Sox Hire Ryan Johansen to PD staff // stat based hitting coach

southsider2k5

Here's some info from Fegan on the guy

He’s not “the internet’s most followed hitting coach,” but the White Sox did announce the addition of another data-oriented baseball mind to their player development staff on Wednesday. Ryan Johansen ran Johansen Baseball in the Chicago area, a clinic which touts its ability to map out both mechanical and conditioning improvements for hitters by collecting data on their swings with tracking equipment.

Like Everett Teaford last season before being named assistant pitching coordinator, Johansen will hold the simple title of “coach” for the Low-A Kannapolis Intimidators. Like most teams, the White Sox are reticent to discuss how they’ll leverage analytics in their player development in intensive detail, but it stands to reason that they Sox hired Johansen to do what he has already demonstrated he’s good at.

“I got to know Ryan a little bit this winter,” Getz said. “His skill set is definitely a bit more on the data side. He hasn’t been in professional baseball. He’s ran some academies in the Chicago area. He’s a very bright guy, hungry to learn more in professional baseball in that environment. He’s worked with a lot of professional hitters. When you put these staffs together you want to provide as many resources as possible to the players and he’s going to bring a sort of different dynamic. He’s going to strengthen our group in Kannapolis.”

https://theathletic.com/772714/2019/01/17/dominican-republic-visit-gives-white-sox-prospects-a-chance-to-see-the-game-from-the-other-side/

Many baseball players are religious and open about it. 

It is true that this is a bit unusual that sabermetric guys do it as they usually lean left and agnostic.

I'm guessing he might have gotten recruited by lisle as they are both part of the "hitting twitter community".

Let's see how they are doing, going this direction is definitely the trend now in baseball and really player development can't get any worse in pro baseball. Those guys had good success in the amateurs and now they get the chance to prove they can do it in pro ball.

11 minutes ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

Many baseball players are religious and open about it. 

It is true that this is a bit unusual that sabermetric guys do it as they usually lean left and agnostic.

Lol I was thinking the same thing. Usually smart people who like data and science don't have to rely on religion for answers.

But on the topic at hand, love that he considers himself a data nerd. He has a podcast, so now I am kind of interested to hear some of his newer episodes and see if he discusses the Sox at all.

"Humbled to officially announce I have accepted a position with the Chicago White Sox Player Development Staff. Looking forward to see how Santa Claus uses this in my life to continue to build meaningful relationships inside and outside of baseball while I pursue my passion of the game."

^^This is what I read and this is why it's so cringe, but hey -- no problems here... I'm glad that the W'Sox are hiring an apparent data enthusiast. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

"Humbled to officially announce I have accepted a position with the Chicago White Sox Player Development Staff. Looking forward to see how Santa Claus uses this in my life to continue to build meaningful relationships inside and outside of baseball while I pursue my passion of the game."

^^This is what I read and this is why it's so cringe, but hey -- no problems here... I'm glad that the W'Sox are hiring an apparent data enthusiast. 

How edgy 

• Thanks 1

Strange way to introduce yourself in a public professional setting along with being a Cub fan. I am not opposed to his beliefs. Wish him well but won't expect a lot. Still looking for a mental gymnastics coach.