Candidates for team friendly extensions

Dominikk85

The sox front office made some mistakes but also did some great team friendly extensions. Really the extensions of sale, Quintana and Eaton were the backbone of this rebuild as it made those guys off the charts valuable and meant they could acquire assets much faster than for example the Astros or Phillies.

Who could be a candidate for this? It has to happen before the player is an established star usually but you also don't want to waste of 30-40m on a bust of course. I don't think eloy will sign one as he was too much of a star in the minors but there are still some candidates. Good candidates are non highly drafted hitters and basically every pitcher since pitchers have a higher risk.

IIRC, WSD said Eloy already turned down an extension last season. Its hard to tell if that means he won't once he's up or whether he just wants to establish himself a bit to get a better offer. 

In general I don't know how to feel about extension offers. On one hand with how little money free agents are getting by the time they reach free agency they might not want to risk getting nothing and be willing to take an extension offer if its close to market value. On the other hand guys who you would want to get extensions (young stars) might not want to take any deal that goes into their free agency years even if it does guarantee them money because it seems like players basically only make good money before they are 33ish. 

I think the culmination of this is that we see fewer deals like Tim Anderson where we lock up guys on extremely team friendly deals early, and instead see more deals like Charlie Blackmon where we get a slight discount over market to lock a guy up as he approaches the end of his team control. This might be especially true for us with our recent emphasis on drafting college players where even if they were to make it to the majors the next year (this coming season for Madrigal for example), they would be 29 and would really probably only get 4 good years, and that is an absolute best case scenario for the player. 

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

It will be interesting to see if these last couple of off seasons change some minds on early extensions on the players side of things, or if they feel like they are just going to wait until the strike in a few years.

Just out curiosity, whats happens to player control in a strike?  I was a toddler when the last strike happened, so don't recall any of the details.  Let's say MLB teams went on strike before spring training 2021 - and the 2021 season never happened - do service time and contract just stall?  If you have a guy signed for 2021 and 2022, but the 2021 season never happens, is he now signed for 2022 and 2023?  Does service time accrue if games aren't being played? 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Just out curiosity, whats happens to player control in a strike?  I was a toddler when the last strike happened, so don't recall any of the details.  Let's say MLB teams went on strike before spring training 2021 - and the 2021 season never happened - do service time and contract just stall?  If you have a guy signed for 2021 and 2022, but the 2021 season never happens, is he now signed for 2022 and 2023?  Does service time accrue if games aren't being played? 

I have zero idea, but I imagine that is something that would be settled during the strike, kind of like backpay in a government shutdown.

Out of our youngsters 

Eloy - would have signed one last year if he was willing, so I think we can rule that out

Moncada - Already has tens of millions from his signing bonus so there's no logic for him in it

Giolito - are you even 75% confident he's a solid starting pitcher?

Kopech/Cease: With arm troubles you gotta wait til they at least show they're healthy and in the bigs, but if they were there in 2020 and willing to talk ok.

Collins - might be worth thinking about but we've got to see more from him to earn his way up first. Maybe if he breaks in like Anderson it'd be time to do it.

Rodon - agent is some guy named Scott Boras

Lopez - the guy who it could really make sense for.

The other guys who it would make sense for are the young outfielders not named Robert, but they're all several years away, so maybe 2021 or 2022, if there is a season then, it could be worth thinking about.

5 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Out of our youngsters 

Eloy - would have signed one last year if he was willing, so I think we can rule that out

Moncada - Already has tens of millions from his signing bonus so there's no logic for him in it

Giolito - are you even 75% confident he's a solid starting pitcher?

Kopech/Cease: With arm troubles you gotta wait til they at least show they're healthy and in the bigs, but if they were there in 2020 and willing to talk ok.

Collins - might be worth thinking about but we've got to see more from him to earn his way up first. Maybe if he breaks in like Anderson it'd be time to do it.

Rodon - agent is some guy named Scott Boras

Lopez - the guy who it could really make sense for.

The other guys who it would make sense for are the young outfielders not named Robert, but they're all several years away, so maybe 2021 or 2022, if there is a season then, it could be worth thinking about.

The problem is, if they are good then they will not extend. Now is the time to extend Kopech, Cease, an Lopez and see if they bite.