Who's Got Options?

ChiSox59

With the Jay news, the OF of miscast characters becomes a bit more crowded.  It's been asked a few times who on the 40 man has options and who doesn't, so I will summarize.

Out of Options; potentially at risk of not making opening day roster

Yolmer Sanchez (not really at risk)

Jose Rondon

Leury Garcia

Manny Banuelos

Juan Minaya

Group with Options Remaining; potentially at risk (admittedly varying degrees) of not making opening day roster

Daniel Palka (1)

Adam Engel (2)

Charlie Tilson (1)

Nicky Delmonico (3!)

Ryan Cordell (1)

Caleb Frare (3)

Ian Hamilton (3)

Dylan Covey (2)

Carson Fulmer (1)

Thyago Vieria (1)

Aaron Bummer (2)

Jose Ruiz (2)

Ryan Burr (3)

James McCann (3)

Information complied from https://www.rosterresource.com/mlb-chicago-white-sox/ which I would definitely recommend pinning.  It has a ton of great info. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Main takeaway here is the Engel, Palka and Delmonico can all be shipped to Charlotte without the risk of losing them.  When the OF gets a bit crowded when Eloy arrives (or if another OF is signed), 1 or 2 of these guys can go down to Charlotte and get everyday at bats until their name is called again.  

4 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Main takeaway here is the Engel, Palka and Delmonico can all be shipped to Charlotte without the risk of losing them.  When the OF gets a bit crowded when Eloy arrives (or if another OF is signed), 1 or 2 of these guys can go down to Charlotte and get everyday at bats until their name is called again.  

This also guarantees that even if another OF was signed, one of them makes the opening day roster and probably starts for 2 weeks.

11 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

Agree on Rondon.  If we don't sign Machado and have another semi tank year why not let him try 3b.  A little concerned it was his first year with power.  Either developed or something else

I too would like to keep Rondon around.  I think the fact that he doesn't have an option gives him a decent chance of sticking.  The Sox talked about getting him some OF playing time in winter ball - seems that was more talk than action.  He has primarily played 3B in winter ball - 208 innings at 3B, 11 at 2B, 19 in LF, 1 in CF, and 22 at SS.  

He's also been pretty dreadful with the bat in winter ball.  119 PA, .213/.269/.315 slashline - 2 homers, 5 doubles, 15 RBI, 0 steals, 8/18 BB/K ratio.