Joc Pederson: πŸ’€πŸ’€β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹πŸ’€β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹

NCsoxfan

2 minutes ago, Saufley said:

I haven't read through all of the pages so not sure if this has been mentioned. Heads up, if Alonso and Jay are two of the players going the other way I guess we are losing out to the "mystery" team, on Machado. Then LA can sign Manny and we can put this saga to bed.Β 

Dodgers have no need for Jay or Alonso. Β If this rumor is true, no reason to think some combo of the 3 names mentioned wouldn’t be involved

5 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

He will say it regardless if it is pinned. Β Β 

But he is right here. No prospects should be given up . If Dodgers truly are wanting Pollock and have to get rid of Hill and Pederson to do it any team that deals with them is doing them a favor. Hell they could turn round and then decide they want Harper and I certainly don't want to help them do that either.

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

Dodgers have no need for Jay or Alonso. Β If this rumor is true, no reason to think some combo of the 3 names mentioned wouldn’t be involved

I guess I should have ended it wit "LOL". Sometimes my sense of humor is not easily detected.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Worth noting though wouldn’t he have had like the second highest OBP on our team last year still?

Yes, very true. Two different questions though. Is he a good player? Is he better than what the Sox currently have? Unfortunately the answer to both isnt always yes.

10 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

But he is right here. No prospects should be given up . If Dodgers truly are wanting Pollock and have to get rid of Hill and Pederson to do it any team that deals with them is doing them a favor. Hell they could turn round and then decide they want Harper and I certainly don't want to help them do that either.

Pederson has value though. This isn’t taking on a chase headley. Value will have to be returned but it may be mitigated taking on salary. It just depends on the prospect.

Just now, LittleHurt05 said:

Yes, very true. Two different questions though. Is he a good player? Is he better than what the Sox currently have? Unfortunately the answer to both isnt always yes.

With Pederson I think it clearly is yes though. He’s also only 26. He may still either make his strength better or mitigate his weaknesses.

58 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol...I was going to say the mods should just pin this at the top of every thread that involves trading forΒ a veteran so we can quicklyΒ get the whiningΒ out of the way.

Get the team ready to win, and trading prospects for some 2 year players might make some sense.Β  Successful rebuilders didn't make those kind of moves.
Meanwhile, continue to pine for the days of Frazier and those 76 wins.

Edited by GreenSox

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

With Pederson I think it clearly is yes though. He’s also only 26. He may still either make his strength better or mitigate his weaknesses.

I dont disagree, I wouldn't mind him. Just from my original comment, I can see a lot of the board quickly frowning upon him after watching him at the plate for a month or two.

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

Pederson has value though. This isn’t taking on a chase headley. Value will have to be returned but it may be mitigated taking on salary. It just depends on the prospect.

Β 

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

Β 

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yep two year of control, so he has more value than Puig or Wood.

But how much value does he have for the Sox and how much value are we giving the Dodgers ? It's not just player value we have to consider , it's situational value.

Dodgers are trying to win a World Series in 2019 and beyond, trying to make roster space for Pollock or maybe even Harper. That is worth something. What are the Sox trying to accomplish in 2019 and 2020, the years of Pederson control ? That answer appears to be nothing special. Therefore we are doing them a great service and that value should diminish the value of anything we give up in return. The 2 years we have him will only diminish his value when he becomes a corner OF . Is it possible he starts hitting lefties better .Very doubtful. The Dodgers know all this going forward and that's why he is the most expendable of their OF's.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Get the team ready to win, and trading prospects for some 2 year players might make some sense.Β  Successful rebuilders didn't make those kind of moves.
Meanwhile, continue to pine for the days of Frazier and those 76 wins.

The problem with your response if we don’t even know what the cost would be. Β If it’s Bummer & Fulmer that’s a tremendous move, if it’s Bryce Bush I think many of us would be pissed. Β Joc isn’t a declining rental either.

Something I've noticed:

Β 

When "news breakers" follow up their tweet with the "thought process" on why a team would make the move, it is a major tell that they are full of crap.Β  The "thought process" they are sharing is them explaining why THEY think this is something that might happen, and why THEY felt it was worth taking a stab at.Β Β 

If someone from a front office, or an agent just texts someone a hot tip, "news breakers" just say it is "what they heard", they don't speculate on the reasoning or attempt to defend the move.Β 

Edited by GREEDY
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The problem with your response if we don’t even know what the cost would be. Β If it’s Bummer & Fulmer that’s a tremendous move, if it’s Bryce Bush I think many of us would be pissed. Β Joc isn’t a declining rental either.

Yes it's fantastic if you think Fulmer is going to be nothing. But he still was a 1st round pick and still has potential.Pederson means nothing to the Sox after his 2 years are up. It;s just very difficult to give up on Fulmer for a guy who adds nothing in contention years except for possible trade value before his contract expires while his OF skills diminish as he gets older. How much longer do you think he can play CF ? Pederson was an 11th round pick that the Dodgers got great value from but they know his days of value are closing fast.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
10th rd to 11th rd.

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

If you think about it, it probably makes more sense for the Sox to sign Pollock. He is better than Joc. You don’t have to pay Hill $18-19 million for probably 125 innings. And you keep your prospects.

Β 

if it is just Fuller and Bummer, I could see why they would do it. But they have to add to that, it would be showing a lot of impatience.Β 

Pederson obviously isn't perfect, but he's significantly better than Engel. And if the Sox take on Hill's salary, Fulmer and Bummer might be enough to get it done. I hate giving up on Fulmer because he was such a high pick, Β but it seems unlikely that he'll ever figure it our with the Sox. A change of scenery might do him good. Bummer is alright but the Sox already have Fry and a coupleΒ other lefties in the system. I wouldn't give up Bryce Bush under any circumstances though.

18 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yes it's fantastic if you think Fulmer is going to be nothing. But he still was a 1st round pick and still has potential.Pederson means nothing to the Sox after his 2 years are up. It;s just very difficult to give up on Fulmer for a guy who adds nothing in contention years except for possible trade value before his contract expires while his OF skills diminish as he gets older. How much longer do you think he can play CF ? Pederson was a 10th round pick that the Dodgers got great value from but they know his days of value are closing fast.

If the Sox land Machado, we’ll certainly be trying to compete by 2020. Β Joc can fit into that. Β And honestly, if we add Joc that signals to me they plan on adding a SP and hope to have a non-zero chance at competing next year.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If the Sox land Machado, we’ll certainly be trying to compete by 2020. Β Joc can fit into that. Β And honestly, if we add Joc that signals to me they plan on adding a SP and hope to have a non-zero chance at competing next year.

If they do this move, I truly feel like it’s because they are gonna get Manny and plan on competing in 2019.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I'm looking more toward 2021. Kopech back and maybe Cease and Dunning in the rotation by 2020 and maybe even a whale free agent starting pitcher but Kopech , Cease and Dunning will still be very young (if they don't get injured again) and learningΒ  Still need to see major improvement of Giolito and Lopez to think we have a chance in 2020 along with some young OF also stepping up right away. Yes it's possible but realistically I don't see it. Joc isn't needed that badly for a 2020 chance.

Also even if the chances of getting both Harper and Machado are looking very slim I'd still like to keep those hopes alive and not allow the Dodgers to have a chance to get him if Hill becomes part of the deal .

• Heads22 changed the title to JocTalk.com - Waiting......