Dodgers Acquire Russell Martin

bmags

This the Yankees and Dodgers both moving on from the whales.  They waited around to see if they could get something done, it didn't, and they are moving on.  The Cubs have also done nothing to show that they are in this either.  It is really feeling like Harper and Machado may well belong to Chicago and Philly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Today’s moves actually make me think Dodgers are in on Bryce. Martin is a cheaper alternative than Cervelli and Realmuto, and they were also long rumored to like LeMahieu

Elaborate. Hard to follow this logic. 

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The Sox are not trading for Realmuto.  It isn't happening.  They could have just signed Grandal if they wanted to add another catcher.  

Why not? Nats, Mets, and probably the Dodgers have moved on. Bargaining power isn't what it was for him, especially now that hes down to 2 years of control. The Sox have the pieces, and if they land Machado, I would expect they will begin moving some of their assets for major league ready pieces. Either him or a top line SP would seem to be the move to make.

1 minute ago, Pal said:

Why not? Nats, Mets, and probably the Dodgers have moved on. Bargaining power isn't what it was for him, especially now that hes down to 2 years of control. The Sox have the pieces, and if they land Machado, I would expect they will begin moving some of their assets for major league ready pieces. Either him or a top line SP would seem to be the move to make.

Because the Sox aren't trading significant minor league assets for guys with 2 years of control.  If the Sox make moves like that, it will be a year from now.  If they wanted a catcher, they could have signed Grandal (and they wouldn't have signed McCann).  I am sure the Sox like Realmuto, but he doesn't fit the window at all. It isnt happening.  

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

Today’s moves actually make me think Dodgers are in on Bryce. Martin is a cheaper alternative than Cervelli and Realmuto, and they were also long rumored to like LeMahieu

This is wrong. Realmuto just got $5.9 mill in arb. No way Jays are paying down $14 mill of the $20 mill owned to Russell.

Edited by Pal

1 hour ago, fathom said:

But they can still play Taylor or Kiki Gonzalez at second...plus LeMahieu’s road numbers are less than ideal.

Unless they offload Verdugo+ for Kluber or Bauer, it doesn’t make much sense in terms of need and financial risk vs. reward, aka opportunity cost.

Edited by caulfield12