Joc Pederson: πŸ’€πŸ’€β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹πŸ’€β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹

NCsoxfan

36 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So if we are in the World Series in 2021 the rebuild is a failure ? How bout if we win it in 2022 or 2023 ?

It would be nearly impossible to sustain success as promised when trading the best pitcher the Sox have ever had if your not competitive until 2022-2023. SoΒ winning aΒ World Series in 2022 or 2023, while certainly a positive outcome, would be failing to deliver on what was pitched to the fan base to get them on board with garbage baseball.

Edited by mqr

1 minute ago, mqr said:

It would be nearly impossible to sustain success as promised when trading the best pitcher the Sox have ever had if your not competitive until 2022-2023. So being in a World Series in 2022 or 2023, while certainly a positive outcome, would be failing to deliver

Competitive can be achieved by 2020 if things go very well. I also said appearing in a WS in 2021 and winning it in 2022 or 23. Where did I say anything about not be competitive til until 2022/23 ? So great ,winning a WS in 2022 or 2023 would bother you a little you because there was a failure to deliver on sustained excellence ?

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Competitive can be achieved by 2020 if things go very well. I also said appearing in a WS in 2021 and winning it in 2022 or 23. Where did I say anything about not be competitive til until 2022/23 ? So great ,winning a WS in 2022 or 2023 would bother you a little you because there was a failure to deliver on sustained excellence ?

Ah I misread that.

But winning the thing wouldn't bother me, having to start over again almost immediately after would though.Β 

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

Not if the other option is punting 2020ο»Ώ

Well then it seems like you have a choice. You can start trading away those guys early to get your team ready in 2020 and be as depleted as the 2018 Cubs system by 2023, or you can hold onto your guys like the Astros, endure a 2016-like disappointment, but have replacements ready when your first round hits free agency like the Stros have right now.Β 

Just now, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Why would the Sox forfeit a high 2nd rounder for 2 years of Pollock?Β 

Only would make sense in the scenario in the post I quoted where the price on Joc gets much higher. I would rather have Joc but not if he ends up costing more than the relative value of that 2nd round pick

25 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Only would make sense in the scenario in the post I quoted where the price on Joc gets much higher. I would rather have Joc but not if he ends up costing more than the relative value of that 2nd round pick

Yeah I don't see any way the Sox give up the pick for anyone other than Harper.Β 

23 minutes ago, shipps said:

A3170960-F86F-4D4A-85B3-B962B0F849B8.jpeg

Consistent with what we all speculated. The fact that the braves are out helps...and if the cost is right our team becomes very respectable lineup wise with this and Manny. Unfortunately 1-2 year SP fliers are disappearing leaving us with Gio or Keuchel as the only options now if they want to make 2019 actually "competitive".Β 

I wonder what signing Manny, trading for Pederson and signing Dallas would do to the expected win rate...off to lookΒ  at projections.Β 

Okay, so I went and did some rough math work on the last idea and adding the 3 will net us:
Manny over Yolmer 5.0 vs 1.4 = +3.6 winsΒ  expected 28 million per salary
Pederson over Engel 3.3Β vs .1 = +3.2 winsΒ  Β expected 5 million per salaryΒ 
Keuchel over Giolito 3.1 vs .2 = +2.9 winsΒ  Β  expected 18 million per salaryΒ 

Total WaR for additions compared to current roster projections = +9.7 winsΒ  for 51-55 million increase in payroll.

This would put us roughly at 80 win projection for 2019. Add in a few lucky increases to developing talent and we could knock on the 82-83 win total. Not enough to win the division or a wild card, but definitely enough to keep the team interest high, increase attendance and start to build a positive team momentum to carry into 2020 when the calvary of pitching help and potentially the 5+ win additions of Madrigal and Robert/Outfield Prospect arrive with money to still add a key free agent that tips the scales.Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

I think it’s gonna be more than that. Just because there appear to be several teams involved, and you gotta beat all the bids you would feel good about to be the winner.Β 

Fry was reallly damn good last year though. Β Like top 15 for both K/9 &Β FIP amongst relievers with 50 innings pitched. Β Obviously he doesn’t have much of a track record and has two TJS’s hanging over his head, but five cheapΒ years of him could be incredibly valuable and helps the Dodgers immediately. Β Elite left-handed relievers typcially command big returns.Β 

That being said, maybe they prefer prospects that can be used in a potential KluberΒ or Realmuto trade. Β Just shocked the Sox would be willing to trade any of their top prospects for a guy with two years of control, especially after everything Hahn has said this offseason.

2 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

Interesting to see there hasn’t been anymore rumors with this and things have kinda gone quiet with us moving into Thursday now. Was hoping we would have landed him via trade by now.

Hahn must be putting together one helluva blockbuster trade for us!Β 

3 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

Interesting to see there hasn’t been anymore rumors with this and things have kinda gone quiet with us moving into Thursday now. Was hoping we would have landed him via trade by now.

I feel like this would be a domino effect move. If it's still being discussed, there are probably other moves still being worked on (like the Dodgers signing Pollock).

40 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Could also be connected to us and Manny.

That’d be my guess, no real pressing need for him if they don’t land Manny. So this could take awhile although are the dodgers going to wait out the Machado signing before they sign pollack?

It is now my personal mission in life to get everyone to spell Pollock correctly...

Β 

Pollack and Pollock. Pollack (Atlantic or Cornish). Pollack (with an 'a') is closely related to coley and the two are often confused. Whole fish range from 500g toΒ ..

Β 

In the contemporary English language, the nouns Polack or Polak are ethnic slurs and derogatory references to a person of Polish descent
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

It is now my personal mission in life to get everyone to spell Pollock correctly...

Β 

Pollack and Pollock. Pollack (Atlantic or Cornish). Pollack (with an 'a') is closely related to coley and the two are often confused. Whole fish range from 500g toΒ ..

Β 

In the contemporary English language, the nouns Polack or Polak are ethnic slurs and derogatory references to a person of Polish descent

POLAK?Β