Open Letter To Rick Hahn

YouGottaBeBleepingMe

Good evening, Rick. While I assume that you will never actually read this, just wanted to say a few things in the event that you or someone who you work with actually reads White Sox MB's.

I am a long time White Sox fan. When I saw my first game at Comiskey Park, Bill Veeck owned the team, Harry Carey was the play by play man, and the White Sox had not yet played a game on Sports Vision. I have seen at least one home game every year since then and even a World Series game. I have been with this team through thick and thin. I remember the thin years when Ivan Calderon was our best player. I recall the Frank Thomas era with so may great teams from 1990-2005. I recall the frustrations or the Kenny Williams post-World Series after-glow with all of those band aid fixes to try and keep the team competitive while trading away solid prospects for past their prime veterans or giving away deals that bloated the payroll. You have done an admirable job of cutting the waste and rebuilding the farm system. All of the bad contracts are gone, and their is hope again on the South Side for a bright future. It is an exciting time to be a White Sox fan even if some of these prospects go the way of Scott Ruffcorn or Gordon Beckham which some of them most assuredly will.

With how White Sox fans are viewed nationally by ESPN and others, we need something tangible to take away that stench. There is no payroll to speak of for the foreseeable future. Giving out a massive contract is not only not going to break the budget, but it would be criminal if it did not come to pass. You and this organization are not going to have to start handing out massive contracts like the ones the Cubs players are starting to hand out for another 6-7 years if these hyped prospects even pan out, and there are no assurances that they will. Kopech may never get back to his hard throwing self. Moncada may never live up to his hype much like Jurickson Profar never will. You never know how things may play out with prospects. When you have a player that has a track record of elite level production, that player commands a large salary. That is a cost of doing business in MLB.

What I know for certain is that the next television contracts will be much larger if there is a marquee product to sell. When you have all-stars and elite players, you have more leverage to ask for more money from television networks. In business, you have to spend money to make money. That is where a large contract for Machado or Harper makes sense. Plus, it helps give credibility to the organization. Think of the extra media revenue. Think of more people in the stands. Think of more jerseys and merchandise being sold. Think of the extra playoff game revenue. Think of excitement from casual fans if they could see a Machado or Harper playing for the White Sox. That casual fan then buys a White Sox hat instead of a Cubs hat and takes his kids to White Sox games instead of Cubs games. That is how you rebuild the fanbase!! Even if you ignore all of this extra revenue coming in that the organization currently does not have, doesn't what I say make sense?

If you truly want to get things going here, now is the time to act. The financial flexibility for this move is here. All of the large market teams other than the White Sox or the playoff teams do not have the finances for this move. Jerry is not getting younger. If he wants one last shot at the championship, the time to act is right now. Not in 4-5 years. Is putting all of your eggs in the prospects basket and praying for development and good health really the prudent move? If the price is 8-10 years at over $250 million, that is an investment you have to make. Trust me here. If you build it, we will come. Stop beating around the bush. Make the right offer and get us back! Don't make this move for yourself. Don't make this move for Jerry. Don't make this move for the organization. Make this move for the fans! We want it. We need it. We deserve it.

• Like 14

35 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

If we’re asking for change can we sign Shields and trade him back to the Padres for Tatis? They can keep Johnson.

I wonder how much it would cost to straight up buy Tatis.  All I know for sure is there is a number but I have no idea what it is.  Anybody guess?

FWIW I’m not impressed and think he will be a complete bust. 

They already have negotiated a five year extension with Comcast/NBC Chicago...through 2024.

1)The White Sox are confident in the rebuild and believe the deal should be worth a lot more revisiting it again in five years.

2)Comcast isn’t 100% confident in the rebuild and wants to wait another five years before committing to a $1-2 billion deal over a 15-20 year timeframe.

3)The White Sox and Comcast worked out some type of “incentivized deal” where the rights would go up considerably in those years due to signing $100+ million contracts with multiple players who have 3-5 year opt-outs...but the deal would basically remain the same were none of those players to actually sign with the Sox.

6 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

FWIW I’m not impressed and think he will be a complete bust. 

Thank you! 28% K-rate at AA in 386 PAs. Plenty of time for improvement, but I’m just not seeing it. I’m not nearly as worried about this as everyone else is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Thank you! 28% K-rate at AA in 386 PAs. Plenty of time for improvement, but I’m just not seeing it. I’m not nearly as worried about this as everyone else is.

You realize he was 19, right?  He just turned 20 two weeks ago.

Moncada was a full two years older in 2016, his AA season.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Here's a few questions that you need to answer honestly.

Do you really think Hahn doesn't want to add Machado at any cost?

Doesn't he know his team will be much better with one of the best players in the league on it?

