winter ball stats??

soxfan420

Glad D'Angelo is hitting well.

We need him.

I see Jose V is playing and is hitting .222 with over 100 at bats.

Hope he isn't over the hill.

I still like our infield of Crede, Jose V, Jimenez and Konerko.

Hopefully Crede will continue on last year's success, Valentin will have a careeryear, and Jimenez will hit .300 and draw some walks.

Don't you all agree our season hinges on Frank.

The only way we're gonna do anything of note is if h excels, correct?

Originally posted by greg775

Don't you all agree our season hinges on Frank.

The only way we're gonna do anything of note is if h excels, correct?

No....starting pitching. If it is real good, like all pitch very well, then we will win a lot of games and probably take the division. If it is like last year or worse than last year, we will be a .500 team or worse. I assume it will be somewhere in the middle and we will win 85-90 games. The bullpen will be good, the lineup will be good....it's the starting pitching that is, essentially, our hinge.

Im also glad to see DJ doing well. Hes going to be our leadoff hitter next year barring any big signings. Id say he could hit .280 with 100 runs scored.

As for Borchard, he didnt look that hot last year and since he doesnt have the range of a CF, all hed be able to do is replace El Caballo in left. And after Carlos' past year Im not sure Id want that. Do yall realize that Lee was one of 13 pros to have atleast 80 RBIs and more walks than strikeouts? He was. I would glady trade Carlos to get a Colon or a Vazquez but to replace him with a youngster who hit .211 in limited action no way. Borchard has a bright future but it aint here yet...

Jim Edmonds has no range? Are you insane? He gets everything that comes anywhere near him! Hes got tremendous range! Borchard cant play center, plain and simple.

And didnt Ryan Leaf have no ceiling to what he can do? And Ben McDonald? Werent they limitless at times in the past? Where are they now? So far, Joe Borchard has a .211 career BA with 2 HRs and 5 RBIs. He hasnt shown us anything yet, while Jiminez, who was never as highly touted as JB, has. Fine, scouts say JBs a star but he hasnt done anything worthy of stardom yet.

Originally posted by theoldroman

Jim Edmonds has no range? Are you insane? He gets everything that comes anywhere near him! Hes got tremendous range! Borchard cant play center, plain and simple.

And didnt Ryan Leaf have no ceiling to what he can do? And Ben McDonald? Werent they limitless at times in the past? Where are they now? So far, Joe Borchard has a .211 career BA with 2 HRs and 5 RBIs. He hasnt shown us anything yet, while Jiminez, who was never as highly touted as JB, has. Fine, scouts say JBs a star but he hasnt done anything worthy of stardom yet.

Tell me....have you ever seen Borchard play? The only person that I know could have seen him play is HSC, and she isn't on right now.

From just looking at Jim Edmonds...you can't say he's got good range. But one thing he does do is get incredible jumps on balls hit at him and can get to balls that way. Do you know personally that Joe gets s***ty jumps on balls and couldn't play CF? He's done it at every other level, and if he hustles as much as Rowand does in CF, than he could be a good CF...nothing special, but one that makes the routine plays and throws the ball with authority. Just because he's a big guy doesn't mean he can't play CF...kind of like football. Just because you are a smaller guy doesn't mean you can't play D-line or that you can't play O-line....or in basketball, just because you're big doesn't mean you can't play guard...hell, look at Magic Johnson....6'9'' and he was a guard. Guys that are 6'9'' aren't supposed to be guards. Or Dennis Rodman....guys that are 6'7'' are not supposed to be rebounding champions, but he was, wasn't he? Don't judge someone on looks alone...maybe he can only play LF or, more likely, RF(because of his arm), but never rule out the possibility of someone.

Also, there are a few guys here and there who flop....there aren't many though. Many, many guys are overhyped....but when someone is known as a gem, and that their ceiling is no where to be found, than most of the time they are not wrong. What about Frank Thomas...they weren't wrong with him...or Paul Konerko, or SamME even....I read a magazine article from about 1991 that said that if Sammy could hit the ball consistently and not miss so many pitches that he could be something great someday.....jeez, how odd does that sound?

