Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
southsider2k5

Farmer and DJ back on radio for 2019

Recommended Posts

If stone retires I hope they can convince konerko. I've been really impressed with him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 1:48 PM, Jack Parkman said:

Farmio is a horrible PBP guy. I can't wait until they get him the fuck off of the radio team. I don't even consider listening to games on the radio because he's so gawd awful at his job. 

100% spot on.  It's actually quite embarrassing.  I don't even have 720 as a preset in my car radio because I'd rather watch the gamecast on my phone than listen to Farmer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JoshPR said:

If stone retires I hope they can convince konerko. I've been really impressed with him

From the little I heard of him, he seemed very knowledgeable of the game, but too soft spoken to be interesting enough to call a 3 hour game. I don't think he has the voice for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lorn Brown was the best White Sox radio play by play man in my lifetime.  Not even close.  Rooney had zero passion and was a baseball broadcaster cliché.  Phony broadcaster voice and all.  Guy was so desperate for a catch phrase and he comes up with "it's a goner" for home run calls.  WOW!  Original.  For wins he used "that's  a white sox winner" which is a pure rip off of Jack Buck.  Ed Farmer shouldn't even be mentioned as a play by play man because he was put into that job with zero qualification and he's ever gotten one iota better since day one.  He broadcasts a game like Yoda would.  "The Sox trail 3-2 they do"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, jblastick said:

Lorn Brown was the best White Sox radio play by play man in my lifetime.  Not even close.  Rooney had zero passion and was a baseball broadcaster cliché.  Phony broadcaster voice and all.  Guy was so desperate for a catch phrase and he comes up with "it's a goner" for home run calls.  WOW!  Original.  For wins he used "that's  a white sox winner" which is a pure rip off of Jack Buck.  Ed Farmer shouldn't even be mentioned as a play by play man because he was put into that job with zero qualification and he's ever gotten one iota better since day one.  He broadcasts a game like Yoda would.  "The Sox trail 3-2 they do"

Meh.  I thought Brown was the poor man’s version of Joe McConnell.  I liked McConnell’s energy he had, and he was actually fairly knowledgeable about the game for someone who had never played.  But Brown was a Sox fan, through and through, and that did come out in each and every broadcast, which I appreciated.  

Edited by Fan O'Faust

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fan O'Faust said:

Meh.  I thought Brown was the poor man’s version of Joe McConnell.  I liked McConnell’s energy he had, and he was actually fairly knowledgeable about the game for someone who had never played.  But Brown was a Sox fan, through and through, and that did come out in each and every broadcast, which I appreciated.  

Hey I'm with ya.  McConnell was very good too.  I just really enjoyed (and remember) Lorn Brown's calls.  Even when he came back in 1983 (and even in 1985 with Del Crandall zzzzzzzz).  His calls of some summer of 1985 white sox walk offs were fantastic.  McConnell while great did the Bears as well and only was with the Sox from 80-84.  I never associated Joe as the "White Sox" guy.  He was more of a Chicago sports guy.  Just an opinion through.  Good times regardless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

All it takes is for a good team to be on the field.

Yeah I think as the team gets better so will he.  It's not easy to keep your audience enthralled when you're covering a dumpster fire.

Edited by bschmaranz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My overall problem with Benetti & Stone is the age difference and how that gap plays out in the booth.  

Stone is a little more than twice as old as Benetti, and had  finished his MLB pitching career and was already in the Cubs’ booth with Harry Caray before Benetti was born.  So they are hardly peers in one sense.  

Yet Benetti engages and often needles Stone in a way you might expect two old college roommates would at Benetti’s current age. It seems awkward at many points in any given broadcast when the 71 year-old Stone tries to play off that approach.  

I like the fact that the two genuinely seem to enjoy one another’s company in the booth.  I just wish they could develop a better dynamic between them that was more age appropriate to both.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reason Farmer is so bad at PBP is because he needs someone to reign him in and cut him off as necessary. His rambling, sometimes incoherent stories can be fun for filling time, but we are tuned in to hear baseball. Too often, Ed thinks fans listen to hear his stories and the game comes second to the point he was trying to make. In the past, Rooney would cut him with "Wow, interesting. So here's the 2-2 pitch. Fouled off. You were saying?" Today, I hear something like this every time I turn on the Sox in the car.

Farmer: I was at a golf tournament with Dan Hampton. Hall of Famer. Super Bowl winner. He was telling me about his time back at Arkansas. They were playing Alabama, coached by the great Bear Bryant. You know Bear Bryant?

DJ: ...

Farmer: Bear Bryant, the greatest coach of all time?

DJ: Huh?

Farmer: Former Alabama Coach Bear Bryant?

DJ: Yeah, Bear Bryant. One of the best ever.

Farmer: You ever see a Bear Bryant coached team play?

DJ: Oh yeah. All the time on TV growing up.

Farmer: So he's telling me this story *crack of bat in the background, fans gasp then organ plays* about this time they went to Tuscaloosa. That pitch was fouled off. Anyway, they were worried about staying at the team hotel because *crack of bat, fans gasp and then groan, farmer speeds up to finish his story* back then, Alabama fans used to call the hotel all night and wake up random players. They weren't supposed to. So Morneau pulls into second with a leadoff double. Trouble brewing here. So Hampton says...

 

Maybe just as bad as that is when Farmer is actually paying attention to the game, but gives the hint that a play is happening much differently than it is. Such as:

1. Abreu gets a hold of this one! Hits it deep to the right center gap. This could be trouble.*dramatic pause, mild cheering* Trout camps under it for the first out.

2. (calmly stated) Lindor swings and hits a weak flyball to RF. *dramatic pause or continues telling story* Lindor doubles as Garcia can't get there in time.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Fan O'Faust said:

My overall problem with Benetti & Stone is the age difference and how that gap plays out in the booth.  

Stone is a little more than twice as old as Benetti, and had  finished his MLB pitching career and was already in the Cubs’ booth with Harry Caray before Benetti was born.  So they are hardly peers in one sense.  

Yet Benetti engages and often needles Stone in a way you might expect two old college roommates would at Benetti’s current age. It seems awkward at many points in any given broadcast when the 71 year-old Stone tries to play off that approach.  

I like the fact that the two genuinely seem to enjoy one another’s company in the booth.  I just wish they could develop a better dynamic between them that was more age appropriate to both.  

this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, JoshPR said:

If stone retires I hope they can convince konerko. I've been really impressed with him

would LOVE to hear Paulie call games for us if he were interested in the job. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×