Kyler Murray to NFL?

bmags

I somehow always ignored that the As get NO compensation since he technically signed. Starting to wonder if this was just a brilliant salary cutting move to avoid paying a first rounder. 

Wow that was a risky move. I wonder if As can request ... some form of pick compensation?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, bmags said:

I somehow always ignored that the As get NO compensation since he technically signed. Starting to wonder if this was just a brilliant salary cutting move to avoid paying a first rounder. 

Wow that was a risky move. I wonder if As can request ... some form of pick compensation?

From what I've read, no compensation other than his signing bonus back.

55 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think that's all easy to say now in hindsight, but he wasn't on any Heisman Trophy lists in the preseason really.  In August, the thought of him being a 1st or 2nd round NFL draft pick was crazy, which was the only way he would even think of passing up that guaranteed signing bonus.  But life comes at ya fast.

Just now, LittleHurt05 said:

I think that's all easy to say now in hindsight, but he wasn't on any Heisman Trophy lists in the preseason really.  In August, the thought of him being a 1st or 2nd round NFL draft pick was crazy, which was the only way he would even think of passing up that guaranteed signing bonus.  But life comes at ya fast.

Was it though? Going into the draft everybody though he could be a comp round selection worth risk but the big narrative was nobody knowing if he’d choose baseball.

23 minutes ago, bmags said:

Was it though? Going into the draft everybody though he could be a comp round selection worth risk but the big narrative was nobody knowing if he’d choose baseball.

I don't remember the narrative before the MLB draft, I just remember all the talk at the beginning of the college football season.  Then it sounded like he was a lock to play baseball given the money, but nobody knew he would win the Heisman a few months later.

He signed for something north of $4 Million.  He got a check for half, and the other half is due March 1st.  Spring Training report date is approx. mid Feb.  It's not a big deal if he misses the NFL Combine.  Draft is end of April.  He can play minor league baseball for 2-3 months and keep everyone guessing.  Talk show hosts will love it.

22 minutes ago, oldsox said:

He signed for something north of $4 Million.  He got a check for half, and the other half is due March 1st.  Spring Training report date is approx. mid Feb.  It's not a big deal if he misses the NFL Combine.  Draft is end of April.  He can play minor league baseball for 2-3 months and keep everyone guessing.  Talk show hosts will love it.

If he plays baseball at all before draft it would mean he's playing baseball. While the team building process in baseball takes many forms, draft picks are too valuable in today's nfl to take the risk that the As just made.

3 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

While Murray would make more in the NFL, I truly don't see him being successful for an extended period of time there while I do see him being more successful with baseball

He was a pretty big wild card in baseball too though. 

While Murray would make more in the NFL, I truly don't see him being successful for an extended period of time there while I do see him being more successful with baseball

Always get your money first. His first NFL contract is going to be way more than $4mil guaranteed. Even if he sucks and is out of the NFL in 2 years he can then go back to baseball.

From what I've read, Murray is not considered a QB in the NFL because he's 5-9. NFL teams view him as a WR/RS. He probably isn't a 1st rounder and he probably goes somewhere in round 3 or later,  if at all. If all of this is true, he'd make more money in baseball(See: Samardzija) and the chances of him not reporting to A's minor league camp in February is slim to none. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 hours ago, bmags said:

If he plays baseball at all before draft it would mean he's playing baseball. While the team building process in baseball takes many forms, draft picks are too valuable in today's nfl to take the risk that the As just made.

That's not necessarily true. He may just do it as a possible way into trying to do both. Boras would love that. I think Russell Wilson played some MiLB prior to the draft I believe.

Depends on where he is drafted.

9 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

From what I've read, Murray is not considered a QB in the NFL because he's 5-9. NFL teams view him as a WR/RS. He probably isn't a 1st rounder and he probably goes somewhere in round 3 or later,  if at all. If all of this is true, he'd make more money in baseball(See: Samardzija) and the chances of him not reporting to A's minor league camp in February is slim to none. 

There was an article on NFL.com suggesting the cardinals may trade Rosen and take Murray with the #1 pick.

15 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Always get your money first. His first NFL contract is going to be way more than $4mil guaranteed. Even if he sucks and is out of the NFL in 2 years he can then go back to baseball.

yep. If he is projected first round NFL, take it. It's guaranteed money. In MLB he is only guaranteed the 4 milllion.

7 minutes ago, ptatc said:

That's not necessarily true. He may just do it as a possible way into trying to do both. Boras would love that. I think Russell Wilson played some MiLB prior to the draft I believe.

And he was selected in the third round, which really starts to complicate the money proposition. For him to guarantee he would make more in NFL, he would need to be drafted in first round/early second. For that to happen I would have a hard time seeing a team spending that capital when it's not clear he will join team.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

And he was selected in the third round, which really starts to complicate the money proposition. For him to guarantee he would make more in NFL, he would need to be drafted in first round/early second. For that to happen I would have a hard time seeing a team spending that capital when it's not clear he will join team.

It also depends on where he thinks he will be drafted. If no one tells him they are drafting him in the first round, it would benefit him to keep his options open and play MiLB.

38 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

That was the thinking about 2 months ago.  He's suddenly being talked about as a top 10 pick.  That's why everything has changed.

Such a natural decision for Murray though. Get to walk right into an NFL starting job making the same money he would have in baseball (inb4 guaranteed money--NOBODY gives up on first-round QB's, he'll see his entire rookie contract) but he wont have to deal with the minors riding the bus and all that bullshit. QB's are so protected in the NFL too, the risk of serious lasting injury is pretty low.

8 minutes ago, KiwiSox said:

Such a natural decision for Murray though. Get to walk right into an NFL starting job making the same money he would have in baseball (inb4 guaranteed money--NOBODY gives up on first-round QB's, he'll see his entire rookie contract) but he wont have to deal with the minors riding the bus and all that bullshit. QB's are so protected in the NFL too, the risk of serious lasting injury is pretty low.

It's really not bad, if you have the money to afford a decent place to stay and food which he would. It's the minimum bonus guys that have the issues.