Kyler Murray to NFL?

bmags

Just now, ptatc said:

It's really not bad, if you have the money to afford a decent place to stay and food which he would. It's the minimum bonus guys that have the issues.

Yea but compared to the NFL...I mean the status that comes with being a first-round pick vs being a minor league baseball player. Its not even close.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, KiwiSox said:

Yea but compared to the NFL...I mean the status that comes with being a first-round pick vs being a minor league baseball player. Its not even close.

No doubt. You dont have to  work on playbooks, endless film sessions, extra time with receivers or get hit though.

Just now, ptatc said:

No doubt. You dont have to  work on playbooks, endless film sessions, extra time with receivers or get hit though.

That is true. QB hours are about on par with coaches hours. I think guys are more prepared for that now than they were even five or six years ago but still doesn't make it any less of a burden.

34 minutes ago, KiwiSox said:

That is true. QB hours are about on par with coaches hours. I think guys are more prepared for that now than they were even five or six years ago but still doesn't make it any less of a burden.

absolutely.

1 hour ago, Jake said:

I think this will make MLB teams much less likely to reach agreements like this ever again.

I agree, although Murray probably wouldn't have signed at all with that agreement and the As gambled on the risk.

Still don't quite understand that risk though altough the As tend to draft risky high upside guys in the first round gambling for a star they can't afford to sign and then go with safer, lower ceiling guys in later rounds.

1 hour ago, Jake said:

I think this will make MLB teams much less likely to reach agreements like this ever again.

I agree, although Murray probably wouldn't have signed at all with that agreement and the As gambled on the risk.

Still don't quite understand that risk though altough the As tend to draft risky high upside guys in the first round gambling for a star they can't afford to sign and then go with safer, lower ceiling guys in later rounds.

Btw i think it is kinda unfair that the As don't get another pick while teams that lowball guys after seeing the physical (astros with aiken, braves with stewart) get another pick.

It is not the As fault Murray wants to go to nfl and this incentivises teams to not risk signing high level two sport athletes which is bad for the quality or the game.

On 1/10/2019 at 1:04 PM, Jack Parkman said:

From what I've read, Murray is not considered a QB in the NFL because he's 5-9. NFL teams view him as a WR/RS. He probably isn't a 1st rounder and he probably goes somewhere in round 3 or later,  if at all. If all of this is true, he'd make more money in baseball(See: Samardzija) and the chances of him not reporting to A's minor league camp in February is slim to none. 

You make more money in football sooner. If he sticks with baseball, you're talking minor league salary for a couple years, 3-4 years of near MLB minimum salary, and then arbitration. And that's only if everything works out for him.

I think this situation is very reflective of MLB's current labor issues.  While Murray is a top 10 pick, he's lucky to have been offered the $4 million signing bonus.  After that, a player in his position probably won't earn a million dollar salary until his 3rd or 4th season in the majors and that's after how many years it takes him to move through the minor leagues.  It's so slanted in favor of the teams and it's why they have such little incentive to sign  older free agents, when they have so much control over these younger player.  it's also why players are so quick to sign those early team-friendly extensions, because they have to wait to so long to get paid, which makes it riskier and riskier.

10 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Wasn't he a reach going in the top 10 as well? Odd pick by OAK, not paying off

On Murray, let him chase his money because there's not a shot in hell he can play QB at the NFL level

Yeah, I think he was projected for somewhere in the late 1st RD. But he was also projected to be like a 2nd or 3rd RD pick in the NFL, not a Heisman winner and top 10 NFL pick. 

Even at 5-9”, if a team can spread the field and get him out in the open, he won’t have nearly as many problems seeing over his OL.

He’s not the typical drop back passer, but he does have a very strong and accurate arm...he big concern I would have is him getting banged up exposing him to so many running situations.   With OU, he developed an excellent knack for when to go sliding or out of bounds, so he didnt take many huge hits at all.

As long as the team adjusts the offense for his skill set, he should be fine.   He’s not quite as fast as Michael Vick, but he’s 10x the passer.  Those are the most important assets, both accuracy and strength of arm.

The other thing is he sat so long behind Mayfield...he really loves being the leader of the team, and he also fared pretty well against Alabama’s NFL linemen for 3/4ths of that game, plus their best WR in Marquise Brown was not even close to 100%.

