Joc Pederson: πŸ’€πŸ’€β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹πŸ’€β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹

NCsoxfan

2 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Well that I find absolutely ridiculous. Where do you possibly rank Rutherford among our top 7 OF prospects???

Just not interested in losing any good prospects for a 2 year player when one of those years is a throw-away year.Β Β 

Edited by GreenSox

13 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Just not interested in losing any good prospects for a 2 year player when one of those years is a throw-away year.Β Β 

If we get Machado and Pederson, you don't think the Sox have a GREAT shot to compete in 2020, and maybe even an outside chance in 2019 if everything goes right? And if they aren't doing so hot to start 2020....you can just flip Joc at the deadline. To not trade for him straight up withΒ prospect not even in our top 10 is bonkers to me. Pederson is a 3+ WAR player. They don't grow on trees.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

The ranking among our OF prospects is somewhat irrelevant.Β  He do have an abundance of good OF prospects, but that doesn't mean we should sell low on them.Β  As I just said in the post above, I'd be fine moving Rutherford in a deal, but not in a deal for a guy with 2 years of control in a window that is unlikely for hte team the be competitive.

And to answer your question, I would put him 4th or 5th.Β  Eloy, Robert, Adolfo, Rutherford/Basabe, Gonzalez.Β  I think Rutherford, Basabe and Gonzalez are on about equal footing in terms of future value IMO, thoughΒ I am not saying they are comparable players.Β 

I have to agree with you. When you start comparing Rutherford ,Gonzales. Basabe and Adolfo any one of them could end up better than the others. I left out Eloy and Robert because they are hand and shoulders above the others but even Robert is no sure thing due to injuries but the ceiling is huge and being a CF you have to rank him as more valuable.

Playing russian roulette with the other 4 means you are just as likely to get shot as you are to stay alive, I think he's a corner OF but every team has 2 corner OF's and the better they are the better your team. Rutherford has the frame to hit for power and according to baseball ref. he was actually 1.5 years younger than league average in A+. Just seems like every time I read something from a poster here it's that Rutherford isn't that good. I'm expecting a big year from him maybe not in HR's but he's going to spray the ball all over that bigger park and my guess is he hits just as many HR's as last year if not more. If he can adjust quickly I suspect he will be getting a lot of doubles and triples.

All 4 seem like really good hitters , some needed time to adjust to a level some did not. Some have more power at the moment but that can change when you are 22 . OBP seems good for all of them. BasabeΒ  switch hitter, Adolfo right handed , Gonzalez and Rutherford left handed. Gonzalez and Basabe seem more likely to stay in CF also so that versatility is a big plus. All of them seem capable of top 100 status .

Future Sox ranks it Adolfo 7, Basabe 9, Gonzalez 10, Rutherford 11 out of our top 30. Baseball America ranks Adolfo 6 , Rutherford 8, Gonzalez 9 and Basabe not in our top 10. MLB PipelineΒ  Rutherford 7 , Basabe 9, Adolfo 11 Gonzalez 14. Rutherford retaining a bit of his sheen and luster from being a Yankee 1st round pick.Β  Not a lot of conclusive stuff about who is best. I'd hate to be the one who traded the wrong one.

There's some impressive talentΒ  down on the farm. I prefer they let them play and see who becomes the real deal.

It sounds like the Indians have all but closed the doors on any Kluber trade. According to Morosi and a number of other people - Kluber trade talks are dead. He's expected to report to spring training this week with the indians.

I like to think that this increases our chances forΒ  a Pederson trade to happen. No top outfield prospects going back to Cleveland now if trade is off. So they might want to unload Joc for some pitching?

Edited by smellysox

6 minutes ago, smellysox said:

It sounds like the Indians have all but closed the doors on any Kluber trade. According to Morosi and a number of other people - Kluber trade talk is dead. He's expected to report to spring training this week with the indians.

I like to think that this increases our chances forΒ  a Pederson trade to happen. No top outfield prospects going back to Cleveland now if trade is off. So they might want to unload Joc for some pitching?

I think the Realmuto trade also makes Pederson a likely trade candidate since the Dodgers aren't getting him hence won't be moving Verdugo.Β  I don't think anything happens though with Joc until Harpchado is figured out.Β  At least anything considering us and Joc.

34 minutes ago, bmags said:

Sounds like they are dead then.

Yeah it doesn't really seem like the Dodgers need to deal him. Never really felt that way. They can go into the year with Verdugo in the minors and trade him during the season for help. For bullpen help, there are still guys they can sign and probably get them on minor league deals.

Edited by soxfan2014

It was always kinda weird to me that suddenly the dodgers were worried about redundancy. Pederson is cheap and still complemented their team. Getting him for basically rehab projects was bizarre. But la has always liked some of our mid level/low prospects more than other teams.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

It was always kinda weird to me that suddenly the dodgers were worried about redundancy. Pederson is cheap and still complemented their team. Getting him for basically rehab projects was bizarre. But la has always liked some of our mid level/low prospects more than other teams.

equally weird that the story was being broke by a high school kid

The Dodgers have a lot of flexibility with their roster.Β  Verdugo and Bellinger could very well become the everyday corner outfielders, with Muncy at 1B and Hernandez at 2B.Β  Chris Taylor would move into a super utility role, and be the primary backup for just about everyone.Β  Pederson is expendable and I don't think the absence of Toles will affect that.

10 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

The Dodgers have a lot of flexibility with their roster.Β  Verdugo and Bellinger could very well become the everyday corner outfielders, with Muncy at 1B and Hernandez at 2B.Β  Chris Taylor would move into a super utility role, and be the primary backup for just about everyone.Β  Pederson is expendable and I don't think the absence of Toles will affect that.

I'm not sure I would bet on a guy like Max Muncy repeating the year he had last year. Also, Hernandez is more of a bench player himself than a starter.

1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

I'm not sure I would bet on a guy like Max Muncy repeating the year he had last year. Also, Hernandez is more of a bench player himself than a starter.

Pederson is definitely expendable if they hold onto Verdugo, which at this point it sure seems they are.Β  The Pollock move doesn't make a ton of sense if they were married to Joc.Β  Now...that doesn't mean they'll just give him away for Aaron Bummer.Β Β 

LF: Verdugo

CF: Pollock

RF: Bellinger

3B: Turner

SS: Seager

2B: Taylor

1B: Muncy

Supersub: Hernandez

21 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Pederson is definitely expendable if they hold onto Verdugo, which at this point it sure seems they are.Β  The Pollock move doesn't make a ton of sense if they were married to Joc.Β  Now...that doesn't mean they'll just give him away for Aaron Bummer.Β Β 

LF: Verdugo

CF: Pollock

RF: Bellinger

3B: Turner

SS: Seager

2B: Taylor

1B: Muncy

Supersub: Hernandez

While this is true, wouldn't it make more sense for them to keep Pederson and use Verdugo as the centerpiece in a trade for a guy like Kluber?

2 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

While this is true, wouldn't it make more sense for them to keep Pederson and use Verdugo as the centerpiece in a trade for a guy like Kluber?

Potentially yah.Β  But if that trade was going to happen, whyΒ didn't it happen in the offseason?Β  I don't see the Indians trading Kluber midseason.Β  But yah, Verdugo could definitely be used to get a starter.Β Β 

That being said, the Dodgers aren't exactly short on SP. Kershaw, Buehler, Ryu, Hill, Maeda, Urias, Stripling....I don't think they really need to trade a young stud OF for a SP right now.Β Β