Joc Pederson: πŸ’€πŸ’€β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹πŸ’€β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹

NCsoxfan

Let's say the Sox had Machado wrapped up back when #hatgate was going on, and wanted to announced it at Soxfest

how hard would it be to keep that information locked down until tomorrow, i find it really hard to believe that they've had him signed and would just keep it a secret

my guess, nothing cool happens tomorrow

Β 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Robert has more raw talent than anyone in the system. He has more raw talent than manny machado.Β 

Robert played as a 19 and 20 year old. He's young for his level and he impresses everyone who watches him. BP power matters when you're that young. He's younger than every top 10 prospect.

I have not posted much since signing up to post on this site,Β but I do read as many posts as possible. Β You have become one of my favorite posters since you joined the site. Β 

Your comments are almost exactly what a couple of scouts told me about Robert during the AFL season.Β 

I personally watched Robert play in 15 AFL games this past Fall and spoke to some scouts about him after games. Β  In the AFL, he struck out only 13 times in 79 PA’s so there was no evidence of the β€œswing and miss” comment made by another poster. Β IΒ know this is a small sample size and he did strike out at a much higher rate during the minor league season. Β However, the fact that he was battling through thumbΒ injuries during the minor league season and his hand was still stiff for a fairly long time after the cast was removed, scouts told me hisΒ stiff hand hampered his swing & bat speed, in which he was beaten by fast balls and it also sapped his power. Β Apparently, theΒ stiffness in his hand was finally gone when playing in the AFL as, like you said, he impressed everyone that I spoke with during the AFL. Β One scout said that he still needs to improve in recognizing off-speed pitches and some work on his swing so he is not yet aΒ finished product offensively. Β But, as you said,Β he is still very young and I think the sky is the limit for this kid. Β 

I agree with you that he may have more raw talent than anyone in the ourΒ system. Β  What I saw this Fall was a kid that can hit, hit for power (a blast of aΒ HR in Mesa & another to CF at Camelback), tremendous speed on the bases and great range in theΒ outfield and a very strong arm. Β In one game, he made a strong and perfectΒ throw from fairly deep RF on one hop to the catcher that should have easily nailed the runner at home, but the catcher somehowΒ missed the tag. Β 

Β 

Β 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, beckham15 said:

It’s supposed to be -30 wind chill overnight here, my kiddo had school cancelled so it looks like it’s going to be a good day to work from home.

My boss kind of hinted that we would be able to work from home today if it wasn't for the fact we have meetings all day in my department. However, it's supposed to snow late Sunday/early Monday and be really cold all week (highs of -6 and -9 on Wednesday and Thursday) so I'm thinking at least 2 days of working from home next week.

3 hours ago, Real said:

Let's say the Sox had Machado wrapped up back when #hatgate was going on, and wanted to announced it at Soxfest

how hard would it be to keep that information locked down until tomorrow, i find it really hard to believe that they've had him signed and would just keep it a secret

Β 

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Well, I'm going to run with this Pederson and Machado speculation and make out my lineup, versus RHP,Β with OBP being highlighted. That was one of the team'sΒ biggest weaknesses, so it merits the emphasis:

Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β CAREER OBP Β LASTΒ YEAR Β PROJECTED (COMPOSITE OF STEAMER & ROTO CHAMP)

2B Moncada Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β .319 Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β .315 Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  .323

CF JonΒ Jay Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  .352Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  .330 Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β .334

3B Machado Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β .335 Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β  .367 Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  .352

DH Abreu Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  .353 Β  Β  Β  Β Β Β  Β  .325 Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  .339

1B Β Alonso Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β  Β .317 Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β .336 Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  .326

LF Β Jimenez Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  .338

RF Β Pederson Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  .339 Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  .329 Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β  Β .339

C Β Castillo Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  .318Β Β Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β .323* Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  .296

SS Anderson Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β .286Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β .281 Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β  Β  Β .286

*LAST FULL SEASON

If you factor in the OBP versus RHP, with the 3 new left handed hitters, andΒ the numbers look even better. Now, add another #2 or #3 starter and 2019 could be fun.

Edited by Lillian
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Real said:

Β 

But, I will be locked in for the live coverage! 4:00PM, right? Looking forward to an interesting night, hopefully.

