Sign in to follow this  
BrianAnderson

Least Favorite Sox 3rd baseman over last decade

Who is your LEAST favorite 3rd baseman over the last decade?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. It's been quite the list over the past decade... let's pray that we have one name etched in stone for the next decade (these are all opening day starters)

• Yolmer Sanchez (2018)
    • Todd Frazier (2017&2016)
    • Conor Gillaspie (2014&2015)
    • Jeff Keppinger (2013)
    • Bret Morel (2011&12)
    • Marek Teahen (2010)
    • Josh Fields (2009)

Just to get our mind off the Machado signing for a few minutes, wanted to go back in time and ask who was your least favorite 3rd baseman over the past decade. It's quite the list...... II was going to do it the other way around, but Frazier would likely win in a landslide with some competition from Yolmer maybe.

Mark Teahen and Keppinger are definitely tied for first. Yolmer and Frazier should each get 0 votes.

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Like 3

Keppinger for me. He came off of such a good year with the Rays and I thought it was a good, fairly cheap signing at the time. He then proceeded to be one of the worst players in the league the next year. Nothing against him personally, it just didn't work out.

If I'm including "guy who gave me ulcers at 3B but they really seemed to genuinely think he could play 3B because they used him there for at least several games until they found out how much he sucked" --> Wilson Betemit 

1 minute ago, RTC said:

If I'm including "guy who gave me ulcers at 3B but they really seemed to genuinely think he could play 3B because they used him there for at least several games until they found out how much he sucked" --> Wilson Betemit 

Oh wow. Hard to argue against this. I forgot all about Betemit. Good call!

Frazier was far from the worst, but he's my most hated. He was really lucky the Sox were bad those two years, because he didn't get the hatred he rightfully deserved. The guy was a douche, he was awful with the Sox, tanking his trade value, then started tearing it up with he went to the Yankees. F him.

2 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

Oh wow. Hard to argue against this. I forgot all about Betemit. Good call!

I wish I could

Anybody who votes Yolmer should be insta-banned. Like, set up an algorithm where once you press vote, it says "You have been banned from posting at Soxtalk, you dumbass."

• Like 3

Truly remarkable how the sox pro scouting, which seemed to be among the best in the game throughout the 00s just seemed to fall off a cliff in 2009/10

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

Frazier was far from the worst, but he's my most hated. He was really lucky the Sox were bad those two years, because he didn't get the hatred he rightfully deserved. The guy was a douche, he was awful with the Sox, tanking his trade value, then started tearing it up with he went to the Yankees. F him.

Did we watch the same player?

• Love 1

11 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

Huh? He was basically a 3 fWAR player with the Sox and hit 40 homers his first year. Not that 3 fWAR is amazing but it's above average. And he had a 114 wRC+ with the Yankees versus a 105 with the Sox that year. Not that much different and definitely not "tearing it up" with the Yankees. 

• Like 2

Jeff Keppinger. He's the guy who was so bad that I had to mentally reevaluate how I thought about the free agent market. 

• Like 3

I voted for Teahen but honestly I thought Kevin Youkilis was a complete waste of time.

I unironically cannot differentiate the difference between Keppinger and Teahen. Like my mind has molded them together as the exact same person and have no memory of them separately.

2 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

I unironically cannot differentiate the difference between Keppinger and Teahen. Like my mind has molded them together as the exact same person and have no memory of them separately.

I know I watched a lot of 2011/12 sox baseball yet can't remember anything about Brent Morel except his head shape.

1 minute ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

I remember feeling kind of sorry for Teahan because he just seemed lost at the plate.  I never liked Keppinger because he just seemed like a jerk.  Of course, I am probably completely wrong about their personality in real life.  :)

18 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

For me Frazier gets a pass. The second half of his 2015 season was a huge red flag that many fans and the Sox FO ignored. For me this one is on the FO.

12 minutes ago, lasttriptotulsa said:

Huh? He was basically a 3 fWAR player with the Sox and hit 40 homers his first year. Not that 3 fWAR is amazing but it's above average. And he had a 114 wRC+ with the Yankees versus a 105 with the Sox that year. Not that much different and definitely not "tearing it up" with the Yankees. 

Maybe my memory was clouded by him getting worse as 2017 went on, seemingly tanking his trade value while it became apparent he was going to be traded.