I would go the other way and try baseball first, at least for 2019.  He might not be good enough, and, if so, it would show pretty quickly.  Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe he played 2 years of college ball.  First year, he didn't hit.  Second year, last year, he hit in the .290's with 12 or so homers and a lot of speed.  I am often amazed how tough pro baseball is.  Every year there are players drafted who hit really well in college and really struggle as soon as they go pro, even in low minors.  If he plays baseball this year and doesn't do well, missing one year of football won't hurt him.  Losing a year or three of baseball would really set him back if he plays football in 2019-20.

51 minutes ago, oldsox said:

I would go the other way and try baseball first, at least for 2019.  He might not be good enough, and, if so, it would show pretty quickly.  Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe he played 2 years of college ball.  First year, he didn't hit.  Second year, last year, he hit in the .290's with 12 or so homers and a lot of speed.  I am often amazed how tough pro baseball is.  Every year there are players drafted who hit really well in college and really struggle as soon as they go pro, even in low minors.  If he plays baseball this year and doesn't do well, missing one year of football won't hurt him.  Losing a year or three of baseball would really set him back if he plays football in 2019-20.

Really wonder how he projects in both football and baseball

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Even at 5-9”, if a team can spread the field and get him out in the open, he won’t have nearly as many problems seeing over his OL.

He’s not the typical drop back passer, but he does have a very strong and accurate arm...he big concern I would have is him getting banged up exposing him to so many running situations.   With OU, he developed an excellent knack for when to go sliding or out of bounds, so he didnt take many huge hits at all.

As long as the team adjusts the offense for his skill set, he should be fine.   He’s not quite as fast as Michael Vick, but he’s 10x the passer.  Those are the most important assets, both accuracy and strength of arm.

The other thing is he sat so long behind Mayfield...he really loves being the leader of the team, and he also fared pretty well against Alabama’s NFL linemen for 3/4ths of that game, plus their best WR in Marquise Brown was not even close to 100%.

I doubt any team will have the confidence to do this...but an interesting NFL strategy these days would be to draft a Deshaun Watson or a Lamar Jackson or even a Mitch Trubisky, throw them out there for 4-5 years on their rookie deal to both be a running QB and to be beaten up, maybe even use the franchise tag for a 6th year, but expect that physically they won't last and then cut bait and move on to another rookie. With the value of a QB on a rookie deal, that's something you could at least ponder for Murray.

47 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Really wonder how he projects in both football and baseball

I think the thing is he is pretty raw in both. Much more developed in football. He was a big gamble in baseball, he basically came on during one spring, but didn't have much of a track record.

2 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Would it make sense for Murray to play football, cash in on his guaranteed money and if it doesn't pan out, play in the minors for 3-4 years at the minimum and give MLB a shot?

See, Tebow, Tim.

52 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I doubt any team will have the confidence to do this...but an interesting NFL strategy these days would be to draft a Deshaun Watson or a Lamar Jackson or even a Mitch Trubisky, throw them out there for 4-5 years on their rookie deal to both be a running QB and to be beaten up, maybe even use the franchise tag for a 6th year, but expect that physically they won't last and then cut bait and move on to another rookie. With the value of a QB on a rookie deal, that's something you could at least ponder for Murray.

The problem with this scenario is that if it's successful, the team will not draft high enough to continually draft that level of QB. There will be a lot of draft capital used to trade up each time they want to acquire the QB of that caliber. The only one drafted low enough to do this was Jackson and I'm not convinced he will lead them anywhere.

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

The problem with this scenario is that if it's successful, the team will not draft high enough to continually draft that level of QB. There will be a lot of draft capital used to trade up each time they want to acquire the QB of that caliber. The only one drafted low enough to do this was Jackson and I'm not convinced he will lead them anywhere.

Also that only takes into account the buildup of abuse and not the fact that he will likely miss time each season and thus you would need a good backup that you will likely have to pay for at which point it kind of defeats the purpose of having a QB on a rookie deal. 

7 hours ago, oldsox said:

After sitting in his transfer year from A&M and then for most of the two years behind Mayfield, he needs the football reps as much if he’s going to go that route.