Sox could chase Moustakas If MM goes elsewhere

southsider2k5

5 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

What’s his market like this year? I’d have no problem with a 1 year deal, maybe 2 if the price is right. Anything beyond 2 years would anger me 

Doesn’t just saying any of those words you typed make you angry though?

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

That's not really fair, he's not a bad player, if your team has a gaping hole at 3b he's a solid player and he can probably DH and play 1b sometimes and be a pretty good 5th or 6th hitter. Out of last year's playoff teams he'd dramatically outperform what Boston got at 3b for example, due to injury in no small part. If someone like the Angels wanted to keep trying to win next year, he'd be a huge upgrade at that position. 

The problem is - he's not all that much better than Yolmer. Going from Engel and Yolmer to Jay and Moustakas might well have been enough for us to get to 63 wins last year.

Yolmer always intrigues me. He hit 2 440ft.+ HR's last year.  Would love to see if he could hit more bombs but I doubt he ever gets the chance. Only shot he has again is no Machado or playing regularly at 2nd base while Moncada moves to CF. Don't see that happening.

As far as him being the equal of Moustakas  we could say that but in an odd kind of way. Both pretty much the same WAR but Yolmer gets his WAR from fielding and base running mostly while Moustakas gets his from more HR's, higher SLG, OPS , OPS+ .

22 minutes ago, bmags said:

I’d much rather just roll with Rondon.

Are you somehow connected to his agency? This must be the 100th time that I've seen Rondon pushed as a candidate for more regular playing time. 

Which is about as often as AJ Pollock's name is misspelled, coincidentally.

Edited by caulfield12

14 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

This has the makings of a much improved 76 win team!

Are you making some kind of point ? Isn't a 14 game improvement pretty good ? Would you rather we be at 62 again ? Is gradual improvement not part of the plan in your mind ? Are we going to make some kind of magical leap from 62 wins to 90 one year ? Clue me in to how your mind is functioning.

20 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Are you making some kind of point ? Isn't a 14 game improvement pretty good ? Would you rather we be at 62 again ? Is gradual improvement not part of the plan in your mind ? Are we going to make some kind of magical leap from 62 wins to 90 one year ? Clue me in to how your mind is functioning.

I can’t speak for Greensox, but my problem is not the potential 14 game improvement but the roster itself. Are we excited because this is the start of a potential White Sox dynasty and these players will be working together for many years? Or (as I see it) we’d be assembling together various veteran players and calling it progress under a false premise of improvement. Especially if Moustakas is just here to waste time for two years. Wasn’t this how Hahn went about assembling teams every year prior to the rebuild? That doesn’t excite me. I believe Balta has termed this the “Hahn Special”

Edited by Flash Tizzle

26 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

I can’t speak for Greensox, but my problem is not the potential 14 game improvement but the roster itself. Are we excited because this is the start of a potential White Sox dynasty and these players will be working together for many years? Or (as I see it) we’d be assembling together various veteran players and calling it progress under a false premise of improvement. Wasn’t this how Hahn went about assembling teams every year prior to the rebuild? I believe Balta has termed this the “Hahn Special”

If you'd like to look at it that way that's fine. Just guessing if he were added (and I don't think he will be) It should be only a 1 year contract.

I like all the rest truly want the other MM . In lieu of that I'd expect pursuit of Arenado or Rendon next year, Surprisingly I have seen neither mentioned as a reason for not wanting Moustakas which makes a lot more sense than anything else and also why I am pretty sure he won't be signing with the Sox unless it is for just 1 year and we don't get Machado.

He isn't that old (2019 is age 30 season) has performed pretty well the last 2 years . He has been an All-Star 2 of the last 4 years and played on a World Series winner.

He's no Machado, Arenado or even a Rendon (who will be 31 when he becomes a FA next year) but he's neither old nor a bad player.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

49 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Probably because we could look back at records and see the Cubs, Astros of maybe even Mets making huge one year improvements.

If it's mostly on the backs of 5-6 key youngsters...that would be great, we'd all be ecstatic.  If it was mostly due to the bullpen picking up 5-7 more wins somehow and particularly due to veterans who were not part of the long-term plan, it's not going to be sustainable...UNLESS those graduating prospects hit the ground ready to play, and Kopech makes a bigger impact than can safely be projected for him the following season.

Of course, the other factor is the prospect/s we get in return when/if we decide to flip some of them...Rodon being perhaps the most important in terms of whether he gets traded early or we hold onto him into 2020/21.

Edited by caulfield12

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Probably because we could look back at records and see the Cubs, Astros of maybe even Mets making huge one year improvements.

If it's mostly on the backs of 5-6 key youngsters...that would be great, we'd all be ecstatic.  If it was mostly due to the bullpen picking up 5-7 more wins somehow and particularly due to veterans who were not part of the long-term plan, it's not going to be sustainable...UNLESS those graduating prospects hit the ground ready to play, and Kopech makes a bigger impact than can safely be projected for him the following season.

Of course, the other factor is the prospect/s we get in return when/if we decide to flip some of them...Rodon being perhaps the most important in terms of whether he gets traded early we hold into him into 2020/21.

I'm surprised at you. Imagine all the Greeks living close to Guaranteed Rate Field coming to Sox games and rooting for Moooooose ! Do the Sox have a Greek Heritage Night yet ? This demographic could be a gold mine . ;)

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm surprised at you. Imagine all the Greeks living close to Guaranteed Rate Field coming to Sox games and rooting for Moooooose ! Do the Sox have a Greek Heritage Night yet ? This demographic could be a gold mine . ;)

I think I would try a Japanese player FIRST...but Moustakas would be good for hawking gyros (I guess that's technically Middle Eastern, but close enough).

13 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

That's not really fair, he's not a bad player, if your team has a gaping hole at 3b he's a solid player and he can probably DH and play 1b sometimes and be a pretty good 5th or 6th hitter. Out of last year's playoff teams he'd dramatically outperform what Boston got at 3b for example, due to injury in no small part. If someone like the Angels wanted to keep trying to win next year, he'd be a huge upgrade at that position. 

The problem is - he's not all that much better than Yolmer. Going from Engel and Yolmer to Jay and Moustakas might well have been enough for us to get to 63 wins last year.

It was sarcasm. He would be unexciting but fine depending on the the contract.

Edited by ptatc