Sox Sign Jon Jay; 1 year/$4 mil, Charlie Tilson DFA'd

soxfan49

1 minute ago, Tony said:

YOU DONT HAVE TO SEE ANOTHER POINT. THERE IS NO OTHER POINT. THERE IS ONE REASON AND ONE REASON ONLY JON JAY IS BEING ADDED TO THE ROSTER.

Cause he’s good friends with Yonder and they want to sign him to an extension?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tony said:

YOU DONT HAVE TO SEE ANOTHER POINT. THERE IS NO OTHER POINT. THERE IS ONE REASON AND ONE REASON ONLY JON JAY IS BEING ADDED TO THE ROSTER.

Last time I wrecked this guy in the wrestling thread for continuing to bash the product yet subsequently continuing to watch the product, he blocked me, so be careful.

8 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

To me it's wasted money and a wasted roster spot. There's significantly better options out there. I'm not critical point upset -- if we get Manny, I'll see how the roster plays out, but i'm worried that moves like this puts us out on other potential FA's.

What other free agent OFs are considerably better AND can play CF?

Just now, soxfan49 said:

Last time I wrecked this guy in the wrestling thread for continuing to bash the product yet subsequently continuing to watch the product, he blocked me, so be careful.

If I had to guess he (and others) has a strong Harper>Machado preference and is feeling the heat.

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

"Best friend growing up?" Dude's 7 years older.

I worked in Miami for a short time and I've never seen a tighter knit community. Yes he's 7 years older but the odds that Machado was 1) playing with older kids growing up and 2) getting mentored by Jay growing up are overwhelming.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Rule #1, read this post.

Rule #2, if there is any confusion,  see Rule #1.

Welp, you sold me -- let's collect dog shit so that we attract a real prize.

Seriously tho -- I'm cool with it if it nets us the big dog... I hate the strategy of it tho.... you don't see a team like the Yankees pulling this to get Machado. This is clown-style strategy. This will be my last negative post here. Let's go GET MACHADO!

16 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

People are saying Jay is better than Engel... last year Engel had 0.6 WAR, Jay had 0.8. "better".

Yeah... this is what we're going for...

Jay's age 34, this guy isn't going to do anything.

Engel's glove is worth .5 WAR, yes.  Now let Jon Jay hit 3 times a game and bring Engel in in the 8th for defensive duties when we're winning.

• Like 1

Just now, iWiN4PreP said:

Welp, you sold me -- let's collect dog shit so that we attract a real prize.

Seriously tho -- I'm cool with it if it nets us the big dog... I hate the strategy of it tho.... you don't see a team like the Yankees pulling this to get Machado. This is clown-style strategy. This will be my last negative post here. Let's go GET MACHADO!

It's different.  It is another way of distinguishing yourself from the crowd. 

• Like 1

I think being super high-character veterans also has something to do with the signings.  Sure Machado is important, but we also have to build a culture.  

And ANYTHING to get fucking Tolson off the depth chart.  Worst player I’ve ever seen in a Sox uniform since Brian Simmons

Edited by Jerksticks

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

So the one thing that does worry me is this is the White Sox we are talking about. I’d be lying if I said there isn’t a part of me thinking this is a rash move by the Sox, they don’t feel like they are in the drivers seat so they are pulling out last ditch efforts to try and help. Or they think they don’t need to offer the top bid because they have his buddies. 

I don’t think that’s the case, but it also wouldn’t shock me. 

Yeah I get that feeling too. For the love of God, just offer the most cash.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Can we make his successful recruiting of Manny a clause in his contract?

You have to wonder if the Sox are any damn good come 2020 and manny has opt outs in his contract after say year 2 or 3 if they have to do this all over again to potentially keep him on the roster

1 minute ago, beckham15 said:

You have to wonder if the Sox are any damn good come 2020 and manny has opt outs in his contract after say year 2 or 3 if they have to do this all over again to potentially keep him on the roster

I’d be shocked if opt outs before the conclusion of year 4 at the earliest are on the table. 

2 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

I hope they have confirmation that Manny will sign with the Sox if they sign this guy because if they sign him and Manny doesn't sign with us then Hahn is going to look really stupid.

Hahn did say he had to be creative in these deals, this is probably his idea of creative

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

So the one thing that does worry me is this is the White Sox we are talking about. I’d be lying if I said there isn’t a part of me thinking this is a rash move by the Sox, they don’t feel like they are in the drivers seat so they are pulling out last ditch efforts to try and help. Or they think they don’t need to offer the top bid because they have his buddies. 

I don’t think that’s the case, but it also wouldn’t shock me. 

Please don't put these ideas into my head. This is the ultra cynical thought. Schtaaahhhp. 

LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA...I CAN'T HEAR YOU

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

I hope they have confirmation that Manny will sign with the Sox if they sign this guy because if they sign him and Manny doesn't sign with us then Hahn is going to look really stupid.

He upgraded the CF position, holy **** what is wrong with you people?

7 minutes ago, Tony said:

If Jon Jay helps 1% in getting Machado, Jon Jay can take Engel’s House if he wants. 

It’s shocking, but of course not shocking that people are getting upset over this.

Honestly, I just don’t see why anyone would care about this.  Engel is not a major league regular, Cordell has lost most of his prospect status, and Leury is semi-interesting but is made of glass and hasn’t done enough to be handed a job.  Jay is probably more of a 4th OF at this point, but he’ll come cheap and may be better than our current internal options in CF.  Ultimately this all about appeasing Machado, but for a couple million bucks he wouldn’t be a terrible addition on his own merits.

• Like 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Sox Sign Jon Jay; 1 year/$4 mil, Pending Physical
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Tony unpinned this topic