Rays to Sign Avi

DirtySox

11 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

I am not real good pleased with us not trying to keep Avi especially when I am pretty sure the Sox are going to have an open spot or two in the OF. I don’t see Delmonico or Palka being the answer 

That's a fair take. The question we should always be asking in 2017, 2018 and 2019 is "Does ______________ have a chance at being a valuable contributor on a playoff team?"

Now as much as Avi drove us as crazy as this Machado negotiation process I think we can all admit that he has a better chance of being a contributing member than a Delmonico, Cordell, Tilson, etc. He's probably somewhere around Palka's value, just a bit higher.   Avi, all things considered still has a chance to be a decent player.

That being said, I'm okay with letting him move on. It's a coin flip if I'd rather have Jay or Avi for the same price really.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

That's a fair take. The question we should always be asking in 2017, 2018 and 2019 is "Does ______________ have a chance at being a valuable contributor on a playoff team?"

Now as much as Avi drove us as crazy as this Machado negotiation process I think we can all admit that he has a better chance of being a contributing member than a Delmonico, Cordell, Tilson, etc. He's probably somewhere around Palka's value, just a bit higher.   Avi, all things considered still has a chance to be a decent player.

That being said, I'm okay with letting him move on. It's a coin flip if I'd rather have Jay or Avi for the same price really.

Avi garcia did not have a higher chance of contributing to a white sox playoff team than those other guys do because Avisail Garcia had only 1 year of control remaining. If Avisail Garcia had a JD Martinez caliber 50 HR year, he'd hit free agency next year and we might not be wanting to pay him 9 figures. Regardless of what he did next year, because his early career has taken so long to evolve and he's been so inconsistent, there was no way for him to contribute to the next white sox playoff team.

7 minutes ago, zenryan said:

I don’t know about plenty. He’s not taking over Gomez’s spot in RF. More of a DH vs LHP. 

Sure he will, unless he gets hurt.  Gomez has been going downhill for a while.  I don't even know if he is still on the 40 man at Tampa, but Avi will be.

Avi taking a beating here; I'll take the other side.

59 minutes ago, zenryan said:

I don’t know about plenty. He’s not taking over Gomez’s spot in RF. More of a DH vs LHP. 

Tommy Phan and Austin Meadows are getting the majority of AB's in the corners for the Rays. Avi will be battling for off day AB's and DH platoon with Choi most likely. 

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Avi garcia did not have a higher chance of contributing to a white sox playoff team than those other guys do because Avisail Garcia had only 1 year of control remaining. If Avisail Garcia had a JD Martinez caliber 50 HR year, he'd hit free agency next year and we might not be wanting to pay him 9 figures. Regardless of what he did next year, because his early career has taken so long to evolve and he's been so inconsistent, there was no way for him to contribute to the next white sox playoff team.

But by this same argument, we should have traded good prospects to bring Machado or Arenado onto the roster the year before they hit free agency?  (More of Hahn's "outside the box" thinking, I guess...)

Other than Freddy Garcia (due to Ozzie's family connection), when has such an acquisition ever resulted in a player passing up FA before going out onto the open market?

You can't argue the odds aren't at least a bit HIGHER of keeping/extending him had he actually been on the 2019 roster?

39 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Tommy Phan and Austin Meadows are getting the majority of AB's in the corners for the Rays. Avi will be battling for off day AB's and DH platoon with Choi most likely. 

Phan has pretty good credentials.  I like him.  Meadows -- not so sure.  I thought Meadows was more of a CF prospect, not sure about that other guy (CFer) who used to be good and got hurt last year.  Can't remember his name.

Who cares?  I just want a third sacker, a center fielder, and another SP.  

8 hours ago, Jake said:

He had 4.2 WAR in 2017, which looked a lot at the time like he had put things together. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he returned to similar form.

It would definitely surprise me. He was hitting at an unsustainable pace with a ridiculous babip. No way he returns to that. 

23 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Sure he did. All it would've taken is the Sox non tendering him then resigning him.

2 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Weird. Is Beckham one of your all-time favorites as well?

Nope. Never liked his game. Love Avi's passion and the big bat he displayed two seasons ago when he was healthy. I can't dog on a guy who gave me so much baseball enjoyment, mostly that season but even some last year after he came back and got hot.

5 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Nope. Never liked his game. Love Avi's passion and the big bat he displayed two seasons ago when he was healthy. I can't dog on a guy who gave me so much baseball enjoyment, mostly that season but even some last year after he came back and got hot.

giphy.gif