Joc Pederson: πŸ’€πŸ’€β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹πŸ’€β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹

NCsoxfan

I hope there is at least a little bit to this rumor. Young Joc would be a huge upgrade. I don't think the rumored names going to the Dodgers make much sense, but I guess if Rich Hill is a salary dump it makes a little more sense. I wouldn't mind if Jace Fry were in this deal instead of Bummer.

People getting hung up on platoon splits is a little silly right now to me. Pederson is a legit major league player and Jay/Engel/Palka/Delmonico aren't. If the Sox are actually in the race in 2020 then maybe you try to find a platoon partner for Pederson, but right now I'll just happily take the massive upgrade in CF for now.

• Like 2

Just now, Fuagman said:

I dno. I think we’re very high on palka because yes he has ridiculous power but .294 OBP! He’s 27, are we expecting him to get better? He’s an absolute wild card

Sure he’s a wild card, but if you aren’t getting Manny or Bryce, you’re still in a rebuild season where you want to see what you have in Palka instead of Yonder.

Just now, Jerksticks said:

Maybe we are building a championship roster:

Jimenez, Harper, Pederson, Jay & Engel without Robert waiting is championship level. Β 

If we are getting Pederson I would much rather get Machado to help our 3B problem. Our hitting would be playoff caliber IMO, SP is another thing though.Β 

3 minutes ago, smellysox said:

So what's Hill and Peterson's salaries?

Pederson makes $5M in 2019, and then 2020 is his final year of arbitration.Β 

Hill has 1 year left at $18M. Hopefully Hill is a negative asset and the Sox take him to either reduce the return for Pederson. Makes the "Fulmer/Bummer" scenario more plausible.Β 

Β 

Dodgers already saved money with the Kemp/Puig deal with the Reds. This deal would save them $21M in AAV against the luxury tax. Pollock would slot in under that amount.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Whitesox27 said:

This deal seems like it would make a lot of sense for both sides. Sox get a quality outfielder and a guy they can slot into the #5 spot in the starting rotation, while the Dodgers clear some salary and get two potential bullpen pieces who are young and under team control for awhile.Β 

Rich Hill would be the Sox best starter if her were acquired. He gets hurt ever year so I could see him getting slotted as the #3 in the rotation, but when he's healthy it's hard to image he not the best starter on the team.

If everything goes perfectly a Rodon, Lopez, Hill, Giolito, Nova isn't going to be so bad that it keeps you from making the playoffs, but most likely it's just a stop gap group that requires three guys to be replaced on a playoff team.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

Rich Hill would be the Sox best starter if her were acquired. He gets hurt ever year so I could see him getting slotted as the #3 in the rotation, but when he's healthy it's hard to image he not the best starter on the team.

If everything goes perfectly a Rodon, Lopez, Hill, Giolito, Nova isn't going to be so bad that it keeps you from making the playoffs, but most likely it's just a stop gap group that requires three guys to be replaced on a playoff team.

I do feel better about that starting 5 than what we threw out there last year.Β 

Edited by smellysox
Could Ricky then go with 12 pitchers instead of 13?

I dont really understand the trade. Against RHP Palka and Joc hit very similar as far as HR and Avg last year. Palka had better splits against LHP.

Joc is historically bad against lefties and has two years of control left. Palka is not a free agent till 25’. So if this is true id assume*Β they are searching forΒ aΒ defensive upgrade in the outfield.Β and see palka as a trade peice for a SP/another part of the roster. Otherwise, this throws me off right now.

Β Even ifΒ Rich Hill is part of the proposal, his durability makes me question his value on a rebuilding team on a bridge year

Edited by IowaPG

1 hour ago, IowaPG said:

I dont really understand the trade. Against RHP Palka and Joc hit very similar as far as HR and Avg last year. Palka had better splits against LHP.

Joc is historically bad against lefties and has two years of control left. Palka is not a free agent till 25’. So if this is true id assume*Β they are searching forΒ aΒ defensive upgrade in the outfield.Β and see palka as a trade peice for a SP/another part of the roster. Otherwise, this throws me off right now.

Β Even ifΒ Rich Hill is part of the proposal, his durability makes me question his value on a rebuilding team on a bridge year

If Palka could passably play CF, let alone RF, then you’d have an argument.

3.1, 3.6 and 2.7, three of his four years he’s averaged 9.4/3=3.1 fWAR if you throw out 2017.

Some team’s going to give Bryce Harper $325-375 million counting on at leastΒ 4 fWAR seasons. Β 

Palka’s projected at 0.6 or 0.5 for 2019, Pederson at 3 again.

Β 

The key is to have 4-5 guys who can put up a 2-3.5 (Anderson, Abreu, Pederson) and then you have Moncada, Jimenez and Machado to put up really big numbers. Β That leaves catcher, DH (Alonso/Palka) and RF. Β  A move for Jones or Markakis here would not be shocking if they managed to get Pederson and Machado in the fold. Β All of a sudden, you have a potentially excellent offense.

2B Moncada

3B Manny Machado

1B Jose Abreu

DH Yonder Alonso/Palka

LF Β Eloy Jimenez

CF Β Joc Pederson

C Β Castillo

RF Β Palka/Markakis/Adam Jones

SS Β Tim Anderson

Β 

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Quin said:

Also just gonna add that Bryce Bush for Joc Pederson would be incredibly moronic.

If any prospect not in the Top 10 has a chance to skyrocket this year, it's him.

100% agree. Β We should of learned our lesson with hewhoshallnotbenamed. Β I don’t care if Machado is basically in the bag, Bush can always be used as trade currency in the future when (hopefully) his value has increased. Β IMO, guys like him, Curbelo, Sosa, Nunez should be off the table in any trades. Β Yes they all may be lottery tickets, but like you phrased it, they have the best chance to β€œskyrocket this year” and this rebuild is going to need multiple waves of talent if it’s going to work.

• Like 2

• Heads22 changed the title to JocTalk.com - Waiting......