**2019 Water-cooler Thread**

Brian

Sopranos debuted 20 years ago this week. Crazy.

I remember being late to the party when my friends at SIU would watch it together. Over Winter break, I bought s1 and s2 on DVD and binged in one week and then caught up on s3. First TV show I ever bought on DVD.

Probably by fav show of all time. May have to do a rewatch this summer.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2019 at 5:34 PM, BigSqwert said:

Been binging The Expanse. Halfway through season 3 now and absolutely love it.  Each season is better than the previous.

I took a chance on the show when I was looking for something to watch.  I was hooked right away, and I agree that it got better as it went.  Thankfully Amazon picked it up after SyFy cancelled it.

I remember it being on when I was a kid but never religiously watched, but been binging The Wonder Years on Hulu while working from home. So great. Only music they changed was opening credits to a different version of the same song.

1 hour ago, Brian said:

I remember it being on when I was a kid but never religiously watched, but been binging The Wonder Years on Hulu while working from home. So great. Only music they changed was opening credits to a different version of the same song.

I got all the DVD sets and watched them all a couple of years ago. It's so much different watching the show now as an adult compared to watching it when I was a kid. 

First off, I never really realized how whiny Kevin was. Maybe I'm mis-remembering my own teen years but it seemed like every time he was in a situation where he actually had to work hard at something (a job, a chore, a school project, a sport) he did nothing but whine and complain about it. We think kids today are entitled but apparently its something that happens in pretty much every generation.

Another thing I noticed was how often he would jump in his car and simply take off somewhere else. Like the time he was supposed to go to work but instead drove up to "the lake" that was apparently a few hours away. Or the time he was supposed to go to the store for some fasteners to help his dad fix the gutters but instead took his friend to see his old girlfriend in a town 100 miles away. I guess that was more of a thing back in the 70's. Kids were allowed to pretty much do what they want and there were no cell phones or anything to keep a leash on them.

I also never realized how one-sided the Kevin/Winnie relationship was. He was completely infatuated with her (except for the numerous times he would hit on some other girl although he always went back to Winnie) but for the most part she was cold and distant with him. There were times where she said that she cared about him but in never seemed to show in her body language. Not sure if that was how the character was written or if it just came across that way in her acting. She was also really quick to get pissed and leave him at the drop of the hat. She never had a problem finding another guy to hang on either. I'd almost be interested to see the show from her POV. I remember being upset that they didn't end up together as adults but after watching it again, it makes sense that they didn't.

I was sad to see it go off the air when it did and missed it when I couldn't watch it anymore but looking back, it's probably good that it ended when it did. It probably could've gone on another year or two if they wanted but the story lines were starting to get a little lame and repetitive. Probably better that it ended a year too soon rather than a year too late like Rosanne did.

The past few nights I've been watching 'Valley of the Boom' on Nat Geo. It's a "docudrama" which is something I've never heard of. It's sort of a cross between a documentary where they are interviewing the real people in front of a camera but then they also have scenes where they have actors playing these real people.

It sort of reminds me of those crime shows or 'True Stories of the ER' where they have a re-enactment of certain scenes. Then only difference is that during the scenes, they break the 4th wall and talk directly to the viewer a lot.

It's set in the 1990's when the internet was first being introduced to the masses and the browser wars were taking place between Netscape, AOL and Microsoft. They reference a lot of websites that I've never even heard of like theglobe.com (which was apparently Facebook before Facebook) and sfgirl.com (which was apparently a blog before anyone knew what that word was).

It's interesting but I'm not sure I like the format. It's sometimes difficult to remember which actor is playing which real person.

18 minutes ago, Iwritecode said:

The past few nights I've been watching 'Valley of the Boom' on Nat Geo. It's a "docudrama" which is something I've never heard of. It's sort of a cross between a documentary where they are interviewing the real people in front of a camera but then they also have scenes where they have actors playing these real people.

It sort of reminds me of those crime shows or 'True Stories of the ER' where they have a re-enactment of certain scenes. Then only difference is that during the scenes, they break the 4th wall and talk directly to the viewer a lot.

It's set in the 1990's when the internet was first being introduced to the masses and the browser wars were taking place between Netscape, AOL and Microsoft. They reference a lot of websites that I've never even heard of like theglobe.com (which was apparently Facebook before Facebook) and sfgirl.com (which was apparently a blog before anyone knew what that word was).

It's interesting but I'm not sure I like the format. It's sometimes difficult to remember which actor is playing which real person.

Been watching as well, I think I appreciate the nostalgia more than I do the actual show. I was in high school during all that and remember trying the different tech on my little Apple Mac in my basement. 

I got in trouble because I didn't understand how the AOL billing was and wracked up like a $100 bill because they charged per hour at first.

1 hour ago, Iwritecode said:

NatGeo and History have done quite a few shows in this  format.

12 hours ago, Tony said:

Hulu one is slightly better as they interview Billy McFarland

What a douche 

From everything I have seen you might be in the minority. I enjoyed Netflix more but both documentaries gave different perspectives so both were worth the watch. Like you said McFarland really didn't give too much info in his interview

After watching Dark on Netflix last year, we've been looking for other foreign shows to binge.  We recently finished Killing Eve, which was great.  Also watched Trapped, an Icelandic crime thriller on Amazon.  Really good.  If you can get used to reading subtitles, I'd highly recommend it.  Just started Bodyguard on Netflix a few days ago.  Reminds me a bit of Homeland...very good.

2 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Peaky Blinders is tremendous, but I admit I do have to watch with subtitles on, especially whenever Tom Hardy is on screen.

Oh yeah I need subtitles on too. Some thick British accents on that show lol. Tom hardy's character is so hard to understand haha but he's so awesome