. He does not prevent another signing of an outfielder as he could just as easily be a 4th OF and that's honestly what he should be on a better team. Unfortunately, the White Sox are not yet that team and have an entire outfield comprised of 4th OFs at best.

Edited by TomPickle
  • Like 3

Jon Jay is a 4th Outfielder option who can play a decent CF. Don’t get so negative even before Spring Training. Amazing how it seems every deal Hahn makes is hammered 

8 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I imagine this was posted mockingly but yes I would love a .330 obp out of centerfield

Edited by Buehrle>Wood
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

Do you want to play the guy with the .279, .294, or .296 OBP  from last year over him instead?

To me, this isn't a good argument FOR Jon Jay.

Just because Jon Jay is a shinier turd than the shit that we have doesn't make this a move that 'the team needs'.

A better GM could have played the market and found a different option/ been more creative. Don't fool yourselves, this is purely for Machado.

I have a hard time believing the Sox acquired both Alonso and Jay without having any idea on if it matters to Machado whatsoever. Not sure how much it will matter if it comes down to similar offers, but it clearly matters.

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think either Alonso or Abreu is getting traded depending on what Machado does. 

Obviously, they won't sign Adam Jones or anyone who can take up RF until they either land Machado or Harper is off the board.  

I'll believe the Sox are trading Abreu when it happens. It doesn't seem that ever goes anywhere. I

Just now, iWiN4PreP said:

Just because Jon Jay is a shinier turd than the shit that we have doesn't make this a move that 'the team needs'.

A better GM could have played the market and found a different option/ been more creative. Don't fool yourselves, this is purely for Machado.

He’s literally the best inexpensive Cf option. There are many better bats that can’t play CF, or far more expensive guys like Pollock. 

3 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

Jon Jay is a 4th Outfielder option who can play a decent CF. Don’t get so negative even before Spring Training. Amazing how it seems every deal Hahn makes is hammered 

It’s not getting hammered. Almost everybody likes the move. It’s just that the negative posts stick out more. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I have a hard time believing the Sox acquired both Alonso and Jay without having any idea on if it matters to Machado whatsoever. Not sure how much it will matter if it comes down to similar offers, but it clearly matters.

If it doesn't matter, it is really fucking stupid. 

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

He gets the idiot of the day award.

3 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

You keep saying this but have provided zero ideas so far.  Jon Jay cost us $4M total.  If all goes well, Basabe should be ready by opening day 2020.  A cheap, one-year stopgap is exactly what we needed.  There’s no guarantee Jay works out, but he’s likely an upgrade over the turds we planned on running out there next year and doesn’t jeapordize the long-term viability of the rebuild.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I'll believe the Sox are trading Abreu when it happens. It doesn't seem that ever goes anywhere. I

I wouldn't argue that, but I don't think Abreu would be opposed to taking a one year escapade in Houston. If he wants to come back, I think the Sox would bring him back. 

Couple questions for you guys:

1. If they sign Machado, where will Moncada most likely hit in the lineup? 

2. If they sign Machado, what will the bench look like?

15 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Thanks for refuting your own point, as the only player with a higher OBP the past 4 years for us is Abreu. Thus, this is indeed exactly what the team needs, to quote you.

Having a better OBP than the players on a 62 win team is the standard for a good OBP?  LOL .  Oh and you forgot one: Narvaez @ .366 OBP, a player this board  couldn't wait to get rid of (probably because he wasn't a blue-chip prospect, despite being under 30 and improving).
This is so ridiculous - Jay is not a good player, won't help the Sox win, and will block younger players.  Why?   

Edited by GreenSox

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I wouldn't argue that, but I don't think Abreu would be opposed to taking a one year escapade in Houston. If he wants to come back, I think the Sox would bring him back. 

Sorry Parkman, but the Sox aren’t trading Abreu if they add Machado.

Just now, GreenSox said:

Having a better OBP than the players on a 62 win team is the standard for a good OBP?  LOL .  Oh and you forgot one: Narvaez @ .366 OBP, a player this board  couldn't wait to get rid of (probably because he wasn't a blue-chip prospect, despite being under 30 and improving).
This is so ridiculous - Jay is not a good players, won't help the Sox win, and will block younger players.  Why?

Because he’s butt buddies with Machado.  What do you not get about this??

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If it doesn't matter, it is really fucking stupid. 

The Alonso deal would be stupid.

This Jay deal is good regardless of what Machado does. Much needed OBP in the lineup and also plays the biggest position of need. All for next to nothing and hes not blocking anyone. 

We're not playing for a draft pick anymore. We dont need to compete but it's time to win some ball games and give these young guys (and fans) some confidence.

2 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

This is so ridiculous - Jay is not a good players, won't help the Sox win, and will block younger players.  Why?

Who is Jay blocking?

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Sorry Parkman, but the Sox aren’t trading Abreu if they add Machado.

Probably not, but I wouldn't count it out. After last season, I just want them to give Palka ABs and I don't see where he's going to get any after Eloy gets called up. Unless Eloy is playing RF and they're leaving it open for a couple weeks. I barely trust Palka in LF as it is. You can't completely waste a lefty power bat like Palka. They have to see if he can get on base at a decent clip. 

2 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Couple questions for you guys:

1. If they sign Machado, where will Moncada most likely hit in the lineup? 

2. If they sign Machado, what will the bench look like?

Regarding the bench, it really depends on the size (3 or 4 guys) and if we upgrade RF.  Assuming Palka in RF, I think we’re looking at Yolmer, McCann plus one or two of Leury, Engel, & Rondon.