What is the limiting factor that may keep him from offering the highest contract to Machado?

People can fault Hahn for talent evaluation like trades. This is not a case of evaluating talent. Everyone knows how good this player is. This transaction is all about how much he is allowed to spend.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

Moncada was 19 years old when he signed with the Red Sox. That is not a fair comparison.

Something tells me if he put up those numbers with Birmingham (especially the lack of errors) at age 19 there wouldn’t be much of an issue.

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, The Sir said:

I agree. He has big power but the plate discipline isn't great. I don't think he will bust completely as the offensive bar for middle infielders isn't great but he might not become a star hitter.

Could see him becoming  a low on base but good power guy who is a 3-4 win guy based on position, defense and above average power but not really a star due to low average and obp. Basically a cj cron with the bat who plays middle infield.

Edited by dominik-keul@gmx.de

4 minutes ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

I agree. He has big power but the plate discipline isn't great. I don't think he will bust completely as the offensive bar for middle infielders isn't great but he might not become a star hitter.

Could see him becoming  a low on base but good power guy who is a 3-4 win guy based on position, defense and above average power but not really a star due to low average and obp. Basically a cj cron with the bat who plays middle infield.

I agree with that. Won't bust completely, but he won't be the superstars that the two guys surrounding him on the MLB prospect list (Vlad and Eloy) will become.

• 1 month later...

Very sad day, Rick. Looks like the organization was not ready to get things going here. You guys were never serious. If you want to go "almost" all the way, you should have just stayed on the sidelines. You look worse for getting where you did and coming up short. I hope you all realize that. The reported offer was nice and fair, but, in order to close the deal, you have to be willing to go all the way. If that means an "opt-out clause", you do it even if the organization does not believe in it. So much for all of that "talk" about "finishing pieces" or "breaking barriers". The fanbase needed this. The fanbase deserved this. You guys did not deliver. Putting all of your hope on a bunch of prospects who can break a hand, throw out an elbow, strain an oblique, tear an achilies (or two), or pull a hamstring at any time is not wise. That operates under the assumption that they will even develop to their hype. See Moncada, Anderson, Giolitto, Fulmer, or Rodon.

I would be hopeful for the next round, but I just do not see an opportunity like this in the next 3 years. Maybe, you guys can try and trade a boatload of these prospects to the Angels for Mike Trout? Oh, wait. You would then have to pay him more than Machado or Harper. Since we all know that will not happen, let's not even waste time dreaming about it as Charlie Brown will kick the football the Lucy's holds more often.

• Love 1

We basically stated we are not going to be in the running for any marquee free agents going forward.

Sad day to be a White Sox fan.

Double sad when you consider we haven't developed a hitter in what, a decade? I honestly don't even recall the last hitter we developed.

Edited by TitoMB345

I think I’m mostly disappointed that our front office “wizards” in Hahn and Kenny apparently think that the possibility of earning $70 million in potential 9th and 10th option years is more valuable than $50 million guaranteed for those last two years.  Machado would have to get 550 at bats at age  34 to receive the $70 million, otherwise, the Sox would be off the hook.  Yeah, just give me the guaranteed $50 million...

7 hours ago, TitoMB345 said:

We basically stated we are not going to be in the running for any marquee free agents going forward.

Sad day to be a White Sox fan.

Double sad when you consider we haven't developed a hitter in what, a decade? I honestly don't even recall the last hitter we developed.

Josh Fields? 😂

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Harper2Sox said:

I think I’m mostly disappointed that our front office “wizards” in Hahn and Kenny apparently think that the possibility of earning $70 million in potential 9th and 10th option years is more valuable than $50 million guaranteed for those last two years.  Machado would have to get 550 at bats at age  34 to receive the $70 million, otherwise, the Sox would be off the hook.  Yeah, just give me the guaranteed $50 million...

What good has  Hahn done? What good has KW had in literally a decade? Competent ownership would fire these two clowns and would have never hired Ventura or Renteria

6 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

What good has  Hahn done? What good has KW had in literally a decade? Competent ownership would fire these two clowns and would have never hired Ventura or Renteria

Hahn has traded well in my opinion (Fraser for 3 fringe prospects, Eloy trade, Eaton trade, even the Sale trade could still end up good, Colome for a rule 5 catcher)

free agents I gave him a pass on until now because until the rebuild he had to go bargain shopping. Yesterday was his chance to step up.

to win a World Series in the current climate of super teams and tankers you need to put out a team better than ever. Now we’ve proven we won’t step up for free agents we will always struggle to be a super team and that is hard to swallow as a fan. Yesterday was the death of hope. Hope created by Hahn’s rhetoric during the re-build and then destroyed by him, KW and the old man.