Jon Jay v. Avisail Garcia - who will be the better bang for the buck in 2019

Greg Hibbard

This really isn't about Jay and Avi. Jay was brought in because Engel can't hit and the Sox needed a left handed bat that could play center. Imho, Avi is gone because of Palka's ability to hit for power from the left side and stay off the DL. The comp should be between Avi and Palka which, I'll take Palka. 

An interesting bang for buck comp is Engel and Jay. 

Edited by BlackSox13
  • Like 2

I'm a big Avi fan, so therefore, I think the Rays got a steal. If he has a bad year with his injuries like last year, Avi is gonna hit 20 home runs and bat .250. 

But if he can stay healthy, he's gonna hit 30 home runs and bat, at least, .290. I believe that totally. 

Jon Jay, is gonna bat .255 and hit 5 home runs for the Sox, with a weaker arm than Avi in the outfield, but more range (I'll give the Avi detractors that much). 

So, I think the Avi will be a much better bargain. 

15 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

I'm a big Avi fan, so therefore, I think the Rays got a steal. If he has a bad year with his injuries like last year, Avi is gonna hit 20 home runs and bat .250. 

But if he can stay healthy, he's gonna hit 30 home runs and bat, at least, .290. I believe that totally. 

Jon Jay, is gonna bat .255 and hit 5 home runs for the Sox, with a weaker arm than Avi in the outfield, but more range (I'll give the Avi detractors that much). 

So, I think the Avi will be a much better bargain. 

Avi has hit 30 homers 0 times.

He has hit 20 homers 0 times.

He has hit .290 1 time.

He has played in 150 games 0 times.

He has played 140 games 1 time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Jon Jay is 33 years old and never played in the all-star game. 

Avi is 27 and played in it in 2017. He think he has a much, much greater upside. 

We'll see who's right. I already told you, I'm a Avi fan. 

You can be a fan, and still be objective.  Avi has plenty of upside but he also can't stay healthy enough to start to find it. The Sox have other corners who can hit, not field, and not stay healthy.  Besides all of that, Garcia will be a full free agent in a year.  If something changes they can sign him again in a year. In the meantime it is time to see what others can do.

If Avi could play CF, this might be a conversation worth having, but he can't. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BlackSox13 said:

This really isn't about Jay and Avi. Jay was brought in because Engel can't hit and the Sox needed a left handed bat that could play center. Imho, Avi is gone because of Palka's ability to hit for power from the left side and stay off the DL. The comp should be between Avi and Palka which, I'll take Palka. 

An interesting bang for buck comp is Engel and Jay. 

Jay is an upgrade over Yolmer and Leury which is good enough for me. 

• Like 1

Hey  Avi only hit .330 over the course of an entire season once.  Lots of major league players do that at least once during their career, right?

Oh yea, he is prone to injury because of an accident fielding a line drive when he was playing at a much higher weight, but you know, he was injured last season so you put those injuries together and it is obvious, , he is a ticking time bomb, just waiting to be injured again.

And he is slow....well at least he was before he lost weight and got in top shape.

Low power numbers too which is absolutely unacceptable when you hit .330.  No sense trying to master the strike zone a bit before starting to wail away.

Avi will outperform Jay by a lot If he's healthy all year.  If he plays his average 110/120 games, he will still outperform Jay.  Defensively is another question though, the Rays have Keirmeyer and Pham in the outfield, two great defenders to cover for him...hell, Avi will probably spend a lot of time at DH. keeping him off the field to possibly get injured.