And about Jimenez showing more promise than Borchard...think that could be, in part, due to the fact that Jimenez has played in the big leagues about 2 years now and Borchard has only been in pro ball(not the MLB) 2 years combined....so Jimenez has just a little more experience. Jimenez is not a prospect anymore...he's just a player who hasn't reached his full potential.

Uh, yeah actually, I have seen JB play at Norfolk during his stay with Charlotte. He went 1-4 with 3 Ks I believe. Thats not too impressive.

Honestly, I was about to mention Thomas in my previous post. We thought he had potential but the other teams laughed in our face for taking him so high. Well, now that hes almost a sure HOF whos laughing now?

As for the original topic tho, I dont think JBs gonna flop, I just think he needs more time. If he can play center, great, but not left, not this year. Lee is gonna have a career year, I can feel it. JB should be called up late in the year to play center and maybe hell start here in 2004.

Originally posted by theoldroman So far, Joe Borchard has a .211 career BA with 2 HRs and 5 RBIs. He hasnt shown us anything yet, while Jiminez, who was never as highly touted as JB, has.

How many ML games did Borchard start last year? Then, how many games was Borchard a late-inning replacement? He was with the ML Organization how long last season? A month? A month-and-one-half tops? Same thing with Jimenez. But, since Jimenez had a little bit more success in his month at the ML level, a month that had Jimenez starting and playing nearly the complete and every game either at 2B or SS because KW traded for and got raped on the Durham deal, you're ready to declare Jimenez a star and Borchard a stiff? You saw Borchard play one game (I assume) because you stated you saw him bat 4 times, but because he struck out 3 of the 4 times, all the scouts are wrong? And, outside of a perceived lack of range after watching Borchard play one game (UGH!), what other reasons do you have to conclude that there is no way JB could play CF? Because of his size? Please.

Guest hotsoxchick1

oh i see you all are talking about one of my favorite subjects... joey boy......to you roman... jb will not be a flop.....ive seen him play quite a bit since we signed him (more than 4 at bats thats for sure)....i think he does do very good at cf...hes definately got the arm for it......no hes not a crasher into the walls and he doesnt do any ballerina steps...no showboating about him really...... but he does hustle and get the ball and then get it back into the infield (where it matters most)... for the outs, or to keep runners staying put anyhow...hell at least he doesnt lose the ball in the lights or the sun like your hero, dumbass....lol.....yeah his hitting needs a bit of spit and polish but it will come........i seriously think if he had more exposure to major pitching as opposed to the same old s*** down in the minors he would be a better hitter........his time will come..and he will produce.....the scouts were not wrong on this one..........

Originally posted by hotsoxchick1

oh i see you all are talking about one of my favorite subjects... joey boy......to you roman... jb will not be a flop.....ive seen him play quite a bit since we signed him (more than 4 at bats thats for sure)....i think he does do very good at cf...hes definately got the arm for it......no hes not a crasher into the walls and he doesnt do any ballerina steps...no showboating about him really...... but he does hustle and get the ball and then get it back into the infield (where it matters most)... for the outs, or to keep runners staying put anyhow...hell at least he doesnt lose the ball in the lights or the sun like your hero, dumbass....lol.....yeah his hitting needs a bit of spit and polish but it will come........i seriously think if he had more exposure to major pitching as opposed to the same old s*** down in the minors he would be a better hitter........his time will come..and he will produce.....the scouts were not wrong on this one..........

I never said JB will be a flop, soxfan said that. I just said he wasnt ready yet. And when ya hit .211 you probably do need more time. But if JB does flop I honestly wont care. Im perfectly content with Carlos in left and Rowand should be a great CF. If he does show up, fine, I just dont know where to put him. He sure aint kicking Carlos out.

Guest hotsoxchick1

ok roman so 420 said it....shoot me for remembering it wrong..lol... anyhow, how long will you be content with lee droping balls out there in left? about as long as you were so sure that crede will take a big nose dive right??? as long as you were backing up kw there with his ever move... as long as the moon and sun are in perfect alignment lee will never amount to anything in left field... he cant catch for s***...talk about no range.....his hitting is spotty.....and i dont see a place for him much longer on this team if we stick to kw's plan of staying forever young......there will always be someone better, faster, and younger who can actually catch a ball and run bases without getting tagged out.........joey b will be that guy.............