KLaw chat

southsider2k5

The couple of Sox bits

http://meadowparty.com/blog/2019/01/10/klawchat-1-10-19/

Ed
1:25
Who is someone in the White Sox minors besides Eloy to be excited about thia season?

Keith Law
1:26
Cease finished in AA; he could debut this year. Basabe or even Luis Gonzalez could surface too.

Jimmy
1:22
Would it be a stretch to see Madrigal in the majors this year?

Keith Law
1:22
No, but I think his ceiling is really low.

45 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

There is no way you wanted Larnach at #4 overall pre-draft. You are being influenced by his amazing CWS, which happened after the draft. 

Nope was saying it before draft. Watched a lot of OSU and thought Madrigal wasn’t one of their two best hitters. Pretty sure others in the 2018 draft thread will back me up on this.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Nope was saying it before draft. Watched a lot of OSU and thought Madrigal wasn’t one of their two best hitters. Pretty sure others in the 2018 draft thread will back me up on this.

I was in that thread, I just don't recall anyone saying we should reach nearly 20+ picks to take Larnach.

1 hour ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

There is no way you wanted Larnach at #4 overall pre-draft. You are being influenced by his amazing CWS, which happened after the draft. 

Fathom was on the Larnach bandwagon for weeks prior to the draft. I remember him saying he was hoping other teams hadn't caught on to him so the Sox can snagged him in round 2. That was before the CWS I believe as well. 

Edited by SoxAce

6 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Fathom was on the Larnach bandwagon for weeks prior to the draft. I remember him saying he was hoping other teams hadn't caught on to him so the Sox can snagged him in round 2. That was before the CWS I believe as well. 

I think we would have all been rioting if the Sox took Larnach at #4, but hey, we shall see. That would be a helluva job by Fathom if Larnach turns out to be the 4th best guy from that draft.

Wasn’t Mitchell the MVP of the CWS for LSU?  Or was that Todd Walker?

Highly doubt there’s much correlation to results there and professional success...to the point where one month of scouting I’ll supersede years of scouting.

Larnach seems pretty similar to Max Kepler in terms of upside.  Not the kind of guy you draft #3/4 in the first round.

I was strongly anti-Madrigal.  (I hope I am wrong.). I wanted Kelenic.  Therefore, the Mets trade really puzzled me.  My deepest fear is that Madrigal may maximize the skill set of and be the absolute best version of Darwin Barney.  But, with golf ball they use these days and his bat to ball skills, maybe he’s a 15 homer guy.

Madrigal and mize were the only 55s on the fangraphs board. Madrigal is unlikely to be the best player of this draft but considering floor AND ceiling he was seen as the number 2 guy of the draft behind maze.

He had no power last season but also had a wrist injury, scouts still see him as a 12-15 homer guy who hits 290-300 with good defense. That is basically howie kendrick with a better glove.

Btw kelenic isn't really seen as a future star either, it is more a balanced 5 tool set of average to slightly above tools.

If one of the hs guys is a star it is probably gorman who has done well in his first season with 17 homers but also comes with considerable risk (contact issues).