The Future of First Base

hogan873

56 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

This is really the opposite of true. What you are saying is what they would have done pre-Hostetler. Since Nick took over they've really tracked away from this. One exception is Burdi, who was 1-supp (a slot some teams like to do funky things with) and was still a solid pick at that range.

Rodon, Fulmer, all the talk about moving Moncada to bring in Madrigal, they don't do it every time (Eloy) but it's still happening regularly.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Rodon, Fulmer, all the talk about moving Moncada to bring in Madrigal, they don't do it every time (Eloy) but it's still happening regularly.

Rodon and Fulmer were pretty clear picks at that level. Also Rodon was pre-Hostetler. and the Fulmer draft was specifically Nick running it from AFTER Fulmer. So not at all, really. And in fact the Madrigal pick specifically shows you they are all about BPA, considering they had an elite young talent there already. Every case you just brought up illustrates that it is not a thing anymore for the Sox (with again, Burdi being arguably the one exception).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Rodon was such a no brainer pick, using him as evidence is laughable.  

Yes. 14 was a very weak draft and rodon was even considered 1-1 by some. 

Also look how the other top 5 turned out. Only schwarber is an mlb regular, kolek, aiken and jackson seem to be total busts.

24 minutes ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

Yes. 14 was a very weak draft and rodon was even considered 1-1 by some. 

Also look how the other top 5 turned out. Only schwarber is an mlb regular, kolek, aiken and jackson seem to be total busts.

True but had Rodon been off board I bet we went Nola 

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Rodon was such a no brainer pick, using him as evidence is laughable.  

Picking him sure. Vaughn might even make sense as the pick. But racing Rodon up to the rotation in April of 2015 and thinking he was part of your playoff bound rotation, with no time to work on stuff in the minors like his changeup? Classic White Sox. 

7 hours ago, DH in the NL said:

If Sheets, Burger, and Collins seem to be the unanimous choice should we really be looking to draft a player like Andrew Vaughn in the upcoming draft if Adley is selected 1/2? People believe you don’t draft for “need” but when do you stop drafting guys that are projected for the same position?

I wonder the same thing, but if Vaughn's bat is as legit as they say, how can you pass on it? Sox could use a another bat like his in the system. Hate taking a 1B with the number 3 though.

Sheets is such a big guy its strange about his power. It took him 21 games this year to hit a HR, then he hit HRs in back to back games, then another 25 games or so and he hit 2 in a game. Then another 40 games until he hit another. I sat right behind the on deck circle for a game agains the Down East Wood Ducks and couldnt believe he had so few HRs with that size. He did become a favorite of mine as a friend said "Wake Forest sucks" to him and he turned around and said "Guess you couldnt get in there." With a big smile on his face. He got my friend laughing pretty good.  He had a great personality so I am pulling for him. Maybe it will click. He hit 21 his last year at Wake.

36 minutes ago, pmb0928 said:

Sheets is such a big guy its strange about his power. It took him 21 games this year to hit a HR, then he hit HRs in back to back games, then another 25 games or so and he hit 2 in a game. Then another 40 games until he hit another. I sat right behind the on deck circle for a game agains the Down East Wood Ducks and couldnt believe he had so few HRs with that size. He did become a favorite of mine as a friend said "Wake Forest sucks" to him and he turned around and said "Guess you couldnt get in there." With a big smile on his face. He got my friend laughing pretty good.  He had a great personality so I am pulling for him. Maybe it will click. He hit 21 his last year at Wake.

He’s a fantastic interview. As fathom has pointed out, his swing feels like he is trying to hit grounders, but he has stated he’s tried to get more power out of it while not worrying too much about it.

8 hours ago, fathom said:

Problem is he’s going from an incredibly short porch in RF at W-S to a horrible park to hit at.  It’s a big reason why I want the Sox to cash in on Rutherford now if teams really like him.

Doesn’t matter when you’re not hitting a lot of fly balls.  Sheets need to adjust his swing to get more loft or he’s not going to make it despite having very good plate discipline & raw power.

10 hours ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

This is really the opposite of true. What you are saying is what they would have done pre-Hostetler. Since Nick took over they've really tracked away from this. One exception is Burdi, who was 1-supp (a slot some teams like to do funky things with) and was still a solid pick at that range.

Neither Burdi nor Burger were the BPA.  Burdi was drafted precisely to rush into the 2016 bullpen.

On 1/18/2019 at 9:35 AM, fathom said:

Problem is he’s going from an incredibly short porch in RF at W-S to a horrible park to hit at.  It’s a big reason why I want the Sox to cash in on Rutherford now if teams really like him.

It's funny hearing knocks on Sheets and Rutherford when those 2 guys probably have the most well rounded approach at the plate. Rutherford  and Sheets made great progress going from A to A+, AA will be a challenge for more than just Rutherford. It's where you really start to separate the men from the boys.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

I'm a bit more concerned about sheets. He hit a few too many grounders but at 45% gb and also 40% pull it wasn't that extreme.

It wasn't just a FB quantity thing, his HR/FB was a terrible 5%. 

Maybe it is his swing that undercuts fly balls too much so they get too much backspin but so far the raw power output looks bad and more needs to be done to unlock his power if it is even there.

Maybe the new sabermetric hitting coaches can unlock some with him.

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:49 PM, GreenSox said:

Neither Burdi nor Burger were the BPA.  Burdi was drafted precisely to rush into the 2016 bullpen.

I am pretty sure Burger was the top bat available. If I remember correctly there were 6 or 7 hitters I would've wanted before him, but they all got taken before we picked.