bmags

Dodgers Acquire Russell Martin

While it looks like Toronto chipping in, there is no offsetting contract sent back by dodgers. So adding some amount of money.

Just now, Tony said:

Bryce room? 

The return is minor leaguers though, so it’s still added salary

Dodgers adding more $, even if something small like $5M, doesn't seem like something a team that is in the hunt for Harper and trying to avoid the luxury tax would do. 

• Thanks 1

Martin due 20M this year so it will definitely be interesting to see how much $$ Toronto is eating. 

1 minute ago, bmags said:

The return is minor leaguers though, so it’s still added salary

I TOTALLY read the trade wrong, I thought the Dodgers were trading Martin to the Jays and the Jays were taking on most of the salary. 

Long week, haha. 

1 minute ago, daggins said:

One more bows out of the Realmuto race

Hey man says they are still in on him fwiw

I don’t see how the Dodgers can be a serious player for Harper. Even with cash coming with him this is going to put them even closer to the luxury tax.

Just now, Pal said:

Sign Machado, trade for Realmuto this weekend. That market is drying up.

The Sox are not trading for Realmuto.  It isn't happening.  They could have just signed Grandal if they wanted to add another catcher.  

This the Yankees and Dodgers both moving on from the whales.  They waited around to see if they could get something done, it didn't, and they are moving on.  The Cubs have also done nothing to show that they are in this either.  It is really feeling like Harper and Machado may well belong to Chicago and Philly.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

Hey man says they are still in on him fwiw

Could see Barnes be a final piece in a Realmuto deal. 3 prospects +Barnes as a filler so they have a veteran C.

Edit: just saw MLBtr article say exactly this.

Edited by soxfan2014

Today’s moves actually make me think Dodgers are in on Bryce. Martin is a cheaper alternative than Cervelli and Realmuto, and they were also long rumored to like LeMahieu

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Today’s moves actually make me think Dodgers are in on Bryce. Martin is a cheaper alternative than Cervelli and Realmuto, and they were also long rumored to like LeMahieu

Elaborate. Hard to follow this logic. 

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The Sox are not trading for Realmuto.  It isn't happening.  They could have just signed Grandal if they wanted to add another catcher.  

Why not? Nats, Mets, and probably the Dodgers have moved on. Bargaining power isn't what it was for him, especially now that hes down to 2 years of control. The Sox have the pieces, and if they land Machado, I would expect they will begin moving some of their assets for major league ready pieces. Either him or a top line SP would seem to be the move to make.

1 minute ago, Pal said:

Why not? Nats, Mets, and probably the Dodgers have moved on. Bargaining power isn't what it was for him, especially now that hes down to 2 years of control. The Sox have the pieces, and if they land Machado, I would expect they will begin moving some of their assets for major league ready pieces. Either him or a top line SP would seem to be the move to make.

Because the Sox aren't trading significant minor league assets for guys with 2 years of control.  If the Sox make moves like that, it will be a year from now.  If they wanted a catcher, they could have signed Grandal (and they wouldn't have signed McCann).  I am sure the Sox like Realmuto, but he doesn't fit the window at all. It isnt happening.  

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

This is wrong. Realmuto just got $5.9 mill in arb. No way Jays are paying down $14 mill of the $20 mill owned to Russell.

Edited by Pal

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Elaborate. Hard to follow this logic. 

The other guys would have cost more in terms of salary and/or assets.  They still have tons of flexibility to go after Bryce or Kluber.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

But they can still play Taylor or Kiki Gonzalez at second...plus LeMahieu’s road numbers are less than ideal.

Unless they offload Verdugo+ for Kluber or Bauer, it doesn’t make much sense in terms of need and financial risk vs. reward, aka opportunity cost.

Edited by caulfield12

4 hours ago, Pal said:

This is wrong. Realmuto just got $5.9 mill in arb. No way Jays are paying down $14 mill of the $20 mill owned to Russell.

The Blue Jays are actually sending $16.4M along with Russell. 

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

The Blue Jays are actually sending $16.4M along with Russell. 

Wow. I stand erected.