Least Favorite Sox 3rd baseman over last decade

he gone.

Who is your LEAST favorite 3rd baseman over the last decade?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. It's been quite the list over the past decade... let's pray that we have one name etched in stone for the next decade (these are all opening day starters)

• Yolmer Sanchez (2018)
    • Todd Frazier (2017&2016)
    • Conor Gillaspie (2014&2015)
    • Jeff Keppinger (2013)
    • Bret Morel (2011&12)
    • Marek Teahen (2010)
    • Josh Fields (2009)

10 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

Maybe my memory was clouded by him getting worse as 2017 went on, seemingly tanking his trade value while it became apparent he was going to be traded.

But that's not true either. He played 81 games with the Sox that year. The first 40 he had a .182/.301/.343 slash with 5 HR and 19 RBI. The last 41 he had a .231/.355/.517 with 11 HR and and 25 RBI

I forgot if it was Bret Morel, Brent Morel or Brett Morel... he was that unimportant that I didn't go look up how it was actually spelled... but somehow started two opening days for us.

Above all us, this is why the Machado signing is so important to me personally. WE haven't filled this position in a DECADE. When you look at the pipeline it's basically Moncada maybe? (assuming Madrigal does well and plays 2b) ... or Burger?? but we all know in our hearts that's not likely. I'd love to have Machado for obvious reasons, but plugging a hole we cant seem to plug for the life of us would be awesome

12 minutes ago, lasttriptotulsa said:

But that's not true either. He played 81 games with the Sox that year. The first 40 he had a .182/.301/.343 slash with 5 HR and 19 RBI. The last 41 he had a .231/.355/.517 with 11 HR and and 25 RBI

Maybe I remember incorrectly. Maybe I was thinking of him getting off to an awful start that year, which he did. Looks like He started bad, hit pretty well in June, then cooled way off come July. It seemed at the time like he was getting ice cold right when he should be traded. And from the looks of it, he didn't do that well with the Yankees in the regular season either, but he had a pretty big postseason for them.

Morel. In the minors he was this high OBP with good defence and potential power bat and he came to Chicago and just, bleh.  I know Sox prospects tend to do that, but man even his glove wasn't anything to write about (mostly 0 DRS seasons, with one being +3 in 2011).

You could say the same for Fields (27HR/100wRC+ in 07) then flopped.

Keppinger was a let down too.

Probably should have kept Uribe and put him at third.

Just now, Whitesox27 said:

I wonder what would have happened if the Sox kept Gordon Beckham at 3rd base after his rookie year. That was by far the best season of his career from a offensive standpoint. Gotta wonder if having to learn 2nd base impacted his hitting.

Nah, it was all that slaying that ruined him.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

Nah, it was all that slaying that ruined him.  

I think a lot of it was also because he was rushed. He didn't have that many minor league at-bats before being called up if I remember correctly. I really thought he was going to be a star after his rookie year, it's a shame it didn't work out.

Just now, Whitesox27 said:

I think a lot of it was also because he was rushed. He didn't have that many minor league at-bats before being called up if I remember correctly. I really thought he was going to be a star after his rookie year, it's a shame it didn't work out.

This is so what a philosophical baseball question but if you thought he was going to be a star after his rookie year, why do you think he was rushed. Maybe he just couldn't make the adjustments at the MLB level. He had initial success at the level.

2 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

I think a lot of us thought he was gonna be our Jeter or something ridiculous like that.  Probably correct on coming up too early, he hadn't had the time to hone his approach.

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

This is so what a philosophical baseball question but if you thought he was going to be a star after his rookie year, why do you think he was rushed. Maybe he just couldn't make the adjustments at the MLB level. He had initial success at the level.

It's easy to look at a situation like this with the benefit of hindsight. At the time, calling him up when they did made sense because he did nothing but hit in the short time he was in the minors. But given that he ended up being a bust for lack of a better word, it's only fair to think about how his career would have fared if he had proper development time in the minors. He is the main reason why I don't want the Sox to move Anderson and Moncada to different positions. 

10 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

He's one I'm skeptical about the rushing mattering. Gordon never was really pushed to develop his swing, and since he was literally destroying minor league pitching at the time he was called up there's no sign that he'd have gone into a slump in the minors and really been forced to work on getting out of it. Dude was only in Charlotte for a bit but he went 14/30. He didn't really hit slumps until he got to the big leagues, and then when he started working on his swing everything just fell apart. It'd be like calling Eloy up last year - yeah it was fast, but he was simply better than the league he was in.