Joc Pederson: πŸ’€πŸ’€β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹πŸ’€β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹

NCsoxfan

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

He still has a role unless we’re going to start Leury or add Markakis/Jones into the RF mix as well.

The Dodgers most assuredly don’t need any more LH hitting outfielders who can’t even defend a corner position...and he’s the type of hitter who needs regular playing time with that type of hitting approach.

If we add Joc, I don’t see how Palka fits to be honest. Β We aren’t going to have more than a four player bench and Jay is guaranteed a spot on the 25 man roster. Β Also, JocΒ & Alonso both needΒ platoon mates. Β To me, Engel is the obvious partner for Pederson and potentially someone like Rondon for Yonder. Β Unless they trade Sanchez, we’re out of spots for Palka once Jimenez comes up.

3 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Please make Bryce Bush off limits.Β 

He should be . Dodgers coming away with 1 high upside player and they win the trade. Should be our scraps for giving them room for Pollock or Harper perhaps .Β  Scraps for salary and roster space. Otherwise screw the Dodgers.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If we add Joc, I don’t see how Palka fits to be honest. Β We aren’t going to have more than a four player bench and Jay is guaranteed a spot on the 25 man roster. Β Also, JocΒ & Alonso both needΒ platoon mates. Β To me, Engel is the obvious partner for Pederson and potentially someone like Rondon for Yonder. Β Unless they trade Sanchez, we’re out of spots for Palka once Jimenez comes up.

You’re really going to start Jay or Leury in the outfield, in RF?

Still think Rondon is the odd man out... Β 

If you look at it realistically, Yolmer has the most value to other teams, so Leury’s ability to play nearly every position on the field and lower salary gives him the advantage.

Edited by caulfield12

13 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Joc is not bad. I have always kind of hoped the Sox went after him the last couple of years. Seems to be the odd man out in LA all the time but is still a good player. But at this point, if you are going to lose him in 2 seasons, giving up value doesn’t make a lot of sense. Bummer, fine. He seems like he will be OK, but acquiring someone similar shouldn’t be too hard if needed. Fuller, OK. It doesn’t look like the Sox plan for him is working. Even Frye, it’s not like he is Billy Wagner or even Zach Britton. Next man up is probably just as likely to be around 3 or 4 years from now. But a guy like Bush maycome back to haunt them. Especially is Joc is a 2 year guy.

I like him too, and like at least the possibility with him that he mitigates his big weakness and vaults himself to new level. At that point you could re sign or whatever.

24 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He’s only struck out in ~20% of his plate appearances over the last two seasons.

Wow, you're right. His batting average is still crap so I assumed he was still striking out like crazy.Β  Getting rid of the strikeouts hasn't helped him get on base anymore though.

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

You’re really going to start Jay or Leury in the outfield, in RF?

Still think Rondon is the odd man out... Β 

If you look at it realistically, Yolmer has the most value to other teams, so Leury’s ability to play nearly every position on the field and lower salary gives him the advantage.

Jay , Leury, Yolmer, Rondon, EngelΒ  . is fine by me as a group of 3rd / 4th OF. The main piece is Pederson as a starter which adds an acceptable bat and glove in CFΒ  and a better glove in RF than Palka. With bench spots at a premium definitely need a guy who can play IF and OFΒ  and that group should incude Leury, Yolmer and Rondon.

12 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Wow, you're right. His batting average is still crap so I assumed he was still striking out like crazy.Β  Getting rid of the strikeouts hasn't helped him get on base anymore though.

Worth noting though wouldn’t he have had like the second highest OBP on our team last year still?

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I’m surprised Pedersons arm didn’t grade out on fangraphs I thought His arm was plus for some reason.

We need to keep things in perspective on Pederson and or Hill and why nothing but scraps need to be given for them. They would be place holders nothing more . More useful pieces for a season or 2 over what we have that's all.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

We need to keep things in perspective on Pederson and or Hill and why nothing but scraps need to be given for them. They would be place holders nothing more . More useful pieces for a season or 2 over what we have that's all.

I only think Pederson comes "for scraps" if it means the Sox are taking on Hill and all of his money. There is no reason Pederson should be considered worthless. He might be expendable, but he isn't only worth scraps.Β 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Greek-konerko said:

I think if indeed we have a joc trade more pieces could be involved like chris taylor with leury or yolmer going the other way. Just guessing here

Taylor’s as good a bit as any to start at 2B or in LF. Β  They’re not going to just give him and Pederson away.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol...I was going to say the mods should just pin this at the top of every thread that involves trading forΒ a veteran so we can quicklyΒ get the whiningΒ out of the way.

Without Machado, it’s going to be a hollow victory...but having Pederson instead of Engel or pushing Palka to DH (where he’s currently blocked by vets) Β ertainly makesΒ sense. Β Sending Hill out there instead of Covey, as well. Β The problem is none of those guys will be around in 2021, so we circle back to the same problem.

And those movesΒ would already put us at close to a $100 million payroll...with not much of a bump in attendance without one of the whales.

In the end, we need Machado/Harper or a huge jump from our minors and that #3 pick.

17 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I only think Pederson comes "for scraps" if it means the Sox are taking on Hill and all of his money. There is no reason Pederson should be considered worthless. He might be expendable, but he isn't only worth scraps.Β 

Isn't that what I said ? Pederson definitely isn't worthless, but he is a a part time player given his inability to hit lefties and likely a corner OF and free agent by the time our OF prospects are ready. If it's only Pederson who do you think he is worth ? Do you give up on Fulmer ? I know many have.

Here is one argument that depends on return for me to still approve.

This year is still not gonna be the year. But enough guys arrive in 2020 you hope, but they may not arrive and hit the ground running. Having a pretty good, young guy on your roster in 2020 may be good with that club, and then he’ll be 28 and you can decide whether you want to pay him because he is a top teams depth as we saw. It would be great to have a guy who destroys righties to complement around outfield.

26 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol...I was going to say the mods should just pin this at the top of every thread that involves trading forΒ a veteran so we can quicklyΒ get the whiningΒ out of the way.

He will say it regardless if it is pinned. Β Β 

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

55 minutes ago, Greek-konerko said:

I think if indeed we have a joc trade more pieces could be involved like chris taylor with leury or yolmer going the other way. Just guessing here

I haven't read through all of the pages so not sure if this has been mentioned. Heads up, if Alonso and Jay are two of the players going the other way I guess we are losing out to the "mystery" team, on Machado. Then LA can sign Manny and we can put this saga to bed.Β 

• Heads22 changed the title to JocTalk.com - Waiting......