FS: Luis Basabe, Sooner rather than Later

NorthSideSox72

What I like about basabe, and i do think his greatest likelihood is 4th outfielder, but he also feels like a prospect that can blow doors off his projection at any point. He does have power, what if he hits enough to make that plus plus? He does walk alot, what if he gets so selective it forces more strikes to play up his power?

His hit tool could hold him back, but he seems like a really smart player that is going to get most out of his tools.

Really dubious about the 27% K-rate in AA. That needs major improvement if he's going to make it to the top.

And yes, I'm obsessed with K-rate. The most glowing thing about Eloy, out of all the glowing things, is his 15% K-rate at AAA. That will play in the bigs. 27%, which will increase as he continues to rise, will not.

1 hour ago, The Sir said:

Really dubious about the 27% K-rate in AA. That needs major improvement if he's going to make it to the top.

And yes, I'm obsessed with K-rate. The most glowing thing about Eloy, out of all the glowing things, is his 15% K-rate at AAA. That will play in the bigs. 27%, which will increase as he continues to rise, will not.

27% isn't as scary as it used to be, but it is high. That said, dude was 21 years old making him 3 years younger than league average. And he pairs that with high walk rates, so he clearly has some zone control. It's something to watch out for but I don't think it is a huge deal at this stage for him.

Fair enough. Like always, even with a guy with the same issue in MLB a la Moncada, this can improve. If it does, he’s at least a fourth OF, and probably more (especially if he can stay in CF). But more than OPS or any other statistical thing, the Ks are what I’m watching from Luis this year.

17 hours ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

27% isn't as scary as it used to be, but it is high. That said, dude was 21 years old making him 3 years younger than league average. And he pairs that with high walk rates, so he clearly has some zone control. It's something to watch out for but I don't think it is a huge deal at this stage for him.

To piggyback off this, take a look at Micker Adolfo. Here were his K rates the last three years:

2016 in Kanny: 33.2%

2017 in Kanny: 31.5%

2018 in W.S.: 27.4%

He has been decreasing his K rate the past three years, and that even included being bumped to a higher level. I think K rate can definitely be improved, especially when talking about a really young player. I don't think Basabe will automatically have a higher K rate as he rises to the next level.

He's going to be good...he'll figure out something with those Ks (which I assume include a lot of looking Ks). He'll either learn to foul them off (great) or expand a bit with 2 strikes without losing his discipline.  Sox have several athletic outfielders who should be ready in the next 2 years.