Look at the career OBP's for the 3 new LH bats, versus RHP, which is dominant in our Division:

Jon Jay Β  Β  Β  Β  .350 Β  (His are actually better vs. LHP)

Alonso. Β  Β  Β  Β .346

Pederson. Β  .355

You know me and my preference for LH hitters, especially now, with so few good southpawsΒ in our Division. This would make me a very happy camper. LOL.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There's aΒ small part of me that wants to not give up on Fulmer just yet given that he was such a high pick, but it seems like the odds of becoming an MLB caliber pitcher with the Sox are pretty slim right now. A change of scenery would probably do him good. TheΒ Sox would be getting Joc out of the dealΒ and they have a lot of other high quality relief pitcher prospectsΒ so I guess I can't be too upset about it.

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in that if we get Pederson for Fulmer/Bummer and a low level piece like Laz then that's a helluva deal for the Sox. Laz would hurt the most but if this is a move made with Manny close to being a Sox than they did well unclogging the low level infield a bit.

Edited by TheTruth05

11 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

There's aΒ small part of me that wants to not give up on Fulmer just yet given that he was such a high pick, but it seems like the odds of becoming an MLB caliber pitcher with the Sox are pretty slim right now. A change of scenery would probably do him good. TheΒ Sox would be getting Joc out of the dealΒ and they have a lot of other high quality relief pitcher prospectsΒ so I guess I can't be too upset about it.

Was it LA that just hired a big driveline guy?

This deal (proposed) seems so weak for them but makes sense if they know he finally figured stuff out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheTruth05 said:

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in that if we get pederson for Fulmer/Bummer and a low level piece like Laz then that's a helluva deal for the Sox. Laz would hurt the most but if this is move made with Manny close than the Sox did well unclogging the low level infield a bit.

"Close" Hell, I'm considering it a fait accompli.Β πŸ˜€

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Real said:

Β 

It would be darn near criminal. A deal isn't complete until it's filed with the league office and it would show up in the papers if it was filed. If it hasn't been filed, then it's not complete and it's not an agreement. Machado's side could back out or receive a better offer elsewhere and demand to renegotiate the terms.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It would be darn near criminal. A deal isn't complete until it's filed with the league office and it would show up in the papers if it was filed. If it hasn't been filed, then it's not complete and it's not an agreement. Machado's side could back out or receive a better offer elsewhere and demand to renegotiate the terms.

Moving past this silliness, are you going to ripΒ the trade if the rumored package is true?

48 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Look at the career OBP's for the 3 new LH bats, versus RHP, which is dominant in our Division:

Jon Jay Β  Β  Β  Β  .350 Β  (His are actually better vs. LHP)

Alonso. Β  Β  Β  Β .346

Pederson. Β  .355

You know me and my preference for LH hitters, especially now, with so few good southpawsΒ in our Division. This would make me a very happy camper. LOL.

I did notice that too about Jay. He holds against lefties for sure and doesn't need to be platooned.

7 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Hopefully Laz has no where to play anyway, with Machado, Anderson, Moncada, and Madrigal all taking up spots in the IF, but I was really curious to find out what he could be.

You say Machado is taking up a spot like it's all but done.. I hope you're right.Β 

17 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Someone please explain how my dream "conspiracy" could still be true, in light of this sobering word, from "Balta". Is it really all that implausible? Is there a way that the deal could be solidified, and still not have it published? Would postponing a pending physical, until after the announcement, lock in the player, without having it become official?

Edited by Lillian

6 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Someone please explain how my dream "conspiracy" could still be true, in light of this sobering word, from "Balta". Is it really all that implausible? Is there a way that the deal could be solidified, and still not have it published? Would postponing a pending physical, until after the announcement, lock in the player, without having it become official?

Yankees reached an agreement with Ottavino last week. It wasnt made official until late yesterday. Machado's contract is going to be far more complex that a middle relievers. The timing wouldnt actually be a big deal, but yeah theres no chance that's actually what happened.

26 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Moving past this silliness, are you going to ripΒ the trade if the rumored package is true?

Honestly I'll probably take the strategy I took in 2016, which is to shut my mouth and let everyone else celebrate until it's May and we're sitting in 4th place wondering how our shiny new toys turned out to work so poorly.Β 

I will rip this org if they miss out on MM though and compliment them if they get it done. 100% promise.Β 

• Like 3